Time To Smell The Tulips

Introduction; My family consisting of my daughter, wife and myself decided to go to Kings Island on April 20, 2008 for Kings Islands opening day. we have been getting season passes for the last several years and felt like this would be a great day to get our passes processed and to take a look around the park without worrying about crowd sizes or to ride a lot of rides. Basically we just wanted to spend some quality outside time together and to smell the roses but it was the tulips that we smelt that day.

We arrived around 10 o’clock and my wife and daughter got in the season processing line which stretched back half way to the center road in the parking lot.

I had already processed my pass last fall so I decided to get my Cedar Fair pullover and to go on in the park to take some pictures around International Street, so my wife and daughter would not haft to follow me around as I like to take a closer look at the area.

I noticed the park looked very clean and the tulips where in full bloom

0_0_3c201f68c7c8d246ab4d20cc04bf2146_1.j

By this time my wife called and said they had entered the processing center so I went over to the new Cinnabon shop

0_0_293520e95e845b72b77921fe4cf2a37d_1.j

I ordered a Carmel Pecanbon for $4.79

0_0_257aa5477f1462ed1f7226c8f95be8e1_1.j

I tried to order a soda in a souvenir cup but was told they don’t offer them there and I would need to go next door to LaRosa’s to get one. I was happy to see the new uniforms on the employees and they all seemed helpful and friendly, which helps when you’re paying $6.99 for a souvenir cup that is just a basic plastic cup.

0_0_78bf4a524929d1124820c76a53ac7353_1.j

We shared the sweet treat and because rides where not our focus today we where not in any rush and decided to do some shopping for new merchandise, the wife says she likes the new items especially the girls shop.

0_0_14b516ce0b26b0967432ab33324ab09f_1.j

Next we took a picture in front of the Royal Fountain so we can keep it for future reference of the family progress over the years. In the picture below is a rare picture of me for three reasons 1 I usually will not wear logo shirts 2 I had jeans on and 3 I very rarely wear tennis shoes out in public and I wish I did not on this day as my feet got very sore as the day went on.

0_0_f0e654c15f0316b78d378de83193cc34_1.j

0_0_f2d1a57bb9fb51efa3f518194f0f99b5_1.j

From their we decided to walk through Nickelodeon Universe and Miss Rae did find a couple rides that had a small line so she rode those

0_0_6db7d1c9e6d33b74e804d076aa60f081_1.j

From there we checked out the construction

0_0_bfceb54bb7dffe59c72f954f0beea138_1.j

Then we went to ride The Beast and had a great checker named Gabriel who took my daughter to the kids section for us, after I left I realized I lost my phone on the ride so I doubled back and Gabriel saw me coming up the exit and told me he found the phone and where it was to get it. KI has really got some very friendly employees this year who go above and beyond.

We rode the last seat on the Train and had a great conversation with Evan; I have recognized him from seasons past. I did see more construction while riding on the train

0_0_3fb878f1484f998ff1f70aa5e03cb82c_1.j

Miss Rae noticed the Elephant Ear stand and wanted one while the wife said she missed the fries from Potato Works

0_0_0ecd5825c55ebf468015173a61d9a6bb_1.j

We where suppose to share the snacks but Miss Rae grabbed the Elephant Ear with both hands and started eating it

0_0_00d92cb1c5fffef97f229d8ba9fb9ea1_1.j

and would did not stop until it was almost gone

0_0_50c69cb85717c3a02a2817d569b1b2ec_1.j

We then went over to watch the new show in the Festhaus and truly liked it as we do like all sort of entertainment.

From there Miss Rae wanted to ride a couple more rides so we took her back and waited in the longest line of the day for Plankton Plunge

I decided to let my wife watch Miss Rae while I tried to get in a Red Racer ride in and Back Lot Stunt Coaster

0_0_86a6bc2028fad68aad0ea3134f79831e_1.j

It was getting to be around 7 o’clock and my feet was getting sore so I called the wife and told her to meet me back at International Street when ever they where ready and I was just going to shoot some more pictures with the sun shining brightly on the Royal Fountain.

