Something Else Old Becomes New Again: The Crypt, Robbie Knievel to Jump at Kings Island & More!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to the park yet but by the pictures... The Crypt is anything BUT original. The animations are from a company called "unit 70" and are not custom, simply stock animations that will be found is HUNDREDS of haunts across the US. I agree with the suggestion that someone needs to watch the movie, "The Cave", and try to double check the crypt. Hopefully, the ride will be midly enjoyable when I go. -Hauntguy

Yes, the theming is pretty stock. I could tell just from looking at them that they were probably bought from a haunted attraction company. The ride itself is great though. The program is much more intense and disorienting. All I think it needs is a little fixing up of the current line theming (maybe fix the jaw on The Bat, or record a better growl noise for it. Heck, I'll record a new one for them to use for free). Inside the ride area, just put like, a fake rock wall along the walls. Just so it doesn't look like a parking garage.

Actually, Leonard would do a great job at it! I know one of his "dungeon" themed house would fit in nicely! I'm talking of course about the walls and props... not the actual layout! I myself would bring in the team responsible for USS Nightmare and tell them to "have fun".... -Hauntguy

You mean you actually like to just sit there on the midway and watch fountains and people?

I meant that given the option of sitting through a show of cover-versions or just sitting by the fountain and relaxing I choose the fountain...plus the people walking by can be quite entertaining!

You mean you actually like to just sit there on the midway and watch fountains and people?

I meant that given the option of sitting through a show of cover-versions or just sitting by the fountain and relaxing I choose the fountain...plus the people walking by can be quite entertaining!

Yes it can.

And as that lends a lot to your enjoyment of the park, so too does the addition of the shows.

I often go to Ki to sit and relax in all areas of the park. I go maybe 3 times a week if not more sometimes and maybe only ride a few rides, There is more to KI than rides, its the atmosphere.

I agree.

I've been to the park quite a few times (and not just while working) that I've not ridden any rides at all.

Yeah, the one thing that obviously irks me about the new Crypt setting is the new props.

Those new demon bat props are pretty new, as in they must've just gotten them this season. I don't remember seeing any one of those monsters from last year's Haunt, and when working three different jobs at the park (Haunt monster, Park Services Associate, Post-Season Cleanup Crew), I've pretty much seen every prop they own/use.

Which then brings the question of where they actually spent their money on these scenic elements. Hence, Googling up Unit 70 Studios:

www.unit70.com

And then navigating to the products page where I can find these:

HellSpawn.jpg

(courtesy of Unit 70 Studios)

HellSpawn (<---can I even say that on here?) Sentries which cost around $1,900.....EACH.

Along with, of course, IT:

Desmondus2.jpg

(courtesy of Unit 70 Studios)

The Desmondus Rotundus which comes in at a hefty $3,500. Maybe costs a bit more to put some clothes on it. ;)

So that's $7,300 total just on three props, and maybe another 50 bucks more to put up camouflage netting to make it look scary.

Now, I know it already cost them an arm and a leg to repair the ride, remove a row from the vehicle and add a new program and everything, but this is the same company that can pull off stuff like THIS:

PA260349.jpg

DSC07858.jpg

ft200555.jpg

(images courtesy of Theme Park Adventure http://www.themeparkadventure.com)

...these are sets and props made completely in-house for an event that only lasts one-and-a-half months out of the year, yet they manage to create these gorgeous set pieces that sometimes rival the Disney and Universal parks. I say sometimes because their budget is nowhere NEAR that of what Imagineers have to work with.

So why is it that we can't do the same thing when nearly every single piece of scenery in the Crypt is made out of Styrofoam and the best we can come up with is tiny little cobwebs and camouflage netting?

But, yeah, like I said, I have yet to ride the new program, but I'll be up there this weekend to do so.

Three things:

a. Knott's Scary Farm directly contributes huge amounts of revenue, from which money can be spent to assure future revenue. At one time, it was thought Halloween Haunt would have a similar cost structure for the patrons.

b. Cedar Fair has a very substantial debt it is working on. The words "cheap and cheerful," uttered by a former PR person at what was then KI, come to mind.

c. It seems KI may have diverted most of its capital budget to something else in another year. Since money is in relatively short supply, would you have rathered they not allocate most to whatever 09 is, but instead use it on theming (and perhaps badly needed maintenance of the parking lot, walking surfaces in the park, infrastructure, etc.)?

Just like they said, KI spent 7,300 + on theming just for the line, then have you walk into an empty "garage"? It just doesn't make any sense. So, my point is that I beleive The Crypt is a work in progress, as far as the ride chamber is concerned anyways. Who knows what they've been doing to it since Sunday!? The inside of the ride chamber might be getting themed as we speak! Once the full season comes around, and KI is open full time, maybe the entire chamber will be themed! We'll just have to wait and see! I'm sure The Crypt will get better as far as reliability is concerned, I mean it's only been reopened for 2 days!

