flight of fear

kirocksnroll

sounds like it hurts.but once when was like 7(now im 19)i was riding Vortex i was very short so i wasnt tall enough. so my aunt had to sneak me on.i didnt want to ride it because my aunt told me that it hurts your head so i had to take some kind of medicine. so i 4 hats on ever since.(soon i was 10)I didnt do that no more.

I do not condone sneaking people on coasters due to the fact that the height restrictions are set for a reason and that is your safety. But yes FOF or as it was known then FOF:OL did have OTSR and yes they were very uncomfy or so people heard. The trains are sitting behind the Timberwolf theatre of you are ever on Drop Tower and catch a glimpse of them. When you pull back in the station or where you unload the paranormal guy still says now you what happens when your body is pushed to the Outer Limits.

From what I understand, the Original FOF had 4 trains. FOF could only operate three trains on its circuit. As a result of this, the fourth train was used for maintenance/service for the other trains. I believe that 3 of the original 4 trains were transitioned from OTSC to lap bars. Today, there are 2 trains that run on the circuit normally. The third train is used for service parts. If anyone has anything to correct, please feel free too.

Also, are their any obvios remains of Outet Limits during the ride

Actually, I believe that the third train for Flight of Fear is not used for "service/parts". Instead, I believe they use it to how they used to use the third train for Son of Beast, before they got the new trains for it. In other words, they will have two trains on the track. The third train goes through its off season tear down during the summer season, when the park mechanics have more time on their hands. That way, when the busy offseason rolls around, they only have to tear down on Flight of Fear train in the winter months, since they will have rebuilt one in the summer. So they essentially rotate a train out of service every year and rebuild it during the regular season.

From what I understand, the Original FOF had 4 trains. FOF could only operate three trains on its circuit. As a result of this, the fourth train was used for maintenance/service for the other trains. I believe that 3 of the original 4 trains were transitioned from OTSC to lap bars. Today, there are 2 trains that run on the circuit normally. The third train is used for service parts. If anyone has anything to correct, please feel free too.

Also, are their any obvios remains of Outet Limits during the ride

Yes, it was designed with a four train block system in mind. Originally it was found that this block system was completely inneficient and the ride opened with three train operation. The fourth train could be seen sitting behind the Timberwolf Amplitheatre adjacent to the main Steel Coaster Maintenance building which used to house the monorail cars. In 2001 I believe, Flight of Fear opened late as it received new three new trains that had the lap bars and seat belts as opposed to the OTSR's. CoastersRZ was correct when he said that they only run two at a time and swap one out every year while keeping one in storage to be maintained. I'm pretty sure that they were all new trains rather than just modifications to the restraints.

As everyone else mentioned, the old restraints were horrible. I recall working the unload side of Outer Limits many times and watching people get off the ride holding their heads. In the later years, some additional foam padding helped a little, but did not signficantly reduce the problem. I always joked that Paramount could have made a fortune selling aspirin at the end of the exit ramp :-)

I also remember my first ride on it with the new lap bars - I was riding with Jeff Siebert, before the ride opened to the public with the new restraints. This was also during the short period while the mid-course breaks were off, and before the LIMs had been re-adjusted to accomodate the new weight of the trains. What an amazing ride - the feeling of going through the corkscrew at the end with your arms uninhibited at breakneck speeds was incredible!

I also remember my first ride on it with the new lap bars - I was riding with Jeff Siebert, before the ride opened to the public with the new restraints. This was also during the short period while the mid-course breaks were off, and before the LIMs had been re-adjusted to accomodate the new weight of the trains. What an amazing ride - the feeling of going through the corkscrew at the end with your arms uninhibited at breakneck speeds was incredible!

That sounds amazing. I just feel like boo-ing when the train hits the MCBR. I mean it's kinda cool being at the top of the coaster and being able to look at everything but the experience of the rest of the ride suffers.

Anyhoo.... How'd you get that ride?

As everyone else mentioned, the old restraints were horrible. I recall working the unload side of Outer Limits many times and watching people get off the ride holding their heads. In the later years, some additional foam padding helped a little, but did not signficantly reduce the problem. I always joked that Paramount could have made a fortune selling aspirin at the end of the exit ramp :-) ...

Actually, at one time they did sell aspirin, Tylenol and Advil at a sundry type stand where the photo booth now is....and it did QUITE the business. It was all very tactfully done, but still a real giggle! I always showed it to out of town guests I took to the park.

There are no loops on Flight of Fear. There are cobra rolls, but no loops. Many of us have seen Flight of Fear inside, some of us many, many times. For your information, here is a picture of an identical installation (except for the rings around what would be the midcourse brake on Flight of Fear...which do not exist on FOF, but the brake does):

http://www.rcdb.com/ig544.htm?picture=5

Well, there is no vertical loop in Flight of Fear. There is a "cobra roll", a "half cobra roll" and a corkscrew on Flight of Fear for a total of four inversions.

Also, you are not supposed to carry on loose articles to any roller coaster as Kings Island. Doing so could be dangerous to yourself and to the other riders. Not to mention that the park could potentially eject you from the park for doing so, and technically, you are breaking Ohio law, as riders are expected to follow all posted and verbalized rules with regards to amusement park attractions. Failure to abide by the rules and ride in a safe manner is, as I said above, a violation of law, which you could be found guilty of a misdemeanor.