CP's Wildcat Crashes?

It's still a rumor

http://www.pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/22897.aspx?page=4

MIA-Mike said:

I was walking by it when it crashed.. I did not see it 'til it happend though. Everyone watching it and in line said a train came back down the hill and hit another train.

I do know that some of the injuries were pretty bad. One kid was taken away on a stretcher with a neck brace on.

MIA-Mike said:

I was walking by the WildCat when this happened. It was definitely NOT a bump. It was loud and caught my attention easily. One kids face was all bloody and then he was carried off on a stretcher about 10-15 minutes after the crash. There were a couple other kids crying and calling their parents on cell phones. One other kid was holding his arm.

The Cedar Point officials would not let anybody too close and they were really firm with us about that because we were talking about it. I would guess only about 100-250 people even knew what had happened.

It was really upsetting to see kids so young hurt on a ride.

I guess it could have happened not really a crash more of a big bump at a high speed. I have not seen anything else about on other sides.

Top Gun crashed and no one really know about it. Lucky no one was on Top Gun at the time.

How did the anti-roll back device fail?

According to some really good sources, it is possible that the cars were not installed correctly after the winter break thus making the anti-rollbacks useless.

What really good sources are those? Not doubting you, just curious.

^ I really don't like to bring up other sites too much. It gives some people a big head.

From RideMan (aka Dave Altoff Jr.)

What I do know about Wildcat is that last Saturday it threw its lift chain at least four times over the course of the day.

This Sunday, I was in the park and the ride was not operating. I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice that four cars were missing; I was busy noticing that the chain was properly looped around the upper sprocket in the way that it wasn't most of the day last Saturday.

i don't know what happened, but I would not be surprised if the incidents are related. A friend speculated that perhaps the chain failures were related to parts improperly installed on the cars during winter maintenance, which would explain the cars being removed for the moment to fix the problem.

Apart from the observations (mostly related to what it was doing last Saturday) this is all speculation.

Sad but true, with americans being so lazy (typically) something was probably just ignored and resulted in this failure. Luckily it's a smaller ride and doesn't have the potential energy to injure people even more.

To add to others comments, it is also true that the last sentence is patently and totally untrue. The ride has more than enough potential energy to kill its riders, which fortunately did not happen here.

I hope it is not removed, and i hope it is open on Coaster Mania, i havent got Wild Cat coaster credit yet...

The Magnum crash last year was worse than this and it reopend within a week or so I believe.

I am sure WildCat will re-open soon.

Magnum was not even down for a full 24 hours. It crashed on Saturday, they removed the two crippled trains and began one train operation on Sunday. Of course Magnum is one of the star attractions, as Wildcat is not thus they are not rushing to to get it open.

I really can't see WildCat going anywhere. There have been far worse accidents on other coasters, and they are still operating.

As far as the 8" discussed in the article, it sounds as if that would be the space from when the chain stops advancing the car to where the hill is at.

I am still waiting for the determination of why the anti-rollbacks failed.