Food Prices discussion

Steve

Hey guys! I heard from somebody that the food prices during their trip at whatever the new happy days diner is called was so pricy that they would only eat in the park again if they hit the lottery. Did food prices go up this year? Could some of you people who have been to the park in 08 tell us a little about your dining experiences?

Do you think that food/attendance revenues could be harmed due to food prices?

I really like what the park is doing this year entertainment, cleanliness and new uniforms but two areas I feel could be better is food prices and Gold Pass perks.

I am going to take a tape measure with on my next visit to take a picture with it next to the slices of pizza to show how small the slices are. I consider 2 slices to equal 1 slice sold elsewhere,

0_0_67c6bcd96afb00ad8bd6c2f7604056cd_1.j

In the picture above it tells what the combo comes with, which in this case crinkle-cut-fries, only.

Yeah, I was not thrilled with that. If only that price included a drink, I could start to forgive it. It was my own foolish fault though. For whatever reason, I didn't want to leave the park and give up my great parking spot. That's a mistake I'll only make once.

I mean... I'm with anyone who says that KI or any amusement park should lower their food prices, but if you look at other similar parks, Ki's pricing is simply in line with theirs. Buy food and a drink at a Reds game then we'll talk business.

Plus, whenever I eat and get a drink, it ends up being right around $15, which is roughly what I'd spend at a place like Applebee's with tip included. I can see where it really hits the pocketbook if you're purchasing for your family, but for an individual is not THAT bad...

Going off of what Ryan said, a burger at Outback costs around $7.99 for a No Rules (Anyway you like it) with a side, at least for my market OB. For an individual, this is pretty reasonable to me, however it would depend on the size of the burger itself. Not to mention, we're talking about a sit-down restaurant with service.

First, that $6.69 hot dog DOES include fries. Which a person in my office told me last week were COLD. Fine, that happens. But when she asked for replacements, she was told "they are all like that...you will have to wait til we make some more, and we have to run out first." Honest. She was going to complain to guest relations, but the line there was way too long. So, next time, she says she is saving up and going to Disney. Typical? Probably not. One person and her son? Yep. But crowds, or lack thereof, are made up of many, many individual decisions about how we will spend our leisure time and dollars...

Second, Cedar Fair's prices are comparable to Six Flags prices..but both are far more than Disney, Universal or even Busch. And the quality typically isn't anywhere near those venues. Mr. Kinzel can't have it both ways...he can't logically say that people will go to the regional seasonal park INSTEAD of Disney, then offer higher prices for lower quality food and expect people to grudgingly pay up and return again and again. The current food service is, in my opinion, along with other marketing tactics and decisions, sowing seeds in Momma's, Poppa's and other peeps' heads: "Honey, remember that wonderful meal at Fireaters at Disney's Animal Kingdom that cost us half this much? I TOLD you we should have gone to Disney! Remember Phantasmic? Compared to THIS show? Remember how happy the kids were with Mickey? Remember going to Downtown Disney and the showgir...er, the great food? Or remember that quiet, wonderful meal we had over in that big white building over in Tamap, and looking at the Clydesdales and their wonderful shows? And that fantastic food?"

Comparing a quiet, high quality meal at Outback to Kings Island is simply laughable. There are MANY reasons people leave the park to eat...including to get away from the din, noise, teens and kids. Adding high prices and low quality to it is not a recipe for long term success.

And if they are comparing Six Flags to Disney, the FIRST thing they get is charged FIFTEEN DOLLARS to park, (except at Kentucky Kingdom, where the Commonwealth of Kentucky owns the lot).

I say these high in-park prices AND the quality of what is delivered are sowing seeds. New attraction or not next year, some people won't be back. And that doesn't even include the church groups that were HIGHLY offended by the "no limits" "suggestive" Halloween Haunt last fall.

And that is what I can not understand at all.

