A Rainy May 2nd at King Island

FOFirehawkFAN

So it was around 1:00 today and me and brother decided hey lets go to Kings Island for their first friday and first day to be open until 10PM. So we finally arrived at the park at around 4:30 and it was drizzling a little but knowing this would only make for shorter lines we waited it out. We first ran to The Crypt as it in inside however we were met with a closed garage door. We then decided to walk around the park and see if ANYTHING was open. Let the record state that the only rides operating at time of arrival were "Shake Rattle and Roll" , "Zephyer" and "FOF". At this point I decided to buy myself a new Cedar Fair Kings Island style hoodie for $45 to try and keep dry and warm. Then we decided to wait for FOF only to find out the wait was less than 10 minutes so we rode it 4 times the 4th time practicly a walk on. We then walked back over towords The Beast and noticed The Crypt had opened so we rode that 2 times. After getting off the 2nd time we noticed Vortex was running so we walk in that directon and found out BLSC was still closed, and head straight towords Vortex which we only rode once because at the top of the hill we noticed Firehawk was up and running again. When we got in line for Firehawk it was now 6:30 and the first thing we heard when we got in line was "Just to let you know that the park will be closing at 7:00pm tonight, yes thats in about 1/2 an hour". I as well as just about everyone else in the line was very upset. I made a point of coming today because I wanted to stay until 10!! However since there was nothing we could do about it we decided to make the most of our 1/2 hour and head over to Action Zone after Firehawk. We rode drop zone once and sat on Delerium for 3 cycles without getting off. At that point it was 7:06 and time to go home. So overall not a total loss but I am pretty upset that they closed the park early with very little warning.

There were quite a few people at guest relations when we left. The thing that sucks is I have a Platinum Pass so what are they gonna do for me give me a free twilight pass? Its like for being a more loyal guest and spending more money I get screwed, I love Cedar Fair.

With all due respect, on a night when there was, by your own admission, almost no one in the park, and with a bad weather forecast, you really can't expect the park to stay open. And what could they have done for you, since you have a Platinum Pass? Had you complained very nicely, you might possibly have gotten an exit pass or a certificate for a free overpriced Coke. You don't know if you don't ask.

Awww that stinks. They could have at least given you a heads up a long time before they decided to close at 7. I wonder why they did anyways. Weather?

thats the only thing that i could think of. thats what i said on another forum like this one just a few min ago. was that they might have looked at the radar and saw what either was or might be comming their way and decided to just go ahead and close the rest of the park down early. also possibly cause of what sounds like low attendance but since i didnt go, im not completely sure lol.

With all due respect, on a night when there was, by your own admission, almost no one in the park, and with a bad weather forecast, you really can't expect the park to stay open. And what could they have done for you, since you have a Platinum Pass? Had you complained very nicely, you might possibly have gotten an exit pass or a certificate for a free overpriced Coke. You don't know if you don't ask.

I have asked they never give out free food for inconvience of another kind. And yes when they print a time on the park map and have it out front it is not an "estimated time of closure" it should be the scheduled time, so yes I think its fair to expect they stay open. Two ride operators I spoke with who had both been there for 2 years said they have never seen the park close early before. So it's obviously not a regular occurance.

Again, with all due respect, Cedar Fair is a business...and a business deep in debt. EVERY seasonal park chain closes its parks when attendance is extremely low. Paramount Parks did it (including on opening day one year), Six Flags does it (and has at Great Adventure at least once so far this year), PARC does it, even Disney has been known to do it once or twice (though it is VERY rare there).

Again, with all due respect, Cedar Fair is a business...and a business deep in debt. EVERY seasonal park chain closes its parks when attendance is extremely low. Paramount Parks did it (including on opening day one year), Six Flags does it (and has at Great Adventure at least once so far this year), PARC does it, even Disney has been known to do it once or twice (though it is VERY rare there).

i remember hearing about disney doing that once i think...lol..i was shocked

Well if they were considering closing the park don't you think they owe the park patrons a little more notice than 1/2 an hour?

even though i do agree with interpreter, i also kinda agree with you..half an hour is not really that long of a notice for a theme park..usually they give u an hour at least notice..but who knows. it must have been more than just the weather or something then.

Yeah I mean trust me Im not a really big complainer and I agree with Cedar Fair a lot, I used to be a manager at Six Flags so I understand how it works, but yeah even if they had just stayed open until 7:30 I would have been a much happier person.

we got there between 5:30 and 6:00 and the security person at the metal detectors told us they were closing at 7:00. There was almost noone there so low attendance was obviously the main factor in the closing. They also apparently looked at the radar because when we left at 7 it was raining pretty hard. We got drenched on the way to the car.

Don't they have like a park wide PA system to make an announcement that the park will be closing so EVERYONE knows at one time rather than relying on people hearing it word of mouth from ride operators?

i know they used to in the park..but weather they still have it or it works who knows.

Don't they have like a park wide PA system to make an announcement that the park will be closing so EVERYONE knows at one time rather than relying on people hearing it word of mouth from ride operators?

They announced it over the parkwide PA system. You just weren't listening.

guess i just havent really listened closely then lol..well plus the reason why i havent heard them in years is cause i would only come once a year and that would be before they shows were open lol...my bad..oh well. but yea, ture..stupid for me thinking of how they played the music lol..good point

They announced it over the parkwide PA system. You just weren't listening.

When?

Yeah I also went today, but I had a really good time. The lines were awesome, and I love the rain anyways. But, we left at 6 but we didn't hear anything about the park closing early though, that really sucks. Our original plan was to stay to 10 but when the wind really started to pick up it was freezing cold! I got to ride The Beast front seat and The Vortex backseat, and then we rode FOF and some of the flats a few times. We spent quite a bit of our time in Nickelodeon Universe as well. But the Crypt was awesome!

I agree that the park probably should have stayed open until 7:30ish just to give people a little more advanced warning. However at 7:00 there really wasn't anyone left in the park so it didn't really matter.

I believe the last time that the park closed early was opening day 2005 when the park closed at 12:00pm. The weather that day was awful, windy, and constantly raining.

I also seem to recall another day in Pre-Season 2005 where the park never opened because the weather was so terrible. It was a Sunday in April/May.

i really think that they should have something on the back of the ticket that says something along the lines of Kings Island reserves the right to close early due to low attendance or weather phenomena beyond our control. I would be so ticked if they closed the park while there were no lines, thats exactly the days i choose to go. i never go on a weekend or a normal day, i choose the odd tuesday and thursday with a chance of rain.