What was your first "big kid" ride you went on at KI?

Cortney

My best friend and I are planning out our trip to KI with my bro, niece and my bro's g/f and she brought up what was my first coaster I went on at Kings Island.

For me, literally it was Vortex, even though I have gone to KI all the time as a kid, I never would ride the rides. The same friend, my parents and I all went to the park and literally it was the first thing we went on. I thought that it seated 4 people across and I was like dad will you ride with us. I was scared to death! Only to find out it was 2 to a row and so my dad got out of line at the sign. My friend was going on and on about the ride and how she had been on it before and it was going to be awesome.

We got up to the station and we were next to go in the middle and then they asked for 2 people to come with them because there was an open row. UGH! We went from being in the middle to being in the dead front. I was scared out of my mind! We made it to the top of the hill and my friend goes "Cortney, I have never been on this before!" And down the hill we went both of us screaming our heads off!

I went from being fearful of roller coasters to loving them! :)

What was your first coaster at Kings Island outside of kiddy land? (kiddy land- mine was the Junior Beast)

Mine would be Bavarian Beetle, if that can be considered a big ride, otherwise it was The Racer, which was as big as it got back in the early 70s. I was scared to death when I first rode it because no one had explained air time to me and I thought I was going to fly out... But I got over that quickly.... I also remember scaring my Mother to death (she is terrified of heights) by running back and forth in the Sky Ride cars with my sister and making them rock a little bit......

I was doing Racer (first "big kid ride" for me) around age 7, then The Beast at age 9. (Adventure Express was new that year, which I did.) Vortex at 11, (also Top Gun/Flight Deck new year, did it too). King Cobra at 12. Of course, that year (1994) was my first Kings Island season pass, and not only were my fears conquered, I began developing an obsession for KI, parks, and coasters.

I ditto Jasper. I first got the guts in 93 to ride The Beastie, then stepped up to The Racer in 96. I technically rode the Keelboats in 92' for my first big ride, but didn't feel like a big kid because it wasn't a roller coaster!

Dang, The Beastie was such a freakin' big deal back then!!! I rode The Beast many years later, in 1998 lol!

I ditto Jasper. I first got the guts in 93 to ride The Beastie, then stepped up to The Racer in 96. I technically rode the Keelboats in 92' for my first big ride, but didn't feel like a big kid because it wasn't a roller coaster!

Dang, The Beastie was such a freakin' big deal back then!!! I rode The Beast many years later, in 1998 lol!

LOL yeah The Beastie scared the crap out of me when I was younger...my uncle always had to "kindly persuade" me to get on...:P.....i didn't start riding The Racer or The Beast until i was 13-14....now i'll ride just about anything...

My first was Adventure Express. I was too scared to go on anything else! That was a few years ago even though I am 21 now :lol: Last year, was my first time ever riding a roller coaster, I started off with Top.... FLight Deck, then The Vortex! I cant believe how much Ive missed out on from being too afraid to go on any of the rides I now love. Ive ridden everything in the park aside from Drop Tower.

I was 10 years old, and I rode The Vortex with my dad...it had to be with my dad because I thought my mom was strong enough or big enough to protect me :)

Now that I think about it, my parents just threw me on the most intimidating ride (at that time) for my first roller coaster ever! Kinda funny :) I guess they figured I'd either hate the ride, and never ride roller coasters again, or turn out like I am today, and absolutely LOVE them! Thanks mom and dad :)

My first big ride was The Racer. I have a very interesting story about this experience. I was at the park with my parents and we went to Viking Fury. On the ride with us were football players and cheerleaders from Ohio State on the opposite ends, screaming as each end went up in the air. I thought that this was so cool, so I joined in the fun as I was sitting in front of the football players. After the ride was over, the players asked my parents if they could take me to The Racer. My parents agreed and of course followed. So I got on the shoulders of a couple of the players and we proceeded to The Racer. When we got to the entrance where they measured me, and said that I was too short. Then the football players and cheerleaders started chanting "Let her ride, Let her ride". I don't think that the ride attendant wanted to deal with all of this, so he called another employee, and they remeasured me and I guess that I grew enough because they let me ride! May not have been the safest thing, but hey, it was the early 80's.

edit: fixed spelling errors

clb- my aunt talked the ride attendant at Carowinds to do the same thing with me when I was a quarter of inch under and gave him this sob story about how we have been doing this every year and he finally let me on! :)

clb- my aunt talked the ride attendant at Carowinds to do the same thing with me when I was a quarter of inch under and gave him this sob story about how we have been doing this every year and he finally let me on! :)

Yeah... I don't think that I was even a quarter of an inch short, because I went later in the summer and had no problems getting on. Too bad I couldn't get on The Beast earlier. I remember waiting in line with my parents and then I would have to go in the "cage" as I called it. I cried everytime that I couldn't ride.

