Old Cemetery

IheartKI

Does anyone ever wonder the story/history behind the old creepy cemetery in the North Parking lot? If anyone has any stories or info about it, I'd love to hear them! I've always thought it was the wierdest thing! Just this old cemetery out in the middle of the parking lot!?!?!?

• Like 1

The Kings Island Cemetery, also known as Dog Street Cemetery has been there for well over 100 years, to relocate the remains they must have the permission of the relatives to do so. Since its hard to do, and some of the stones are impossible to read, it stays.

In the Paramount days, they tried to have it relocated to no prevail. Its not hurting a thing by being there so why bother.

This cemetery is situated in Section 17, (Northwest corner) of Deerfield Township,

Warren County, Ohio. It was originally part of the John D. Hoff Farm (circa 1891), then the Dill

Farm, next the R. Eugene King Farm (1961), and now is part of the King's Island (Paramount)

Amusement Park. It lies just north of the North parking lot, east of the King's Island Drive.

The term Dog Street may have come from the colloquial name of the school district,

officially District #2 or Mound District. Another story relates that a 'dog leg' street led back to the

cemetery.

It has been largely untended full time since 1890.

The first reading was done by Mrs. R. Eugene King (date unknown) and showed 12

stones. The second reading was accomplished by Miss Edna Bowyer (1961) with 38 stones.

The third reading was done by Jay G. Lamb and David Kent (1967), with 51 stones recorded.

The fourth reading was done by Chester and Betty Dunn and Evelyn Preest (with some Hall-

Preest family data incorporated in the list) on May 31, 1983, showing 69 stones. I read the

cemetery November 01, 1999, and found 45 stones. Three of them were totally unreadable or

the lettering entirely gone.

Welcome to KICentral.com

• Like 2

Check out Paranormal Activity in the Coney Island forum.

I was wondering if there is any at Kings Island also.

I don't have the history of KI, but I know a few patrons and workers

have met thier untimely demise.

pilotank

That reminds me of a book that I read when I was a tween...I think it was a "Choose your own adventure" book about Kings Island! It was a little spooky :) I think it may have been centered around The Beast actually!

I'm not trying to be rude but if a family member would like to visit there family members grave would KI charge them for parking.

The relatives of the deceased have the right to visit the cemetery. I am quite certain the park would not charge them for parking, and that appropriate and dignified provisions would be made for that visitation.

One thing that happened in front of the cemetery was four Mason High School

kids were killed in a head on collision. I was a paramedic at that time and all

four were dead at the scene. A 16 YOA girl was sent to the store by her mother and was struck

by three of her classmates traveling at a high rate of speed. All four were in the same

grade and home room. That is the reason they put a guard rail around that bend

by the cinemas.

pilotank

• Like 1

It happened close to twenty years ago. It may be in the

Cininnati Enquirer Archives. I doubt that Deerfield Twp. F.D.

still has the medic run report. Doug Koch is a District

Chief with Mason now. I was on the run with him.

pilotank

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be rude but if a family member would like to visit there family members grave would KI charge them for parking.

:lol: That made me Giggle! HAHA I never even knew there was a cemetary located at Kings Island! But Really, I see no point in relocating it.

same here i had no clue lol

• 6 months later...
I know that R.L. Stine used to write those "Choose your own Adventure books." But to my knowledge, he never wrote any of those types of books about Kings Island or The Beast.

He did, however, write The Beast and its sequel The Beast 2 in the mid 90s.

I love R.L. .....but those are two of the worst books I've ever read.

It's also highly illegal. A cemetery is deserving of respect, and protected by law. Would you want people haunting your grave? I know I'm weird, but it really wouldn't bother me...but it would most people.

In Lexington, Kentucky, and in other places where public park space is scarce, people actually picnic in cemeteries!

I know that R.L. Stine used to write those "Choose your own Adventure books." But to my knowledge, he never wrote any of those types of books about Kings Island or The Beast.

He did, however, write The Beast and its sequel The Beast 2 in the mid 90s.

I love R.L. .....but those are two of the worst books I've ever read.

I didn't think it was that bad.

I think people should make tombstones out of something that won't wear away, or maybe have letters made of metal and lodged into the rock.

It's also highly illegal. A cemetery is deserving of respect, and protected by law. Would you want people haunting your grave? I know I'm weird, but it really wouldn't bother me...but it would most people.

In Lexington, Kentucky, and in other places where public park space is scarce, people actually picnic in cemeteries!

Picnicing at cemeteries is quite common in many areas of the country. Many families bring picnic lunches and many parks put benches where you can relax and take in the surroundings and reminisce.

• Like 1

I didn't actually mean in it, but what I posted did sound that way.

In many ways, the fewer people that realize there is an actual cemetery accessible by a theme park parking lot, the better off the park, the relatives and the community are. There is actually a similar cemetery adjacent to Kentucky Kingdom, as well.

are you actually able to go in the cemetery and walk around :huh: ? because i think it would be neat to get to walk around it one day after i leave the park.