Few Random questions about KI!

Steve

Hey! Just wondering on a couple things.

1. Will Cedar Fair lose the right to name all the nick universe stuff? I REALLY don't know how they will keep their kids area intact if they suddenly pull the names off ALL the rides.

2. Why on earth was Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal's slang name "flop"? I've been wondering for a while. And why was the decison reversed to remove it and not the smaller one?

3. Was Son of Beast changed at all this season? (Like new brakes added to slow it down, even subtly) I ask because I heard people complaining last season.

1. Will Cedar Fair lose the right to name all the nick universe stuff? I REALLY don't know how they will keep their kids area intact if they suddenly pull the names off ALL the rides.

Cedar Fair was able to acquire the rights to use the Nickelodeon franchise for four years after the purchase of Paramount Parks with an option to renew. We really don't have any details beyond that. However, I wouldn't be too shocked if they did renew the license.

2. Why on earth was Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal's slang name "flop"? I've been wondering for a while. And why was the decison reversed to remove it and not the smaller one?

"Removed" is a relative term. KCKC was removed because they installed Tomb Raider, however the other one became Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. It was closed for a long time for renovation, so it's almost like a newer ride in itself. You got me on the "flop" thing.

3. Was Son of Beast changed at all this season? (Like new brakes added to slow it down, even subtly) I ask because I heard people complaining last season.

I haven't ridden SOB yet this year, so maybe someone else can chime in. However, I do know that beyond the typical retracking there wasn't plans for any major renovations this year.

At one point SOB had a working brake heading into the rosebowl, however it was so loud (and still ineffective) that you could hear it from the station. It was only operational a few time in I think 2001, and was shut off, but still remains in its place.

Cedar Fair was able to acquire the rights to use the Nickelodeon franchise for four years after the purchase of Paramount Parks with an option to renew. We really don't have any details beyond that. However, I wouldn't be too shocked if they did renew the license. . . .

That's the FIRST place I have read that, and I really don't think that is accurate. An option to renew would imply that an agreed upon price was set in the original acquisition documents. It is my understanding from previous conference calls and publicly available documents that the parties may, or may not, agree to renew the license, at a price to be agreed upon, with neither party being compelled to renew. Put another way, at the end of those four years, the parties can agree to renew or either can decide to walk away. And the price must be decided and agreed upon by both parties. If Cedar Fair truly had an option to renew, as long as they paid the money, Viacom could not say no. That is not my understanding (and indeed there have been ongoing negotiations for some time.)

KCKC = Flop I always thought cause the ride never did get you very wet. I know when I rode it, I never got more then just a few drops of water on me. Now the Kings Mills Log Flume, (Wild Thornberry's) on the other hand always gets me drenched.

SOB jars you so violently it feels like your spine is going to come out your rear end..I won't ride it anymore. I am usually in so much pain afterwards that it ruins my whole day

have you not rode it since the accident? :unsure: it is alot smoother than it was.

See after riding the front car (which IS the best) on SOB in both trains, my friend and I thought the blue one was MUCH smoother than the red. The red seemed to jerk vertically more and have a jagged front wheel or something. Then again, maybe they reparied it :lol:

Flop... I guess that would make sense as flop usually means failure, and since log flumes (or hydroflumes) were meant to cool guests off on a hot summer day and KCKC did NOT do that thus gave it the nickname flop. lol

I just cannot see Cedar Fair being able to renovate those kiddie rides. SO many kids love the nick theming and I believe it would be REALLY hard for their little minds to accept new ride theming and names. (As opposed to adult ride name changes, which aren't so bad)

The only significant change the occurred to Son of Beast this year is the changed the location of the on ride photo. It is no longer located right at the bottom of the lift hill. They moved it to the area right before the second helix, right after where the old exit from the loop used to be. I rode the ride on opening day, and I personally don`t plan on riding it again anytime soon, but that is just my opinion.

Flight of Fear for me was jerkier than SOB. I rode it the one of the few times they were open in 2000 with the loop and it wasn't all that bad to me. Last summer without it, FOF was still jerkier for me.

Ride SOB in the front seat of the red train it is quite enjoyable.

Any seat of any train is enjoyable! Even with the old trains!

You're version of enjoyable must be different from mine ;)

I've only rode SOB in the front seat and twice in the middle...it's a very intense ride either way, but the middle of it was ridiculous...my back hurt so bad... i love riding it in the front though!

SOB was ABSURDLY rough when I rode on toward the middle-back. The blue train 1st seat is all I ever ride these days. We have conflicting views on both SOB and why KCKC was nicknamed "flop". Both make sense.

Does anyone know for sure?

I believe The Beast is not as rough as SOB due to lower speed. Also, I cope with the jerkieness by suspending myself in my seat and not leaning back/ect.

I am really curious about the nickname though lol.

Compared to SOB, The Beast is a leisurely ride through the woods........ But I love SOB!!!! Its much better than it used to be........My advice about SOB is dont hold on tight or staple yourself in......... Trust me, if you keep your hands up and truly experience the G-forces, it's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

ya, i'm sitting there in the ride and as the workers come by people are asking them if they can make it as tight as possible, i just shake my head, if only they knew....

That's why they hurt at the end!!! SOB, in its present state, is absolutely built for true coaster fans, in my humble opinion!!!!

Haven't gotten a chance to ride SOB yet this year, but as of last year during Halloween Haunt's Media NIght (my last visit of 2007) SOB was quite a fun ride. The back seat actually has airtime going down the fist drop, into the rose bowl, going down towards where the loop used to be, and coming out of the clover turn. However, the Rose Bowl on that ride is so, so bad. And the worst part about it, you go around twice.

I worked at KCKC from 96' - part of 98' season, we called it "flop" because of the downtime. At one point during one of my summers it would break down everyday around 4 - o'clock because the sun would F-up the photo eye sensors before the drop, thus causing downtime (at least thats what maintenance told us). A lot of good memories spent on that ride though.

ucattitude, thanks for the insight. I always love hearing stories from former employees. Was KCKC paired with any other ride crews? Is it true that when you guys used to rotate to different positions that someone would ride the boat up, get in the tower, then the person they replaced would ride it down?

ucattitude, thanks for the insight. I always love hearing stories from former employees. Was KCKC paired with any other ride crews? Is it true that when you guys used to rotate to different positions that someone would ride the boat up, get in the tower, then the person they replaced would ride it down?

We were not paired with any crew when I worked there. As for riding boats up and getting out and switching up in the tower (chute)...yes we did, and now that I look back at that I think wow we were dumb....lol. I have lots of stories about my years at KI, I worked at the park until the end of the 05' season (final year under Paramount ownership). I loved working at the park and miss it very much.

We were not paired with any crew when I worked there. As for riding boats up and getting out and switching up in the tower (chute)...yes we did, and now that I look back at that I think wow we were dumb....lol. I have lots of stories about my years at KI, I worked at the park until the end of the 05' season (final year under Paramount ownership). I loved working at the park and miss it very much.

Hmm wonder if I knew you? I worked at the park from July 1999, and the entire 2000 and 2001 seasons.