CI Shooting Star

Given that the Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland was loosely modeled after The Shooting Star (as The Grizzly at Kings Dominion and Wild Beast at Wonderland were loosely modeled after the Coney Island Wildcat), I'd imagine that Taft HAD the blueprints to Shooting Star. Where they are now, I have no idea. What would be perhaps even more interesting is to know the current whereabouts and ownership of the blueprints for Rye Aeroplane, which, at one time, were in the possession of Paramount's Kings Island....

• Like 1

I hate to admit it, but I am an old timer by the age of most members here. I went to CI at least once a week for years..it's where I took all my first dates there and if they didn/t ride the Shooting Star or Wildcat, I took her home early. I lived in N Ky..I went to the liuttle town called Brent and rode the ferry over. I think but I am not sure but the Brent Ferry was a WWII troop carrier or PT boat. I THINK I heard that so don't quote me. The Shooting Star could hold it's own against most modern coasters except The Beast. The lift hill was 90-92 feet at the top made a left turn and followed the river till right about where Riverbend is now. The rest of the way back was mostly Bunny Hops back to the tunnel that led to the station. There was massive air time going from and coming to the station. I don't know the top speed but it felt then like it was greased lightning. I heard that when The Beast concept was being discussed, one idea was to recreate or build a bigger version of the Shooting Star. Maybe someone on the boards knows more about than I do. I am positive that when Taft bough Coney, the blues and specs for the Shooting Star were in a file drawer somewhere the Admin building near Lake Como or in another storage facility because of the risk of flood every winter. It should be rebuilt EXACTLY as it was. It was ahead of its time. :lol:

• Like 4

I agree completely. I think CoastersRZ would have more information on it.

Not only the Shooting Star would be nice, but let's bring back Coney like it use to be.

The Mall, put Dodgem's back in the Rides building with The Whip and Cuddle Up etc...

The problem is that I get the feeling that current owners and management

at Coney wants the rides to compliment Sunlite Pool, and not have an

"Amusement Park" per say probably due to the flooding issues and upfront costs.

I personally believe a viable Coney could come back and not take anything away from

Kings Island. Remember, Coney used to draw 2.75 million/ yr. The population within

the I-275 belt is close to two million. Three times the amount in the 60's.

My great grandparents, grandparents and parents all enjoyed Coney.

In fact, my mom & dads first date was Coney and Moonlite Gardens.

I went as a kid and was there during it's closure. Now my kids are enjoying Coney,

but to a lesser extent. It would be great to bring it back. It definitely was a one-of-a kind

exoerience. Nothing matches Coney Island today.

pilotank

A couple of points. First, Coney can never come back as it once was in the 60s. For starters, they have less land now then what they had back then, due to the creation of Riverbend. The Shooting Star (and the original mall) could not be reconstructed on their original sites due to Rivebend sitting on the eastern terminous of the former mall.

Secondly, the park is not going to renovate the former rides building next to the administration building which used to house the Dodgems, Cuddle Up and Whip. That building is now known as Moonlite Pavillion, and is now a home to company events, and catered outings, etc. On Saturdays, that building can be quite busy.

Furthermore, how can you say that the current owners (which by the way, the current owner is Mrs. Walker, the wife of the late Ronald Walker who died in 1997 and bought the park from Carl Lindner`s company) and management do not want the rides to stand on their own as an "amusement park"? Yes, they don`t have any signature rides or coasters, but they have a collection of unique flat rides that are no longer found in your big corporate theme/amusement parks. Not to mention that last year they brought in the Rock O Plane from Lesourdsville Lake, and this year they are bringing in THREE new attractions: the River Runner, Turtle Parade and the Eurobungy Dome. Yes, the rides do not usually attract people to Coney on their own. But between Sunlite Pool, and the rides, it provides families with enough to do for a full day in the sun.

I can guarantee you that families still have fun at Coney. After all, "Coney has it." How can you say that your kids are enjoying Coney "to a lesser extent?" Coney is a different place now then what it was when you were a kid. So making a comparison like that is comparing apples and oranges. The thing that makes Coney is its atmosphere. The park is smaller then what Kings Island is, and thus has a more intimate feel. Don`t get me wrong, Kings Island has all the big roller coasters and scream machines, but Coney can stand on its own.

• Like 2

I can guarantee you that families still have fun at Coney. After all, "Coney has it." How can you say that your kids are enjoying Coney "to a lesser extent?" Coney is a different place now then what it was when you were a kid. So making a comparison like that is comparing apples and oranges. The thing that makes Coney is its atmosphere. The park is smaller then what Kings Island is, and thus has a more intimate feel. Don`t get me wrong, Kings Island has all the big roller coasters and scream machines, but Coney can stand on its own.

