Should the Clown Band Come Back to Kings Island for Good?

BoddaH1994

Since a lot of people are excited about the return of the Clown Band as a one time thing at the Knievel jump, I was wondering if you felt as though the Clown Band should return to being a permanent fixture at Kings Island. Feel free to comment and add suggestions for other roaming entertainment.

OK, I'll ask, I am old enough to have been around when the Clown Band was going (I think), but never saw it or ever heard about it until this press release.

So (drumroll please!) is there a link or a page or something that talks about the clown band and what it was?

Thanks!

The Clown Band (known as the Kings of Komedy Kings Island Clown Band), was a group of musicians (maybe six to ten members). These musicians were dressed up as clowns and paraded around playing music and acting crazy. They would run up and down International Street and run in circles. The energy that the band provided was wonderful. And the fact that it provided live entertainment right on the midways was something that has been long gone from KI.

I for one, would be happy to see the Clown Band make a return as a permanent fixture in the peak summer season. Will it happen? Who knows, but one can hope can`t they?

YES!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!

Sorry, I got a little over-excited there. I always loved the clown band. Especially when I was working at Bakery, and they would play in front of the bandstand. I loved listening to them every day, and I can still hear them playing "25 Or 6 To 4". At the time, I had just started playing tuba the summer before, after having switched from clarinet for marching band. Our band director's ideal marching band was Ohio State, which is all brass, so the more woodwinds he could get to switch the better.

Anyway, I wanted to eventually audition for the Clown Band but never got the chance before they were disbanded (pun fully intended). :) I miss the atmosphere performers that you used to be able to find throughout the park: the Dixieland Band, the various singing groups. I can't wait to see the return of the airshow on the 24th too (can we officially declare May 24th as "Nostalgia Day" at Kings Island, what with the Clown Band, Air Show and HB characters?). I had just read an article last week on another website about all the atmosphere performers at Epcot, and I thought at the time about all the groups that were at KI long ago.

Oh well, only 4 more weeks until I get to play my tuba again at Alumni Weekend in Oxford.

Yes – The clown band was so energetic that they made the smiles on guest’s faces even bigger. As they ran in circles banging on the drum and did there bites it you had to watch, seeing them again will be like reliving a fond memory.

Guest TombraiderTy

I wouldn't just love the Clown Band, I'd like the overall return of general park atmosphere. Like mimes and magicians... anyone remember that magic stand off of International Street a few years ago? Bit off topic...

But a thousand yes's. The Clown Band would be great to return to Kings Island.

I was a member of the clown band from 1985-87 and also played in Dixieland bands some years later. The Kings Island Clown Band started with the opening of the park, I believe 1972. Most of the members were students at Xavier University and that continued to be the case for many years, although there were many exceptions.

Each year the band had to audition to get their job back, so they rehearsed incessantly during Christmas break for the January auditions. The band developed many traditions over the years, such as the RRWC party (Rolling Rock-White Castle) and the Cheese Coney Festival. Daily events were documented on colorful calendars, which survive to this day, as does the clown band family tree.

The band had 12 members when I was in, 3 trumpets, 4 saxes, 2 trombones, 1 tuba, snare drum and bass drum. It was the best job any college age kid could have. The band did 5 performances on regular days, 2 or 3 of them were "walks" where we'd roam through the park and play tunes to entertain the guests. The others were "shows" which were right in front of the tower. On weekends, we'd sometimes have as many as 9 performances with the extras being in the picnic grove. It wasn't unusual to lose 3 or 4 pounds in the course of a single day.

The band was well known for its antics throughout the park. We'd snake through the park, circle attractive females and play "The Stripper", visit other breakrooms and play for show performers, and play for little kids (who then screamed in horror). Our tuba player liked to block the "Wo" of the women's restroom with his tuba bell. He's now doing commercials in NYC.

The shows at the tower were high energy routines, usually including a brief skit and the ever popular "girl song" in which a reluctant female was pulled from the audience for some dancing and comedy.

There have been various other groups like the KI band at other parks. I'm not sure anyone knows who was the first in existence.

That's a short history of the group. I'm sure I forgot a lot, but it would be neat to see it revived.

I think it would be great to have it return. I was really young when I saw it and though it was great. It would be great to be walk around and see a moving show around the park. You just dont hear of this kind of attraction at amusement parks that often anymore. They should diffidently bring it back.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day, I was one of the last supervisors in charge of the Clown Band. Wonderful memories, both in the park and out at parties, are due to this entertaining group! If current employees do not have the chance to experience a Cheese Coney Fest...you are truly missing out!

Hope they come back!!!!

Love, a former CCQ ;)

i for one would LOVE to see them make a return. i remember only one time seeing them perform and I have always wanted to join them ever since (even though i was only like 4 at the time lol) but yes, ever since i started band, i have always wondered where those goofy ppl went. i remember one time i ran in circles with them. it was fun, if they bring them back, i would love to audition for thm and see if i could get a job that way, im in college to become a band director so why not lol. i think it would be awesome...so for me, YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!! A MILLION TIMES!!! BRING BACK THE BAND!

I was a member of the clown band from 1985-87 and also played in Dixieland bands some years later. The Kings Island Clown Band started with the opening of the park, I believe 1972. Most of the members were students at Xavier University and that continued to be the case for many years, although there were many exceptions.

Each year the band had to audition to get their job back, so they rehearsed incessantly during Christmas break for the January auditions. The band developed many traditions over the years, such as the RRWC party (Rolling Rock-White Castle) and the Cheese Coney Festival. Daily events were documented on colorful calendars, which survive to this day, as does the clown band family tree.

The band had 12 members when I was in, 3 trumpets, 4 saxes, 2 trombones, 1 tuba, snare drum and bass drum. It was the best job any college age kid could have. The band did 5 performances on regular days, 2 or 3 of them were "walks" where we'd roam through the park and play tunes to entertain the guests. The others were "shows" which were right in front of the tower. On weekends, we'd sometimes have as many as 9 performances with the extras being in the picnic grove. It wasn't unusual to lose 3 or 4 pounds in the course of a single day.

The band was well known for its antics throughout the park. We'd snake through the park, circle attractive females and play "The Stripper", visit other breakrooms and play for show performers, and play for little kids (who then screamed in horror). Our tuba player liked to block the "Wo" of the women's restroom with his tuba bell. He's now doing commercials in NYC.

The shows at the tower were high energy routines, usually including a brief skit and the ever popular "girl song" in which a reluctant female was pulled from the audience for some dancing and comedy.

There have been various other groups like the KI band at other parks. I'm not sure anyone knows who was the first in existence.

That's a short history of the group. I'm sure I forgot a lot, but it would be neat to see it revived.