I worked as a Supervisor at Kings Island. Granted, prices have increased everywhere since I was there but in no way has it been comparable. Top it off with the fact that almost everything we prepared was made in the park (rather than prepackaged) I can not fathom the justification in those prices.

Now to compare a SF or a CF park with Disney is unrealistic. No SF or CF park can compare with the volume that Disney does. But what they can compare with is a Universal Park or a Busch Park.

I'd like someone at SF or CF to explain how Busch/Universal parks can offer fresh, prepared in the park products for less than a SF or CF park.

Right on Interpreter and WooferBearATL – I have found Kings Island to be a lot higher in Food pricing compared to our visits to other parks. I visit other Disney forums (Tour Guide Mike & DIS) and every time someone complains about food prices forum members usually clue them in on prices at Cedar Fair or one of their parks food prices, in fact I linked one of those conversations last year http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1489276

I could give many examples but that would just be blabbing on the obvious. I really like what Cedar Fair is doing with Kings Island except for the food overpricing, I am not trying to negative about the park but in this area I must be honest with my thoughts or I lose credibility and I can’t squeeze a positive in the current price structuring.

Here is the food menu and pricing to Holiday World

http://www.holidayworld.com/food.html

If anyone would like likes to food pricing and pictures of the food from Disney follow links below.

Menu

http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

Pictures of the food

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1712222

When I was in food service at the park, the idea was to price food in relation to food that was available just outside of the park.

Often you would find items less than you could find outside the park and sometimes just slightly above.

The volume that one of the food stands can do in one day is often what a restaurant outside the park does in several days. The volume is there and that actually drives prices down.

The fresh prepared thing is something Interp has harped on many times. I know that it was Paramount that started using so much pre-prepared food and even went so far as removing Bakery. But ya know, CF does not have to continue the same mistakes. It's just mind boggling with some of the decisions.

Then again, it's still inconceivable to me that a theme/amusement park would put in a stand that would specifically be closed one of the busiest days of the week. That simply defies logic. It would be like putting in a Jewish Deli that were closed on Saturday.

This will probably be a make or break year for many parks in several chains. Only time will tell if they continue to proceed as they have.

...The volume that one of the food stands can do in one day is often what a restaurant outside the park does in several days. The volume is there and that actually drives prices down. ...

The volume WAS there...I think the food sales are down significantly in the park. You can see many, many, many guests eating in the parking lot. Far more than ever before. You can also watch the exodus from the park at meal times, both out the front gates and out the parking lot exits....Why stay for food that is both subpar and overpriced? Why, indeed?

...The volume that one of the food stands can do in one day is often what a restaurant outside the park does in several days. The volume is there and that actually drives prices down. ...

The volume WAS there...I think the food sales are down significantly in the park. You can see many, many, many guests eating in the parking lot. Far more than ever before. You can also watch the exodus from the park at meal times, both out the front gates and out the parking lot exits....Why stay for food that is both subpar and overpriced? Why, indeed?

See, and that is what we always tried to avoid happening.

The labor cost and food cost for even the smallest stands are incredibly low in comparison to a free standing operation outside the park.

There honestly is no justification for the prices that CF and SF charges for their products.

Well, there had been to date. People WERE paying it.

Times are different.

Gas prices are taking more and more out of wallets.

People are starting to cut back.

And Cedar Fair...raised food prices, but only a nickel or so. How do I know this? Mr. Kinzel said so. Even though my own eyes tell me different, I must be wrong. Because Mr. Kinzel said so.

He also said high gas prices will help, not hurt Cedar Fair.

He was wrong once. Is he wrong again?

Well, there had been to date. People WERE paying it.

Times are different.

Gas prices are taking more and more out of wallets.

People are starting to cut back.

And Cedar Fair...raised food prices, but only a nickel or so. How do I know this? Mr. Kinzel said so. Even though my own eyes tell me different, I must be wrong. Because Mr. Kinzel said so.

He also said high gas prices will help, not hurt Cedar Fair.

He was wrong once. Is he wrong again?