I agree totally that Coney does stand on it's own, and it is a different feel. However many people get caught up in the nastalgia of the park.

My kids have fun, but it is apples and oranges. They can't compare the same experiences that the previous five generations of my family experienced.

Especially when they watch "Greeting from Coney Island" and now are at the age where they understand what Coney use to be.

pilotank

I still don`t get how you can say that your kids enjoy Coney less? Yes, the park is not what it was in the 1950s and 60s, when you were growing up. But whether it was a ride on Coney`s 16 seat Eli wheel back then, or a ride on Coney`s 12 seat Eli wheel now, I guarantee you that most kids would have the same amount of fun on both.

Yes, the park is a mere shadow of the park it was back then, when it was regarded as "America`s Finest Amusement Park." But that does not mean that people enjoy the park less now then when they visited it when they were young.

• Like 1

Yes, the Shooting Star had upstop wheels...the only US modern wooden coaster that didn't was Jack Rabbit at Clementon Park in New Jersey...and no, that didn't have anything to do with people falling out....

I'm not sure on how you would like to define modern, but the Jack Rabbit at Idora Park, which closed in 1984, I believe didn't have upstops.

http://www.idorapark.org/gallery/memorabil...abbit_car_1_002

http://www.idorapark.org/gallery/memorabil...abbit_car_1_001

As do I. My wife is from the Youngstown area, so Idora was her home park. Many of her first rides were there and sadly left to deteriorate and/or burn. Last year or the year before we were visiting my in-laws, and a local theater company was putting on a musical, I believe it was called "Idora Memories", that a local had written about the old park. If we had been there the right weekend we would have gone to see it. Hearing her tell of riding Jack Rabbit and Wildcat makes me wish that I could have ridden them too.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, technically it is two new rides and one new attraction. The Eurobungy Dome is a pay attraction and is not technically a ride. While not official, I`ve heard that the price will be $3 to experience that attraction, once it is ready to roll.

The new Turtle Parade debuted last Saturday. The River Runner was not yet ready for operation, but will hopefully be ready to roll for next weekend`s official start of the summer season.

Well, I hope to make a trip there this year. I've never been to Coney, and I'd love to experience something smaller than KI or CP (other than Camden Park). I think that is where they have found their niche. Considering where they are, they really could not compete with KI. So, why not go for the demographic that enjoys smaller parks and crowds?

• Like 1

Enough fun for one day? Nah. A few hours? Sure! I really don't have any reason to go to Coney when I have Kings Island an equal distance. Heck, even my own community pool I'd rather go to! It's already got the water, slides, diving boards, and friends. To me, CI is just a permanant carnival with a glorified 'water park'.

The only reason I'd go to CI is for the Ferris Wheel ;)

• Confused 1

I`m sorry that you feel Coney is just a "permanent carnival with a glorified water park". There are several rides at Coney that cannot be found at other nearby amusement parks (KI, Stricker`s Grove, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, and even Cedar Point).

How many parks have a Tempest ride? That thing can give some wicked crazy rides! Also, of the parks that I mentioned above, only Coney still has their bumper boats (after Holiday World removed theirs this year for their Carousel). Additionally, how many parks have a Super Slide left? Or how about a Trabant, or a Flying Bobs? And lets not forget the awesome Rock O Plane or Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel. Or the new for this year River Runner.

Yes, Coney does not have all the mega rides and coasters like Kings Island has. But Coney has charm and history to it. After all, Coney has been pleasing people now for more then 120 years! It has more of a family friendly atmosphere to it, due to the fact that it is a little more intimate and smaller then Kings Island.

If you haven`t visited Coney in a while you do not know what you are missing! I`m in my seventh year there as a ride operator, and have had a blast every year! I highly recommend that if you have the time to spend a couple hours or a day at Coney that you do visit. The price is not bad. All day rides wristband will set you back $10.95, or a pool and rides ticket will set you back only $19.95. And, for discounts on the admission price, visit this page on Coney`s site to save some money!

• Like 3

Well I've been to Coney Island (Post 1971 as i was born in 76) about 20 times and I've never been in the pool, I like swimming, but I've never been big on swimming at amusement parks, I just like rides more. I think it needs a nice wooden coaster, nothing elaborate, just a nice old fashioned coaster, it would do wanders for the experience, with that said I love the flat rides, I love old fashioned rides, something that Kings Island needs more of, I would love to see a whip at CI, isn't there one still sitting at Lesourdesville? It would be great to see that ride at Coney, I assume that Turtle Parade is Kid size, can adult's ride that one? probably not, I can't wait to ride River Runner.

Also Strickers Grove built the Teddy Bear from Coney Islands blueprints, so the Shooting Star one's probably still exist.

