The Beast!

bday123

Does anyone else out there think that our beloved "Beast" deserves a new paint job....staining...whatever?

Are there any plans in the future being discussed?

I know, I know....track work is much more important....and it looked like on opening day that they have been doing just that.

Also noticed alot of new wood stacked just outside of the double helix to suggest that the track work was still on-going.

I don't know about The Beast, but Flight Deck could use a new paint job. I thought with the change of name, KI would decide what color scheme they would use (new or otherwise) yet it's still needing it.

If they are doing track work to the Beat then they'll probably wait till it's done to paint/stain it.

I definitely noticed the stacks of wood by The Beast. I also noticed where fresh wood had been added around the helixes. I would think they would wait until they're all finished with retracking or rewooding (?) then stain.

The nice thing about The Beast is that it hides fading very well because of the stain used on the wood and because it's tucked back in the woods where most of the ride can't be seen so people won't notice fading as much.

I think if CF wanted to start painting rides, they would start with the ones that can be seen by the guests more like FD, or Racer.

Like stated before, it would make perfect sence to finish the work before staining. To add something...I noticed on one of the "Did you know?" signs around the park that it takes 4,000 gallons of stain to cover The Beast. Could this be general knowledge to the maintainance crew, or do you think they might have just bought 4,000 gallons of stain to re-stain The Beast, and thought that it would be a fun fact to post in the park.

Wooden coasters always receive some new wood every offseason (usually anyway). Retracking is when the park replaces some of the eight layers of wood that make up the actual track, and replace the steel running rails. That being said, the park will often replace wood that makes up the structure, the handrails, the batter braces etc. Wood often deteriorates when it is exposed to the elements. Especially on rides like The Beast, and Racer which are 29 and 36 years old respectively.

And were built with wood that was not pressure-treated as it is today. The staining served a purpose other than just aesthetic. There once was a park that stripped a wooden coaster that was not built of pressure-treated wood. And now that park has had to rebuild large portions of the ride...in fact, it isn't even open yet for the season. What a surprise.