Mr. Kinzel also has spoken of price integrity, right before offering all kinds of discounts and offers last year.

Do we really think that anything he says is any more than spin?

while i think it is ridiculous either way, i wouldn't be so upset about it even if the quality was HALF as good as that at applebee's, o'charleys, etc....but a cold cheeseburger and cold, soggy fries for $9 is freakin' ridiculous...which is why i only buy a snack (elephant ear, pretzel, etc.) at the park and instead pack a lunch and eat in the parking lot....

• Like 1

Guest kwindshawne

I can vouch for the mass exodus out of the park at late afternoon, and an hour or so later, another rush back in. Just look at the parking lot after closing-giant landfill!!! I ate at juke box last year-terrible. and $7 for a beer is rediculous. Other venues have it cheaper.

High food prices and lackluster food quality seem to be one of the biggest complaints at Cedar Fair parks. A 'fish burger combo' costs $13.99 + tax at Canada's Wonderland. Absolutely ridiculous. Many people were leaving the park at lunch time to eat elsewhere. The Wendy's/Tim Horton's across the street was filled with people from the park.

There honestly is no justification for the prices that CF and SF charges for their products

I couldn't agree more. Especially since Disney, Universal and Busch can have higher quality food for lower prices.

Calling this price integrity is a straight out lie.

• Like 1

They do... they have the Gold Pass Meal Deals.

The meal deals kinda suck...I was thinking something along the lines like..you pay an extra amount for your season pass..and you swipe your card...and it gets you so many free meals per visit...so many drinks...etc. It seems by some of the comments that many on here have never been to Disney.

• Like 1

At KI, I think you get the best value at Outer Hanks. (Formerly Bubba Gumps.) Yesterday, I got the Montgomery Inn Ribs and Fries for a little over $10. A little pricey but they really piled on the fries. The food was hot and delicious. You can get the chicken fingers and fries for $7.99 and they give you plenty.

• Like 1

They do... they have the Gold Pass Meal Deals.

The meal deals kinda suck...I was thinking something along the lines like..you pay an extra amount for your season pass..and you swipe your card...and it gets you so many free meals per visit...so many drinks...etc. It seems by some of the comments that many on here have never been to Disney.

I must admit, I've never done the meal deal. I remember a survey that they did through the Paramount Panel asked if we'd be willing to pay more for a season pass if it included a meal per visit. Nothing ever came of it and I highly doubt that Cedar Fair would be interested in something like that.

I don't know if they still do this, but I know at Kentucky Kingdom you'd get a 10% discount on food with a SIX season pass. I always thought that would be a really good idea for Kings Island so people would be more enticed to both eat in the park and purchase a season pass.

Yeah. I agree. Even if the sale price was only at select venues every month, they would get a lot of pass holder A) spending more money in the park on food and beverages, and B) they would stay in the park longer and be more apt to play a game or buy merchandise.

The Gold Pass Meal Deals are not that appealing to people that are not visiting in groups of four, and added to the fact that the meal deals pretty much tell you what you are getting. A discount like 10% off the price, would allow the pass holders to choose the items they want to eat, instead of getting a large pizza, four salads and four soft drinks, etc.

We were at Kings Island the second weekend of operation with family memembers. We all have season passes and chose to get the meal deal as we thought that was the better deal. It filled us up for about an hour and a half and then our kids were complaining they were hungry. In the past we have always let our kids get an ice cream cone or a pretzel but since the prices have gone up we choose not to do that anymore. I would personally love if Kings Island offered a 10 percent discount on food and merchandise. If you think about it, its not that much of a discount and it would entiltle people to buy more in the parks instead of leaving to go elsewhere or packing a lunch to eat in the car. Also I think they should lower there drink prices. If a park like Holiday world can offer free drinks and a 10 percent discount and still make it, then why can't Cedar Fair chains do it? As paying guests that enjoy going to amusement places it would be a great benefit. I think more and more people would come and actually stay in the park if we had more reason to do so.