0_0_939cdc4f1fcdc84ee903c0ba6a6be3d0_1.j

0_0_ec8e44db8e536fd09264cdbc89a76f73_1.j

0_0_6ccebf853fda9fe3ea69adc8a41702d6_1.j

0_0_aae45b0ab80b30d5616d259389b90582_1.j

Well after that we meet up and left the park to get a affordable meal at Frisch’s north of the park. Notice that even though Miss Rae did not share her Elephant Ear with us, I still like a good father let her take over my salad

0_0_188c05112e6076e3ebdffc2672a80c49_1.j

Frisch’s will become a regular meal stop when we visit because of its value

0_0_b5a248b7005b68968744751c281cd40a_1.j

In Conclusion; Our trip was a success as we had a wonderful family day at Kings Island and even though the park was a little busy we hardly noticed as we where there to just smell the tulips. I really like the uniforms of the employees and the much cleaner park it really showed that the park worked hard to bring the park back to some classiness that I have felt had vanished a few years back. I think Cedar Fair was correct this year in getting back to the basics that makes visits memorable. Nostalgia has never looked so good.

Nice photos and nice trip report. It seems like you know what the good family values of Kings Island are all about. By the way was your phone red and a flip phone because when i was in line for The Beast that nice checker named Gabriel picked up a red phone that someone had left behind.

Woah, where do they sell elephant ears? I thought those were gone with the old pastry shop that was where Starbucks now stands. Those were a family tradition for me! But anyways I'm glad you had fun and I'm looking forward to going soon.

Thanks everyone

was your phone red and a flip phone because when i was in line for The Beast that nice checker named Gabriel picked up a red phone that someone had left behind.

No mine was a palm trio and it would cost a lot to replace. Coming down the exit was a security guard as I was going up and Gabriel pointed him out to me. He had about six cell phones, sunglasses and other items. I described mine to him and told him what the owner info would say on the phone, he gave it right to me.

Woah, where do they sell elephant ears? I thought those were gone with the old pastry shop that was where Starbucks now stands. Those were a family tradition for me! But anyways I'm glad you had fun and I'm looking forward to going soon.

To the right of the entrance to White Water Canyon is a food stand called Sweet Treats included below is the picture of the menu last Sunday. HTH

0_0_d510fdf49effe1cab5420a01196a666a_1.j

Wow, Avatar, great trip report and so good to see an update on your family! I can't believe how big Miss Rae is getting. I look forward to hopefully seeing you again soon at the park! I didn't get the chance to go opening weekend but will be down at the park this weekend. And by the way, this photo: http://cdn-1-service.phanfare.com/images/e...8a41702d6_1.jpg

AWESOME!

One funny thing I noticed though. Towards the end of the summer last season, before I left for school, there was like three times in one week where Dane, Boddah, and I went to the park for a few hours in the evening to photograph the fireworks then went to Frischs afterwards. How come our bills were never that cheap?

You really managed to make it feel laid back.

ichase – We were very laid back that day some days we do hustle in the mornings, I belong to a paid Disney site that teaches and shares how to tour the parks in a fashion that goes opposite to the way the general public will tour. I apply a lot of those techniques to Kings Island during certain times of the year and certain dates, so if the park is busy we tend to tour differently. This also helps future visits to become boring.

EDIT: Great TR. I'm looking forward to more TRs from you.

kawana – I am very excited about a coming up meet-up probably really soon, I know I will be tacking several pictures and will want to share this experience here.

I can't believe how big Miss Rae is getting. by the way, this photo: http://cdn-1-service.phanfare.com/images/e...8a41702d6_1.jpg

AWESOME!

One funny thing I noticed though. Towards the end of the summer last season, before I left for school, there was like three times in one week where Dane, Boddah, and I went to the park for a few hours in the evening to photograph the fireworks then went to Frischs afterwards. How come our bills were never that cheap?

Ronny – The only two possibilities I can try to offer for the higher bill at Frisch’s is; check your bill for extra food you never ordered and the most likely option is that I have witnessed times of get together that food has often found its way to be worn on ones clothing and not eaten, this could run a bill up in a quick hurry.

To everyone thanks for the comments and yes Miss Rae is growing quick and into fashion. Also thanks for the compliments on the one photo I just used a point and shot camera and when I was there and could see the sun glowing on the fountain I said to myself I bet Ronny and Dane could take some spectacular pictures with there camera’s. So Ronny a compliment coming from you about one of my pictures is an honor.

Just a small tip to KICentral members; in the morning the sun is behind the tower and therefore puts shadows on guest’s faces and their pictures. In the evening the sun shines from behind the old International Restaurant and that is the best time to take pictures of the fountain and a picture by the Kings Island sign, plus it’s less crowded then.