The Whitewater Canyon Snake Incident

WesReviews

I've been going to Kings Island for over 25 years now, but this one summer, when I was around 14 or 15 was one of the most memorable. After riding Whitewater Canyon with my family, we were strolling along the concrete trail through the woods back to the rest of the park, when I looked over in the dirt next to the path. Right there in front of me, coiled up and moving ever so slightly was a copperhead snake, of around medium size.

Being deathly afraid of snakes (except the occasional King Cobra ;)) I ran back to the park as fast as I could, and my family followed suit. Copperheads are very, very dangerous.

Has anyone else encountered this at the park or ever heard of it being encountered at the park? And, does anyone know what the park does to prevent snakes and other animals from wandering into the park? I know with the park being located in such a wooded area that snakes and other critters are especially difficult to prevent. I certainly hope their snake prevention has gotten better since my incident. I've just not had much of a desire to ride Whitewater Canyon since. :(

Snakes are common at KI, specifically in the wooded area around WWC. I've seen a few there myself.

Actually I've seen several critters there. Once a skunk walked across a path about 20 feet in front of me. Neddless to say, I ran the other way. Also, I have seen possums and chipmunks.

When I worked FOF, raccoons used to get in the building/trains from time ot time. I will spare you the details of how they were removed.

I expect the critters have a hard time adjusting to their territory being invaded during the operational months.

However there was a pic online a few seasons ago of a black snake crossing a path at BGW, it measured over 8 feet long. Eeeeeyiikes!

Shaggy

I didn't know cooperheads were common in these parts? I know down here at Eastern Kentucky University that they warn us to be on the lookout of cooperheads not necessairly on campus as much as the woods and trails around us

The color of the snake and its head shape were unmistakable. Being from Eastern Kentucky, I've become accustomed to seeing the copperheads, usually at least once every other summer or so. In fact, I almost didn't see the snake because of its deep brown/reddish color. I had to step closer to finally notice what it was, and once I saw, I didn't linger a moment longer. :)

Last season, there was a snake in the tent over the "virtual reality" chair whatchamacallit next to the entrance to "Adventure Express". It was hunting a bird's nest. It was rather large and had the staff perplexed. How did he get up there and how are we going to get him down?

SMD

I didn't know cooperheads were common in these parts? I know down here at Eastern Kentucky University that they warn us to be on the lookout of cooperheads not necessairly on campus as much as the woods and trails around us

The color of the snake and its head shape were unmistakable. Being from Eastern Kentucky, I've become accustomed to seeing the copperheads, usually at least once every other summer or so. In fact, I almost didn't see the snake because of its deep brown/reddish color. I had to step closer to finally notice what it was, and once I saw, I didn't linger a moment longer. :)

I wasn't doubting you I just had never seen or heard of anyone seeing one in the Cincy area

First Post woohoo!

Ten years ago I worked for the security dept at KI. You would be amazed at how many critters run through that park at night time. Snakes, deer, racoons, skunks, and as the story went a lion got out of its enclosure one night when they still had the monorail train ride and was walking by the fountains on International Street. I have never seen a snake during the day at the park when it was open but I was stopped by security at the Beach Waterpark one time due to a snake on the trail to a slide.

I would not worry to much about the snakes. I am scared to death of bees but that does not keep me from riding (although the yellow jackets by bubba gumps last year freaked me out a little).

Paul

In late 2004, October I think, I was heading out of the park and walking along the path from Rivertown to the Floral Clock. When I was walking by that small section across from Paradise Island where there's some rocks and trees there by the path, there were a couple security guards and a small crowd watching. I went closer and there was a rattler coiled up there on a rock. They ended up hooking it with a trash picker and trapping it in a box.

In 2004 when I worked at Top Gun, there was a morning that we came in, and there was a snake on the track at the end of the station right next to the drive box. No joke at all. How did it get there? No Idea. I remember one of my fellow crew members used a hight stick to remove it from the track and trapped it on the station floor under a bin that we had. We proceded to call the grounds crew and they came and removed it.

