Old Cemetery

IheartKI

It is almost certainly a family cemetery, and I doubt they would be interested in new burials, unless of course you were interested in funding the perpetual care, including maintenance and replacement of monuments, of what is already there. Heaven knows it needs it...I am not sure who cuts the grass now...it would not surprise me if it were Cedar Fair under the terms of the original deed when the park's predecessors acquired the surrounding property.

As you can tell from that link, the cemetery is no longer active, and has not been active for more than 100 years! It is not a simple process to un-inter a grave. Not to mention it would be difficult to locate the offspring and descendants of those buried in the cemetery. It is easy enough for KI/Cedar Fair to mow the grass in the cemetery than to try and do something with it. Besides, its not like KI is hard for space, especially when they can use the grass field to the south of the Deep South parking lot.

mom knows the story behind the cemetary or part of it and has info that is interesting...here it is

"KI use to be an old family farm. When it was sold to Coney Island back in the 1930?'s my understanding is that part of the aggrement was that the old cemetary would remain intact and that it would be taken care of. they can not use it in any part of the park and they have to keep it up. You are not allowed to visit it unless you are a family member and I am not even sure anyone is still alive out of the family."

so there is some info for the topic...stuff that i had no clue but for some reason I knew that she would know somehow...weird how she knows some of this stuff..she claims she knows this because of many reasons including she used to work there at KI many years ago before and during when paramount bought KI.

Coney, aka Taft Broadcasting did not purchase Coney Island until 1968. Until Taft Broadcasting bought Coney, there was no formal discussion of relocating to another property. Hence, they did not begin the purchase of land for Kings Island until the late 1960s, not the 1930s as you stated.

And yes, as you mentioned, the deed probably has some restrictions on future use of the land and continued upkeep of the property. Which is why Kings Island likely cares for and maintains the cemetery.

• Like 1

Coney, aka Taft Broadcasting did not purchase Coney Island until 1968. Until Taft Broadcasting bought Coney, there was no formal discussion of relocating to another property. Hence, they did not begin the purchase of land for Kings Island until the late 1960s, not the 1930s as you stated.

And yes, as you mentioned, the deed probably has some restrictions on future use of the land and continued upkeep of the property. Which is why Kings Island likely cares for and maintains the cemetery.

i questioned that also when she said that...but i thought that she could put down her ideas and told her dont worry that someone would also most likely have more info on it as well and will post it lol...and you did so thanks....i will let her know

It's also highly illegal. A cemetery is deserving of respect, and protected by law. Would you want people haunting your grave? I know I'm weird, but it really wouldn't bother me...but it would most people.

In Lexington, Kentucky, and in other places where public park space is scarce, people actually picnic in cemeteries!

Are you from Lexington?

• Like 1

Guest rcfreak339
In many ways, the fewer people that realize there is an actual cemetery accessible by a theme park parking lot, the better off the park, the relatives and the community are. There is actually a similar cemetery adjacent to Kentucky Kingdom, as well.

The many, many times I have been to Kentucky Kingdom Iv'e never noticed a Cemetery?

It's the same reason they have to keep the house up on the trail to Boomerang bay that you see behind the fort on the train. Small details to acquire such a great space. I'm sure they deal well with it :P

Eventually that house is going to fall down and then what? Out where my grandmother is there are plenty of abandoned cemeteries and with urban sprawl I always wonder what is going to happen to them. If no one is here to claim them or what not I can see a developer finding a way to get in there and have it "relocated".

Eventually that house is going to fall down and then what? Out where my grandmother is there are plenty of abandoned cemeteries and with urban sprawl I always wonder what is going to happen to them. If no one is here to claim them or what not I can see a developer finding a way to get in there and have it "relocated".

Each state has very specific laws as to how they handle such situations.

Rest assured that there is no developer would be able to develop the land a cometary is on unless those laws are followed.

• Like 1

And for the reason that WooferBearATL stated. Except for government projects with compelling public need, very seldom is a cemetery relocated. The measures necessary are both expensive and burdensome--from notifying next of kin and those who visit to the actual moves, which must be in accordance to the extent practicable with the wishes of the next of kin. The entire process is normally done under court supervision. And none of this takes into account the very poor public relations, ill will and worse that moving a cemetery often creates.

This is all reason that cemeteries have or soon will outlive their usefulness.

It's difficult to believe that we are taking up such a finite resource (such as land) and making it lay dormant with graves.

Certainly in the future such actions are going to be looked upon as a "quaint" thing that people did in the past.

The North cementery isn't the only one on K.I property.

There's the Indian Burial ground behind Boomerang Bay.

Uh, any actual proof of that? In the old 'ghost story' topic, folks kept claiming there were indian burial grounds all over the park, from Nick Universe to The Beast, to the Wiild Animal Habitat. I've never seen or heard of any official record or mention of one.

• Like 1

The North cementery isn't the only one on K.I property.

There's the Indian Burial ground behind Boomerang Bay.

Uh, any actual proof of that? In the old 'ghost story' topic, folks kept claiming there were indian burial grounds all over the park, from Nick Universe to The Beast, to the Wiild Animal Habitat. I've never seen or heard of any official record or mention of one.

It may be possible, there were several Indian Groups that lived in the area for over 15,000 years:

The most prominent from A.D. 1000 to 1650

The Fort Ancient culture thrived in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. Villages were made up of a number of circular or rectangular houses surrounding an open plaza. The Fort Ancient people continued to build small burial mounds, but gradually shifted to burials in a cemetery area with no mounds.

There is evidence that the Fort Ancient culture built Serpent Mound in Adams County, Ohio. They also may have built the "Alligator" Mound of Licking County, but that effigy is not likely a sculpture of an alligator. It is more likely an effigy of a panther, opossum, or a salamander.

There was the Adena, Hopewell and Late woodland Indians that occupied the Little Miami Valley, part of which now is Kings Island.

http://www.shakerwssg.org/fort_ancient_hop..._native_ame.htm

Never say never...

pilotank

• Like 1

But it also depends on when these "rules" about cemetaries started too. I know back up north in Mercer County there is a mini park built on a hill on top of an old cemetary. There is a fenced in area about maybe 10x10 that is cemented with a few really old tombstones and one more recent marble headstone in it. Now there's no reason to say that when the current cemeatary was built they didn't move the bodies, but considering they were burying people on top of people really kind of throws that out the window.

But it also depends on when these "rules" about cemetaries started too. I know back up north in Mercer County there is a mini park built on a hill on top of an old cemetary. There is a fenced in area about maybe 10x10 that is cemented with a few really old tombstones and one more recent marble headstone in it. Now there's no reason to say that when the current cemeatary was built they didn't move the bodies, but considering they were burying people on top of people really kind of throws that out the window.

Exactly. We all know Indian burial grounds tend to be ignored anyway.