Eiffel Tower & wind gusts

dakota2112

This might be too technical of a question - but does anyone in here know what maximum windspeed the Eiffel Tower was designed to safely withstand? I have an engineering background and have always been curious about this. I'm not fond of heights to begin with, and I know that thing sways noticeably on a windy day. (I realize flexing is good of course. But then I start recalling those classes on fatigue failure... :unsure::P )

The more practical side of this question is, do they close the tower in high wind conditions?

Think about how bad the wind might feel on the real Eiffel Tower in France.

I have had the opportunity to visit the real tower in France and while it is quite windy, it's really not to bad.

As far as KI, I don't recall the tower ever being closed for high winds while I worked there. Drop Zone was closed quite a bit for high winds though.

It can definitely withstand more wind than the original sign. ;)

JK maybe not, because I don't know if the same straight-line winds that left damage from Mason-Montgomery road all the way to Kings Mills in 2003 blew against the tower with the same speed/force. Either way, ET's a tough ol' thing.

JK maybe not, because I don't know if the same straight-line winds that left damage from Mason-Montgomery road all the way to Kings Mills in 2003 blew against the tower with the same speed/force. Either way, ET's a tough ol' thing.

You have to remember that the Tower is built to allow air to move through most of it's stucture. If the Tower was completely solid like the KI sign in the parking lot is/was, then they would really have a problem with the winds.

I am pretty sure that the straight line winds did not hit the Eiffel Tower with as much force as the sign. I live about a half mile from where the straight line winds hit and we didn't get a bit of damage, I think it was like a tornado in that if the structure wasn't hit the damage was minimal. In my opinion if the Tower had been hit head on by the straight line winds it would have toppled.

If you ever have the opportunity to be at the park during an electrical storm, watch the tower. The supervisor at International Pizza and I used to stand on the patio and watch lightning strike the tower. When it happens, it gives off a real pale blue color very briefly.

.... Hmmm, maybe it's not the best idea to recommend people stand outside in a storm....

.... anyway, I've always thought it was interesting

If you ever have the opportunity to be at the park during an electrical storm, watch the tower. The supervisor at International Pizza and I used to stand on the patio and watch lightning strike the tower. When it happens, it gives off a real pale blue color very briefly.

.... Hmmm, maybe it's not the best idea to recommend people stand outside in a storm....

.... anyway, I've always thought it was interesting

LOL THATS AWESOME!!!! now i actually WANT to go on a day it storms during the season just to see this lol...of course i would be under some type of shelter though lol

I am pretty sure that the straight line winds did not hit the Eiffel Tower with as much force as the sign. I live about a half mile from where the straight line winds hit and we didn't get a bit of damage, I think it was like a tornado in that if the structure wasn't hit the damage was minimal. In my opinion if the Tower had been hit head on by the straight line winds it would have toppled.

I'm pretty sure the same winds hit the sign as the tower. The tower as the interpreter said is made to withstand more force AND is hollow to allow wind to pass through, where obviously the sign is not.

However, due to the constant same direction winds on the Eiffel Tower it is necessary for the park to rotate the Eiffel Tower 180 degrees every 4 years. The last time was the off season after 2004, next time will be this up coming off season. It's quite interesting how it is done.

The maximum wind speed the Eiffel Tower at KI can take is 375.4 MPH.

Yeah, but at that point we'd be less worried about the Eiffel Tower and more worried about how the Seventh Seal was broken and 1/3 of all the oceans boiled and 1/3 of all of the ships in the oceans were destroyed.

However, due to the constant same direction winds on the Eiffel Tower it is necessary for the park to rotate the Eiffel Tower 180 degrees every 4 years. The last time was the off season after 2004, next time will be this up coming off season. It's quite interesting how it is done.

Angus-Bull-136.JPG

Wow, I didn't know that. It must take a lot of skill, ingenuity and cheese.

"However, due to the constant same direction winds on the Eiffel Tower it is necessary for the park to rotate the Eiffel Tower 180 degrees every 4 years. The last time was the off season after 2004, next time will be this up coming off season. It's quite interesting how it is done."

??? Are you serious. Man would I like to see that get done...

Wow, I didn't know that. It must take a lot of skill, ingenuity and cheese.

It actually only takes two guys and a chiwawa to complete.

I think that they've moved the rotation to every 3 years or 6K Miles.

While I was at the park today we decided to go up the tower. It was the last thing we did today and the winds were very strong. On the way up they had the elevator moving very slow and you could feel the wind coming through the cracks in the doors. They said they were running it in slow mode because of the winds. I for one didnt really like it up on top of there with all the wind. It was being blown around like a rag doll. We decided to sit down on the side that didnt have much wind and you could feel it sway back and forth. It was very interesting

Why exactly did you sit down? As I`ve said before, all structures have to sway some with lateral forces. As the saying goes, 'if it doesn`t shake, it will brake'.

The taller building and structures are, the more they will deflect at the top. In fact, the lateral forces (and the resulting deflection) on some tall high rises becomes the primary design factor for loads, not the gravity loads of the tower itself. And some buildings have what is called a "tuned mass damper" at the top. This is essentially a large mass at the top of the tower (usually concrete or steel). It is tuned to counteract and reduce the lateral deflection of the building caused by the winds.

If you are honestly dumb enough to trip over a human being, then you shouldn't be on top of the Eiffel Tower anyways. I highly doubt someone tripping would be any hazard either, it's a full cage, and you aren't going to fall through the floor.

There are many, many, many trip and fall claims made against businesses every day.