I always enjoy seeing the cats that inhabit the park.

One morning shortly after Top Gun premiered at the park, I found what I thought was a Boy Scout flashlight (navy green with the crooked neck) lying on the concrete right before you got to the old jet plane on display. I started to bend over to inspect it when I suddenly realized it was not a flashlight, but rather a copperhead. And yes, I didn't pick it up. I did tell the ride ops when I got to the station, and security came, but they were unable to locate the suspect, who had apparently slithered away. I have also been informed by Cinci locals that there are no copperheads there, but I know what I saw. Perhaps the reptile decided to vacation at Paramount's Kings Island.

I have also been informed by Cinci locals that there are no copperheads there, but I know what I saw. Perhaps the reptile decided to vacation at Paramount's Kings Island.

Same here. Copperheads are fairly distinct in contrast to other snakes. Their bodies are not very long (in human terms, they would be considered "short and stocky"), they have reddish brown bands, and their head is shaped much like an arrowhead. They may not be extremely common in Cincy, but I am 100% positive that what I saw was a copperhead, and am certain that they reside in the area (if only in low numbers).

Hey man i live in Richmond to. I havent seen an copperheads around here just the usual garder snake or cowsucker (Black) snake.

Copperheads are rare but not unheard of in this part of Ohio. Every once in a while, in especially long hot summers, a few timber rattlers will migrate into Ohio. As for critters at KI, I have seen groundhogs (1 on sunday in the grass south of The Beast's first hill and 1 last year that had actually dug its hole under Vortex). And possums (or opossums, depending on how you spell it). And rabbits and Great Blue Herons (in the lakes.)

And, BTW, black snakes, even though they are big, are actually very pleasant animals. When I worked my college summer job on the grounds crew of a golf course, we welcomed the black snakes because they kept the rabbits, racoons and other digging rodents away and made our job easier. But the old ladies playing golf in the morning weren't real happy when they would crawl onto the fairways and cart paths to warm themselves in the sun early in the day........ So, needless to say, I handled black snakes a lot and found that they were not aggressive at all. It got to the point where I would just pick them up with my bare hands without a problem. Probably because they were cold......

Before Kings Island was built, I used to see lots of black snakes while hiking there. I once saw a cotton mouth somes years back in the water (before it was drained) by The Beast. When I used to empty the trash by Rivertown Pizza, I used to run into all kinds of raccoons by the trash dumpster in the early morning. I always had to rack on the fence to let them know that I was approaching. Last thing I wanted was to have rabbi shots due to beinga bitten by one of those critters.

Mike

Guest kwindshawne

Copperheads here? Oh, crap. I have never seen a snake at KI, but have seen possums, skunks and a deer. Skunks are bad at Eiffel Tower at closing-yuk!!

Guest kwindshawne
There are also a bunch of ferral cats that live on the grounds.

I've seen that too come to think of it..there was a white one by the gate most of the summer last year, by the end of the year it was looking kinda ragged. A chipmunk danced around my feet last year too-that was pretty cool!!

Hey man i live in Richmond to. I havent seen an copperheads around here just the usual garder snake or cowsucker (Black) snake.

I just know I was warned multiple times verbally and was even given a book where a whole page was dedicated on what to do if you see one and get bite by one. I have heard if you go to the Pinnacles you could see one if you look in the right spots.

DAAAAANG! Now I'll be scared to even go near parts of the park. I don't like just about any outdoor critters...especially snakes and wasps/bees etc. (which is bad considering the stinkin' Wasp Infestation at the top of "Drop Tower" and the lift hill of SOB last season)

I never noticed any wasps at the top of any ride because I too hate wasps and bees

This story sort of applies to the topic.

Back when the safari ride was still there, apparently animals broke out rather often. A lion cub escaped at some point and ended up in my mother's neighbor's garage. How crazy would it be to open your door and see a baby lion in your garage?

Now that I write it out, it seems pretty out there, but I'm just reporting what she's told me.