Eiffel Tower & wind gusts

dakota2112

Did anyone else notice the roof on top of the tower this year? Sorry if somone has already asked about it, or has it always been there? I could be blind.

Yeah! And did you notice there was an elevator and a steel floor there to! I thought it was made out of wood and you had to walk up stairs. :rolleyes:

Did anyone else notice the roof on top of the tower this year? Sorry if somone has already asked about it, or has it always been there? I could be blind.

Yeah! And did you notice there was an elevator and a steel floor there to! I thought it was made out of wood and you had to walk up stairs. :rolleyes:

Well I live right down the street from the park so the Eiffel Tower isn't one of those things i do everytime i go. Once you've gone up it one time you've done it a thousand. And I can honestly say that I don't think I had ever been to the bottom observation deck before. The only reason I will be going up this season is to check out the construction.

The bottom observation deck is at the fifty foot level, and has been closed for many, many years now....that's why I referred to the two levels at the top of the tower...I never miss the Eiffel Tower when I go to the park...it's a must. I see something different nearly every time I go up there....

The reason I sat down was because the wind was so strong to was basically knocking you down when you stood up. So I found it safer to sit. Plus I was against the center wall

out of the way. I wasn't the only one, half the people up there were sitting down that day.

Yes, there are two platforms at the top of the tower. The upper one stands 275 feet above the ground, while the lower one stands 265 feet above grade. Generally, the park will run the upper one. However, if rain is expected, they will usually use the lower level, so that there is a roof (the floor of the deck above) to protect guests from the rain.

a few years ago my wife and I decided to go to the top level. it was one of those hot afternoons where rain could come at any minute. As idiots we weren't thinking about that- so with no hesitation we proceeded to the top floor. Half way up, facing The Vortex end of the park I start to wonder if it would rain later in the day and clear some folks out.... We exited the elevator, rounded the corner and........... my first words, OMG get back on the elevator.... rain.... HARD rain was a'comin. We didn't get on that ride back down and ended up being one of the sad saps to leave because of the rain. We got soaked more than WWC and Congo Falls combined.

• 2 weeks later...
a few years ago my wife and I decided to go to the top level. it was one of those hot afternoons where rain could come at any minute. As idiots we weren't thinking about that- so with no hesitation we proceeded to the top floor. Half way up, facing The Vortex end of the park I start to wonder if it would rain later in the day and clear some folks out.... We exited the elevator, rounded the corner and........... my first words, OMG get back on the elevator.... rain.... HARD rain was a'comin. We didn't get on that ride back down and ended up being one of the sad saps to leave because of the rain. We got soaked more than WWC and Congo Falls combined.

And that my friends is why you take a extra change of cloths with you

Has anyone noticed that some of the sections of floor up on the tower are warpped. There was this one section right when you walk out of the elevator that I and some other people steped onto at the same time and it made a popping noise and bent down, then when we stepped off it warpped back up again.

If the park, the State of Ohio and the park's insurance company(ies) didn't all think the tower was safe to occupy, it wouldn't be open to the public. Period. Under owner after owner, inspector after inspector, and insurance company after insurance company, the tower continues to operate....

Guest TombraiderTy

I'm still waiting for the tower to replace the floor panels on the 265 platform with strong glass panels... kinda like the skywalk at the Grand Canyon. And how the park was interested in replacing one panel in 2000 for FearFest.