At least it's not $4 a gallon ... yet :)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aruba I saw on the national news was $12 a gallon thats not worth driving around there you could just ride a bike and speaking of bikes the sales are going through the roof. A lot of people should invest in one or a motorcycle haha :D

Two things that bother me-bad drivers, and hitting a deer. Liam Neeson hit one with his bike when I lived in NY, and broke his hip. He's lucky he didn't die. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense. I am still considering it.

I tell ya man. I love my bike and I drive it in ATL Traffic. The key is just watch out for the crazy drivers.

And, you can partly attribute high gas prices to world demand going up. I read somewhere that there are more Chinese people buying cars than ever. And I'm sure they are not the only country demanding more. More world demand = less to go around to us.

I just "acquired" our old family chevy blazer...it got semi ok mileage to begin with, but now with 240 000 miles on it (we drive em into the dirt) im lucky to get 12 miles...at the moment im jobless, but the search is on. I think im gonna have to get two jobs to pay for gas to get to the third... and the sad part is, we've brought this on ourselves, we've grown into such a self centered society that we can't live without our cars, and the gas people have figured this out, and have us at their "mercy" If we really started walking biking or "bussing" and stopped relying so heavily on the oil, the companies would have no choice.

Oh and those boycott day things, really don't work...they just jack the prices the day before

Im done,

for now...

Premium hit $4.15/gal down here in Southern O-Hi-uh.

Who uses premium gas and why?

I allways buy the "CHEAP" gas and have never had any issues with it, never needed any repairs caused by using it.

I have a friend that used to drive a gas truck for Shell/Texico and he told me that the only difference between the gas grades are the additives that are put in there. The basic gas is the exact same. He refuses to use anything but the cheapest gas and bugs the heck out of me because I kind of like the medium grade. It seems my car does not drive that well on the cheaper and I happen to like my car!

As for the gas prices - well maybe this is a stupid statement but I just wonder who is in the white house right now and hmmm I tend to think his little family owns a good amount of oil wells - with our being in Iraq and "guarding" some of those wells it just makes me wonder why the prices are going up.

I know the stuff with China and all but I am sorry I have to wonder about the greed in this country and the people that happen to own our oil companies. Seems they are making some large profits while our cost of living keeps increasing.

The trickle down effect is honestly hitting a great many parts of our life from groceries to even going out, where we choose to work now and go to school, and so on. Seems that every industry is going to be effected by this gas issue. Is the government going to wait until we can not even afford to eat or even head down to the local store to purchase it due to increasing gas prices before something is done?

My daughter got out her high school book a few days ago there is a section that stated the gas prices as just over $2.50 a gallon. She graduated in 2005. Imagine what it will cost next year???

I hear how if we do not like the people in governmetn then vote them out - but if you really look - what is the alternative?

Guest kwindshawne
Premium hit $4.15/gal down here in Southern O-Hi-uh.

Who uses premium gas and why?

I allways buy the "CHEAP" gas and have never had any issues with it, never needed any repairs caused by using it.

I have a friend that used to drive a gas truck for Shell/Texico and he told me that the only difference between the gas grades are the additives that are put in there. The basic gas is the exact same. He refuses to use anything but the cheapest gas and bugs the heck out of me because I kind of like the medium grade. It seems my car does not drive that well on the cheaper and I happen to like my car!

As for the gas prices - well maybe this is a stupid statement but I just wonder who is in the white house right now and hmmm I tend to think his little family owns a good amount of oil wells - with our being in Iraq and "guarding" some of those wells it just makes me wonder why the prices are going up.

I know the stuff with China and all but I am sorry I have to wonder about the greed in this country and the people that happen to own our oil companies. Seems they are making some large profits while our cost of living keeps increasing.

The trickle down effect is honestly hitting a great many parts of our life from groceries to even going out, where we choose to work now and go to school, and so on. Seems that every industry is going to be effected by this gas issue. Is the government going to wait until we can not even afford to eat or even head down to the local store to purchase it due to increasing gas prices before something is done?

My daughter got out her high school book a few days ago there is a section that stated the gas prices as just over $2.50 a gallon. She graduated in 2005. Imagine what it will cost next year???

I hear how if we do not like the people in governmetn then vote them out - but if you really look - what is the alternative?

Well said. Every 4 years its the same-they tell us what we want to hear, and then its business as usual. On another note, I dont look at my high school yearbook. I think the prices of the past would be too depressing.

There was this made for tv movie that was on about 2 years ago, and I wish I could remember the name of it. It was an eye-opener. In the movie, gas became $7 per gallon, and showed all the repercussions to the people and the economy and the fighting amongst the people at the gas stations. The scary thing is a lot of what happened in the movie is starting to come true now.

Found it....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461695/

Guest kwindshawne
If you take a look at this here chart...

Inflation_adjusted_gasoline_price.jpg

Sorry, I am not that smart, I dont understand what this means..explain it to me

Guest kwindshawne
Sorry, I am not that smart, I dont understand what this means..explain it to me

Pretty Squiggly Lines!

Awesome!!! Thats what I thought :P

The chart would try to tell you that in real money terms, gasoline was just then getting back to tying record highs in real money terms...but it was based on $3.22 a gallon for gas...gasoline is now at record highs, inflation adjusted or not....