• Like 1

Well I've been to Coney Island (Post 1971 as i was born in 76) about 20 times and I've never been in the pool, I like swimming, but I've never been big on swimming at amusement parks, I just like rides more. I think it needs a nice wooden coaster, nothing elaborate, just a nice old fashioned coaster, it would do wanders for the experience, with that said I love the flat rides, I love old fashioned rides, something that Kings Island needs more of, I would love to see a whip at CI, isn't there one still sitting at Lesourdesville? It would be great to see that ride at Coney, I assume that Turtle Parade is Kid size, can adult's ride that one? probably not, I can't wait to ride River Runner.

Also Strickers Grove built the Teddy Bear from Coney Islands blueprints, so the Shooting Star one's probably still exist.

The Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland is modeled off of the Coney Island Shooting Star. I guess it would not be to hard to find the blue prints.

Also 4 Wild Cats were made off of the blue prints for the Taft Parks. Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, Wonderland Sydney and California's Great America.

And the one at California's Great America resembles the Coney Island Wildcat about as much as a McDonald's Hamburger resembles a Porterhouse steak. Less so, actually....

The Mighty Canadian Minebuster is LOOSELY based on the Shooting Star. Key word, loosely. It isn't even 1/3 the ride the Shooting Star was....

• 2 months later...
And the one at California's Great America resembles the Coney Island Wildcat about as much as a McDonald's Hamburger resembles a Porterhouse steak. Less so, actually....

The Mighty Canadian Minebuster is LOOSELY based on the Shooting Star. Key word, loosely. It isn't even 1/3 the ride the Shooting Star was....

Minebuster has been butchered soo much it isn't even funny. Originally it was just out in a field with no ride neighbours, but now it has waterslides & bridges going over it. Now it only has one large drop but it used to have two, I wonder which maroon at Paramount decided to do that -.- Now Minebuster is a pile of dung, but it used to be a wonderful experience.
  • Like 1

You mean they took out an entire drop?

And the ride is equivalent to a pile of dung?

I know that there are far worse coasters out there then the Mighty Canadian Minebuster, and I haven`t even been to Canada`s Wonderland!

And keep in mind that the Minebuster is actually a mirror image of the Shooting Star. The Shooting Star would turn to the left at the top of the lift, while the Minebuster turns to the right.

I so wish that I could have visited Coney in its final years and been able to ride the Shooting Star.

Minebuster is indeed a shell of it's former self. It's been reprofiled even within the past 10 years lessening the thrill of the camelbacks.

I don't recall the exact years I was there, but I was there around 1999 or so, and then again in 2001 or 2002. It had even been altered in those years. I couldn't believe how much the ride had been tamed.

• Like 1

How many parks have a Tempest ride? That thing can give some wicked crazy rides! Also, of the parks that I mentioned above, only Coney still has their bumper boats (after Holiday World removed theirs this year for their Carousel). Additionally, how many parks have a Super Slide left? Or how about a Trabant, or a Flying Bobs? And lets not forget the awesome Rock O Plane or Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel. Or the new for this year River Runner.

KI never should have removed Wheel of Fortune. That was one of my favorite rides. Nice to see CI has the Trabant.

• Like 1

...And keep in mind that the Minebuster is actually a mirror image of the Shooting Star. The Shooting Star would turn to the left at the top of the lift, while the Minebuster turns to the right.

I so wish that I could have visited Coney in its final years and been able to ride the Shooting Star.

First of all, I DID ride the Shooting Star, many times.

Second, I have ridden the Mighty Canadian Minebuster more than a few dozen times.

And I sure hope you perform ice tea removing services for computer monitors.

I darn near lost it when I read what you wrote about the MCM being a mirror image of the Shooting Star. Perhaps a funhouse mirror image, without the fun... As I have said before, the Mighty Canadian Minebuster, when built, was a VERY loose interpretation of the Shooting Star. Even when it was new, there was virtually nothing Herbert Schmeck-like about it. Well, it was wood, had trains and a station...but that's about all. Curtis Summers did not design like Schmeck. Unfortunately.

And that doesn't even take into account the many, many changes made to the Canadian coaster since.

• Like 1

You mean they took out an entire drop?

And the ride is equivalent to a pile of dung?

I know that there are far worse coasters out there then the Mighty Canadian Minebuster, and I haven`t even been to Canada`s Wonderland!

And keep in mind that the Minebuster is actually a mirror image of the Shooting Star. The Shooting Star would turn to the left at the top of the lift, while the Minebuster turns to the right.

Yes they took out and entire drop and yes it is an equivalent to a pile of dung, Its obvious that there are worse cosaters then Minebuster and it is faaaaaaar from being a mirror image of the Shooting Star.
  • Like 2

• 7 years later...