At least it's not $4 a gallon ... yet :)

Yes, with the weak US dollar, people from other countries are getting more bang for their buck (or Euro, or yen, or...) than in previous years, so Disney will may make up for lack of US tourists with foreign visitors.

We are still making our pilgrimage to WDW in September this year. Early this year we got a flier from WDW with 40% off resort rates during non-peak times. We took advantage of this, and at the beginning of March got non-stop round trip plane tickets from Cincy to Orlando for $280 total per person. I checked the same flights two days ago, and the price has jumped to $759.50 total per person. I'm glad we got them when we did, otherwise we would have had to pay $1678.50 total more for the 3 of us. But then again, this is the first time we've ever been able to fly without a lay-over. I normally would have chosen a flight with one, but the price for our non-stop was great!

I'm not looking forward to gassing the rental car to visit my wife's family on the gulf coast, and then across the state to more relatives on the Atlantic coast. Thankfully Florida is a narrow state! :)

The biggest pain in the pump for me will be our annual Nascar Weekend. I and 4 other guys rent an RV and go to Bristol every August. It's always been a lot to fill that up, but I think we can count on it being even more this time!

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, with the weak US dollar, people from other countries are getting more bang for their buck (or Euro, or yen, or...) than in previous years, so Disney will may make up for lack of US tourists with foreign visitors.

There is no doubt about that.

Eight years ago $1 Canadian = $1.59 American. Today both dollars are almost equal.

I also believe that the title needs to change for this topic. Gas hit $3.99 today in NW PA.

As of recently, the wife and I have been doing things a little different to save on gas.

Our local Giant Eagles are selling gift cards to a ton of places (TGI Fridays, Home Depot, Pets Mart etc.). Giant Eagle also has gas pumps, and depending on how much you purchase at their stores you get "Fuel Perks". So we just purchase gift cards and then get $.10 to $.20 off a gallon.

We have saved about $200 in gas so far this year.

Eight years ago $1 Canadian = $1.59 American. Today both dollars are almost equal.

I also believe that the title needs to change for this topic. Gas hit $3.99 today in NW PA.

Actually you've got that backwards...eight years ago $1US=approximately $1.59 Canadian. By the way, the Canadians are very touchy about the "American" terminology. They are Americans, too...being inhabitants of North America. US citizens are not the only Americans...

Actually you've got that backwards...eight years ago $1US=approximately $1.59 Canadian. By the way, the Canadians are very touchy about the "American" terminology. They are Americans, too...being inhabitants of North America. US citizens are not the only Americans...

First time I went to Canada's Wonderland was on a supervisors trip.

Well, we road in one of this 15 people vans.

At the boarder, we were asked by the boarder guards to declare our citizenship.

One of the supervisors said that they were "American."

The boarder guard became very irritated and lectured them about their arrogance and that they were American as much as anyone in the van.

LOL, lesson learned. And that was long before 9/11.

Ohio Amusement Park Eyes Gas Prices, Offers Special Deals:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-...0,5246571.story

(But why, oh why, Mr. Kinzel are such special deals necessary when your theory is that high gas prices help Cedar Fair (and Mr. Shapiro thinks the same thing at Six Flags) by keeping people close to home? Aren't you just sacrificing pricing integrity for no reason? Or do early trends already show you your theories are incorrect? Just askin...by your actions we shall know your answers...or already do. Compare

...Or, as Richard Kinzel, CEO of Cedar Fair, told the Associated Press recently, the industry "has always been recession resistant. That's what ... usually has happened in the past. ... Gas prices will keep families closer to home."...
:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...50429/1052/LIFE )

And then, suddenly and miraculously, the Dorney people make nearly identical comments. What a coincidence:

http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/pa/ind....xml&coll=2

This is a two page article. Note that Mr. Kinzel still thinks people have to eat in the parks (apparently he is unaware of the concept of coolers--a concept many would not feel it necessary to embrace were it not for the incredibly high food pricing in the parks..)

First time I went to Canada's Wonderland was on a supervisors trip.

Well, we road in one of this 15 people vans.

At the boarder, we were asked by the boarder guards to declare our citizenship.

One of the supervisors said that they were "American."

The boarder guard became very irritated and lectured them about their arrogance and that they were American as much as anyone in the van.

LOL, lesson learned. And that was long before 9/11.

I guess I can see their point. Except for the fact that we are the United States of America. It's not like they are called the Canadian Colonies of America, so why would anyone automatically think to call Canadians American? Sure, they wanted to be called American before 9/11, but I would bet that now they would rather be called Canadian than American.

Interpreter, it seems Mr. Kinzel is straddling the fence so when this season ends, he can say that he was right whichever proves to be correct.

I guess I can see their point. Except for the fact that we are the United States of America. It's not like they are called the Canadian Colonies of America, so why would anyone automatically think to call Canadians American? Sure, they wanted to be called American before 9/11, but I would bet that now they would rather be called Canadian than American.

Interpreter, it seems Mr. Kinzel is straddling the fence so when this season ends, he can say that he was right whichever proves to be correct.

I actually have a few buddies that are Canadian and a few buddies that hold US and Canadian Citizenship.

They identify as Canadian's just as we identify as US Citizens, but they also call themselves Americans.

That is interesting, Woofer. I don't know any Canadians and I had no idea that they liked to be called Americans as well.

One of my best buddies dated a guy that lived in BC but worked most of the time in ATL. I have a good friend from Chatanooga that married a guy that is from Toronto. They live there now. I know a few folk that emigrated to Canada a few years ago. Soooooo, I get to here quite a bit about the Canadian point of view.

It has passed $4/gallon here and it will soon hit $5 because our elected leaders do nothing while the oil companies continue to ravish the American people. Not only are these prices criminal and hurting consumers; but it is worsening the overall economic landscape. I'm surprised that the airline, automobile, and other lobbyists aren't in Washington demanding relief.

If you think politics is all that is causing current gasoline prices, your world view is far too simplistic. The falling dollar, worldwide increased demand--particularly from China and India, risks due to things such as terrorism...all figure into current pricing. It's not as simple as just politics...which is beyond the scope of allowed conversation on these here boards as per the terms of service, anywho....Also, know that lobbyists for all special interests ARE demanding relief, as always...

It has passed $4/gallon here and it will soon hit $5 because our elected leaders do nothing while the oil companies continue to ravish the American people. Not only are these prices criminal and hurting consumers; but it is worsening the overall economic landscape. I'm surprised that the airline, automobile, and other lobbyists aren't in Washington demanding relief.

Chef, if you're going to comment on a topic please read the entire topic before posting. Also, keep the sites Terms of Service in mind, politics are not allowed unless directly related to KI.

Chef, if you're going to comment on a topic please read the entire topic before posting. Also, keep the sites Terms of Service in mind, politics are not allowed unless directly related to KI.

Now you know that Chef never reads through a topic before posting!

He's never going to even see the post that ya just made!

I filled up today for $3.77 a gallon at UDF. I have no clue why they were selling it that cheep, (It's really sad that $3.77 a gallon gasoline could be considered "cheap") but luckily for me I was basically the last person to fill up before their tanks ran dry.

There are plenty of places in the world with oil that arent be drilled. Lets start building some drills and hopefully get OPEC worried. Gasoline will just keep rising if we aren't willing to do something about it. Right now it cost me $80 to fill my car up. At $5.00 it would cost $100. That is just nutz.