Y'all going to get a kick out of this story. I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time and mu cousin was a year older than me. So it was late one night and he ask me if I wanted to have some fun! I said yes. So we all walked over to The Beast (I was big for my age) and I was tall enough to ride. SO my first big kid was The Beast at night in the front seat. Needless to say I know love roller coaster, but for a few weeks after that I was a little shaken up. What parent would let there child, be put through that, I know I wanted too, but I was 7 come on now. This was in the good old days when there no lights on the back breaks, or down throiugh the back end of the ride. SO ya it was I was scared. My darn cousin just laughed his head off the whole time and them after the ride stated to make fun of me for being a big chicken. He might have been two years older than me so he was like 9 or 10, and I was 7 or 8 and riding The Beast at night!!!!!!!!

Being of a certain age, I was already an adult in most peoples' eyes when Kings Island opened. Also, when I was a child, most rides did not have height limits as such, and I rode non-kiddie wood coasters at age 2...and one before I was even born! :)

The first time I ever went upside down on a coaster was on the Wabash Cannonball at Opryland....I didn't want to do it...my father basically MADE me, even though I was out of my teens by then! I didn't enjoy it, to put it mildly. (And, looking back, I remember HE didn't ride it! Smart man.)

I didn't really become a convert to inverting steel coasters until B and M arrived with Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Great America in 1992. I rode it opening day, and have loved inverting coasters ever since. I was stunned at its smoothness and yet strong laterals. I loved it then, and still do to this day.

My first "big kid" ride was The Beast. When i learned that i would be able to ride it i was so happy. (oh this is also how i learned that i was afraid of heights.) I was so ready to ride it. Then when i relized how high it was I started to cry and kick and scream my parents had to drag me onto the ride. When we got to the top i relized that i was going to be ok so i just went along with the ride. For that day on and untill now i maybe afraid of hieghts but i love roller coast and my fav is The Beast.

My first big kid ride was the Adventure Express. I remember the lift hill scaring the bejeesees out of me. This ride was a result of my sister, who influenced my mother to get onto the ride with me. On another trip, my sister who worked at the park in 1993, agreed to let me go with her for a day as long as I rode all of the coasters with her. I was skeptical, but in this order I rode The Racer ( Backwards ), The Vortex, and then The Beast. The Beast scared more than the bejeesees out of me, and I remember The Vortex taking my breath away, and The Racer was just as sweet as could be. Thanks to my sister, and this day at the park, I have to this day been a coaster junky. THANKS SIS!!!!

I don't remember much about my first trip to KI. I was around 6 or 7 and very tall for my age. I rode The Beast, Vortex, and Racer, but I have no idea which order I rode them in. I hated them all, but it was more of a love hate relationship. I'm glad I rode them though.

My first big ride was The Beast when I was 7 or 8. I remember I wanted to do it really badly because I was tired of having to wait for my dad and older sisters to ride. I was really scared the whole time, but I ended up loving it and I've had an obsession with coasters ever since. We rode a bunch of other stuff after The Beast, until my dad discovered that he'd lost the car keys somewhere throughout the day. Then it was a whole big deal. My first big flat ride... Was... Drop Tower, I think. We were at the park, and my sister was like... "I've rode everything here except for Drop Zone." And then she forced me to ride it. I was practically hyperventilating at the top of the tower. I ended up loving it though.

You guys that were tall enough at 7 to go the bigger rides are making me dread my niece going next month. My brother says she's going to be very close when we go. EEK!

Don't dread that!! Just look forward to one more person to ride with!!!

HAH! She may be tall enough, but if went by weight she never get on a ride out of kiddy land! But I told my brother already that he was going to have the honor to take her on the rides first....I'll go 2nd. ;)