As they say: Lies, darn Lies and Statistics.

That chart just shows the real reason for the gas prices being so high. The U.S. dollar is suffering hard, and we are loosing value to the Euro, and even the Yen. But then again we all know that the President whose family owns oil fields that produce industrial oils and NOT gas, tells OPEC what price to set oil at. The problem with the U.S. dollar is only going to get worse before it gets better, and neither a republican or democrat is going to be able to solve it. We must come together as Americans to solve the problem, make more things at home and stop giving financial aid to countries that can't and will not pay us back.

Guest kwindshawne
That chart just shows the real reason for the gas prices being so high. The U.S. dollar is suffering hard, and we are loosing value to the Euro, and even the Yen. But then again we all know that the President whose family owns oil fields that produce industrial oils and NOT gas, tells OPEC what price to set oil at. The problem with the U.S. dollar is only going to get worse before it gets better, and neither a republican or democrat is going to be able to solve it. We must come together as Americans to solve the problem, make more things at home and stop giving financial aid to countries that can't and will not pay us back.

I'm all for that, but how do you get the big boys to stop taking more than what they are entitled to? A wise indian spiritual advisor I knew once said-those that are wealthy have more than they need, and that fixes it so that someone else does without. He was right. This country has become divided-on one side is the "haves", the other side is "have nots." Middle class is a thing of the past.

Before this gets out of hand, just wanna remind everyone:

Due to the board's history of political turbulence, general political talk is NOT welcome on the boards unless it is unbiased and DIRECTLY related to the matter at hand (i.e. Local Senators meet at KI). Threads or posts that the staff deems to be at risk of causing disrespect or result of people feeling threatened will be removed by the staff. If an individual user is persistent, action will be taken against them by the staff.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4128

I'm all for that, but how do you get the big boys to stop taking more than what they are entitled to? A wise indian spiritual advisor I knew once said-those that are wealthy have more than they need, and that fixes it so that someone else does without. He was right. This country has become divided-on one side is the "haves", the other side is "have nots." Middle class is a thing of the past.

Ahhh, don't see that.

How do you think this is an accurate statement?

Ahhh, don't see that.

If you are not seeing this, then you are obviously blind. The middle class families have been disappearing for years...meaning they probably joined the have nots and not by choice.

Ahhh, don't see that.

If you are not seeing this, then you are obviously blind. The middle class families have been disappearing for years...meaning they probably joined the have nots and not by choice.

Actually don't see a lot of have nots any more.

I can speak on this topic as I grew up DIRT POOR.

I remember mom working two jobs just so that we could barely make it from week to week.

I remember not being able to have a window replaced in the garage door because it cost $20 and that we'd not be able come up with that kind of money.

A lot of people don't realize what poor really is in this day and age.

Now granted, both sets of my parents have more money now than I'd be able to spend. (Darn Them! <G>)

But ya just don't see a lot pure struggling like there was at one time.

My point by posting the first chart is that YES, we are a record price levels, but when compared to the real, inflation-adjusted prices, we're paying roughly 25-35% more for gas than we did on average.

For explanation of high prices after considering inflation and low demand of the U.S. dollar causing it to deflate in value, please see the first chart.

uxw_18-39-chart.gif

Ultimately, demand is going up, and domestic production and refinery in the United States has steadily declined during the last 20 years or so (about 5-10% since the mid to late 1980s). An inelastic commodity like gasoline means that a small increase in demand causes a huge increase in prices. The second graph would represent a commodity like ice cream.

Everyone got used to undervalued oil in the late 1980s and 1990s and society adapted to it. Now we're feeling the effects. It's true that the real cost of gas in Europe is still much higher than here in the States, but society over there has becomed accustomed to it and adjusted with good public transportation, short commutes to work, the grocery, etc.

Ahhh, don't see that.

I remember mom working two jobs just so that we could barely make it from week to week.

I remember not being able to have a window replaced in the garage door because it cost $20 and that we'd not be able come up with that kind of money.

Now granted, both sets of my parents have more money now than I'd be able to spend. (Darn Them! <G>)

Just because YOU don't see the struggling doesn't mean it's not going on. I see it all the time. It's far worse than it has ever been.

Guest kwindshawne

Ahhh, don't see that.

Just because YOU don't see the struggling doesn't mean it's not going on. I see it all the time. It's far worse than it has ever been.

Deleted-sorry.

I know this goes against the TOS, but, even Hillary has metioned how there are way too many families that are one pink slip or one medical problem from winding up poor. If the candidates are acknowledging this, surely it really is an issue.

^It is more like a vote to them than an issue, but as long as they have you thinking that way, they have accomplished their goal. (That goes for democrats and republicans alike).

fryler87 you explain yourself well and the graphs are a nice touch. The biggest thing we have to remember is that oil prices have followed the value of the dollar and not inflation. When the value of the dollar was high, then oil was low. Now that the dollar is low, they raise the cost of oil to compensate for the low value of the dollar. I am actually surprised we did not hit $5 a gallon yet. In other words: In comparison to inflation, we are not doing all that bad, just about 10% more than what was projected about 10 years ago for this time. In comparison to the value of the dollar, we are about 100% less than what was projected about 10 years ago for this time. The value of the dollar is what is hurting us, not inflation.