CI Shooting Star

Thanks for bringing this back, Terp.

It's interesting that the Mighty Canadian Minebuster was based on Shooting Star--I never knew that. It's also somewhat relieving (and disappointing) to know that it's not a particularly good version of itself these days. I was extremely underwhelmed by MCM this summer.

I'm curious to know what the original Shooting Star was like. I'll have to do some looking.

• Like 2

While Trabant was a fun ride to ride, there were several reasons that resulted in its removal.  The restraints were a pain to open/lock for one.  There was a good reason it was removed, but I won`t go into the details. 

The only bad thing about the ride that replaced it is that it only holds 12 people per cycle.  Trabant was almost double that.  Most days that is not a big deal at Coney, but on July 3rd or Fire Up the Night, that capacity is a killer.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

I think you will be waiting a while to see any RMC creations at Coney.  Heck, at this point, I would love for Coney to just install another new ride.  The last install happened in 2015!

I do not know if they still have the blue prints for the Shooting Star.  If they do, I haven`t seen them.

• Like 3

Hopefully we'll at least see a new ride at Coney next year since they removed Round Up. I'd personally prefer to see either another coaster or at least a replacement for Python, but I don't see that happening anytime soon considering the pool is the big attraction and Python is still quite popular.

• Sad 2

Hopefully we'll at least see a new ride at Coney next year since they removed Round Up. I'd personally prefer to see either another coaster or at least a replacement for Python, but I don't see that happening anytime soon considering the pool is the big attraction and Python is still quite popular.

This aged not very well very quickly. I’m sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2008 at 12:51 PM, CoastersRZ said:

A couple of points. First, Coney can never come back as it once was in the 60s. For starters, they have less land now then what they had back then, due to the creation of Riverbend. The Shooting Star (and the original mall) could not be reconstructed on their original sites due to Rivebend sitting on the eastern terminous of the former mall.

Secondly, the park is not going to renovate the former rides building next to the administration building which used to house the Dodgems, Cuddle Up and Whip. That building is now known as Moonlite Pavillion, and is now a home to company events, and catered outings, etc. On Saturdays, that building can be quite busy.

Furthermore, how can you say that the current owners (which by the way, the current owner is Mrs. Walker, the wife of the late Ronald Walker who died in 1997 and bought the park from Carl Lindner`s company) and management do not want the rides to stand on their own as an "amusement park"? Yes, they don`t have any signature rides or coasters, but they have a collection of unique flat rides that are no longer found in your big corporate theme/amusement parks. Not to mention that last year they brought in the Rock O Plane from Lesourdsville Lake, and this year they are bringing in THREE new attractions: the River Runner, Turtle Parade and the Eurobungy Dome. Yes, the rides do not usually attract people to Coney on their own. But between Sunlite Pool, and the rides, it provides families with enough to do for a full day in the sun.

I can guarantee you that families still have fun at Coney. After all, "Coney has it." How can you say that your kids are enjoying Coney "to a lesser extent?" Coney is a different place now then what it was when you were a kid. So making a comparison like that is comparing apples and oranges. The thing that makes Coney is its atmosphere. The park is smaller then what Kings Island is, and thus has a more intimate feel. Don`t get me wrong, Kings Island has all the big roller coasters and scream machines, but Coney can stand on its own.

Still standing? Psh......hot mess bud.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:06 PM, burlguy41005 said:

On a side note...I assumed Taft moved the old coaster sign to Kings Island...at least the shooting star. If you look at the pictures and remember the coney island mall at KI...it dead ended into the flat ride Haleys Comet....

Yes, the star was moved to KI for Halley's Comet.

Also, if you would like more info about the Shooting Star, I would suggest reaching out to Alfred Freeman on Facebook. He knows a lot about the coaster. He also worked on some including the Screechin' Eagle at Americana. 

IMG_2427.JPG

Edited by Oldschool75
Added more info
  • Like 2