PS. I wouldn't mind if Halloween Haunt was an upcharge, if season pass holders got in for free ;)

One thing to keep in mind ...

The Crypt is a thrill ride, open for the whole season. It isn't a Haunt attraction. Because of that, I'm sure they opted to not go "over-the-top", and instead decided to keep it kind of tame. That said, yes...They could have done better with the queue/ride area theming, without making it 'too scary' for a year-round attraction. I am at least a bit more content with it, though, knowing they are turning the lights off in the ride area now. When I rode on Saturday, there were big, bright spotlights on in the queues, and all of the lights in the ride area were on. The lights upset me the most, so knowing that issue was taken care of makes me a bit happier about it all.

I don't think it really matters who they bought the props from considering it looks fine and the general public doesn't really care, personally I felt that the props in there looked better than any of the recycled crap you can find laying around during Halloween Haunt when the park looks like a theme park thrift store.

I haven't been to the park yet but by the pictures... The Crypt is anything BUT original. The animations are from a company called "unit 70" and are not custom, simply stock animations that will be found is HUNDREDS of haunts across the US. I agree with the suggestion that someone needs to watch the movie, "The Cave", and try to double check the crypt. Hopefully, the ride will be midly enjoyable when I go. -Hauntguy

Thank you! Hauntguy, I dont know you personally, but I do know you seem to know your stuff. Hardly original, indeed.

[...]when the park looks like a theme park thrift store.

Hehe, that made me giggle. :P It's sad that's the truth.

While riding TR:TR one time the 'show' cut off halfway, the work lights came on, and the vehicle switched to Free Swing right after doing the second flip.

So we ended up doing another flip-and-a-half 75 feet up in the air and the arms made a hideous creaking noise.

The same thing happened on Delirium, except we were 119 feet up in the air, the car stopped rotating, and the arm switched to Free Swing. It, too, made a hideous creaking noise.

What happens when this thing breaks down....does it come to a complete hault or does gravity bring it back down.

I'm no expert, but from my brief experience, a ride stop at certain points during the ride (this was with the previous program) would allow the gondola to swing free, until it would lose momentum, then the arms would bring it back to home position. An e-stop cuts all power to the ride, allowing everything to swing freely until it would lose momentum. And it's my understanding that anytime a ride or e-stop is pressed, the show cuts out.

the arms made a hideous creaking noise

I've heard those noises countless times. Nothing that would make me worried.

[...]when the park looks like a theme park thrift store.

Hehe, that made me giggle. :P It's sad that's the truth.

lol, well some things they were pretty creative with and it turned out well. Not to mention that the average guest isn'y going to look at it and not know it was recycled or that the police car in the work site is from the old Days of Thunder attraction, however a lot of that stuff really just started to look gross and worn out from the weather and rain. I did like how the entertainment department got creative with a lot of it though.

^ Yeah, but I think, again, the reason for the huge amount of recycling and that 'thrift store' look is because there's no real reason to go out and start dumping untold amounts of money to make the Haunt so extravagant when there's no real competition in terms of Halloween events.

Think about it; the USS Nightmare is the only 'professional' haunt in the Greater Cincinnati area that runs alongside FearFest/Haunt, along with home haunts and school fund raisers like St. Rita's Haunted House. But, really, who wants to travel all the way downtown at night to go on one measly attraction when you can go to Kings Island, an amusement park, and go through seven attractions, PLUS ride roller coasters?

Here's the way I see things-there's no real thought or planning involved when it comes to constructing a majority of the Haunt at KI. Aside from the Dead Awakening show that was well-put together and well-rehearsed and the addition of a new warehouse/haunted attraction location in Action Zone, it seems as if the rest is all thrown together hastily at the last minute. Sure, they may decide to redecorate a few of the mazes or add some new attractions to spice things up (cornSTALKERS and the worksite=two best ideas they've done yet), but others haven't been touched in years or they won't bother really trying to make an experience or setting scary (Cemetary=nice concept, horrible execution), lest they spend more money just getting one prop that has poor lighting/placement so that you can't see it that well or at all.

Which begs a question that has always puzzled me - why is it Cedar Fair's flagship park doesn't have a Halloween event close to the size or notoriety as the park on the West Coast? I thought Cedar Point was the end-all, be-all of amusement park fame and fortune, next to Disneyland and whatnot?

But.....I hate nagging about things that are beyond my control. I just wish they would stop and look at all the things they're doing wrong and fix what needs to be fixed instead of tossing it aside or, worse, repackage the same old setup and tease customers that it's a brand-new, completely different event and it's bigger, badder, and better...when it really isn't. <_<

PS: Michael Vick's doghouse and Death's office space with the list of celebrities he needs to kill are instant classics in my book.