At least it's not $4 a gallon ... yet :)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time we fell below $1? in the 1960s?

Nope, it's been less than a dollar a lot more recently than that...as little as a decade ago...in the Sixties, the normal price was in the low thirties (cents...).

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-18474027.html

....After gas prices came down during the first Reagan-Bush term, Americans spent most of the 1980s with gas under a dollar a gallon, and then most of the '90s with gasoline hovering around $1.00 to $1.25. Now it is almost $3.00 a gallon anywhere you go, and this is only January, the "low season" for gas prices....

http://citizine.org/politics/0802_highgasprices.htm

Posted only for price info, not any political viewpoint...

There was a short time a few years ago that gas was 99 cents in a suburb of dayton-but I don't remember what year it was-it has been since 2001.

Spring of '98 as a fresh, pimpled-face (not really!) 16 year-old new driver (really!), I paid the lowest I ever paid....$0.69 per gallon for regular at the Shell on E. Washington St. and 465 in Indy! (this gas station doesn't exist anymore).

I later heard from someone during this time Russia was liquidating their crude supplies, and I still have this receipt today, although a few years ago I filed it away with some of my other current credit card receipts (I never throw mine away!!) back when I never dreamed of gas going to even $2 a gallon!! I need to dig through the Banker Boxes and find it!!

It remains to be seen. There are certainly those who do...there are even those who want to tax gasoline highly right now to encourage conservation...but this is not a place for politics, it is a place to detail, describe and predict the impacts on places of amusement, including Kings Island....if Mr. Kinzel claimed, as he did, that high gas prices would encourage local park visits (and he seems to be right), do low gas prices then discourage them???

I would think low gas prices by themselves would discourage spending more time than usual at your local amusement park, but you factor in the other economic conditions and I think that will push people to stay at their local amusement park. Possibly with the low gas prices they may be able to spend more nickles once inside the park.

• 2 weeks later...

^^This is going back to high school days prices now for me!!

Tiggy, who upon returning from a (driving) vacation during the summer in 1999 as a sophomore was surprised when his older (driving) friend gasped at seeing gas prices above $1.30 for the first time ever!! (that he noticed, and he'd been driving for 2 years already!)

Where Will Oil Go from Here? Goldman Says $45, Iran Says $100:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/110604-whe...5-iran-says-100

I've actually been very proud of everyone around the world in implementing such a sharp downturn in oil demand. Who would have actually thought it possible?

And though we know that Iran is a crazy country, I think that the Opec ministry will absolutely lose their shirts if they raise the price to $100 per barrel.

I had thought that people would all of a sudden start driving again when the prices fell below $1.50. At least in Atlanta (a city that will drive to go across the street) many of folk are still car pooling and riding Marta.