Son of Beast

Colonel_SoB_fan

Is there any doubts still about whether this ride can handle stress on a busy day. I was at the park from 11-8 yesterday and Went straight to the Son of Beast line like I always do. It was already over an hour wait and they were starting to use those extra waiting lines. At that moment I said today the Son of Beast can prove a point to the doubters about whether it can handle big crowds without taking time off. About an hour and half later I went back to the Son of Beast to check out the line and at this time they were using ALL the waiting lines, including the ones that extend past the normal ones headed toward Flight Deck. The ride never broke down yesterday, at least when I was there, and it was the longest line I had seen it have since it opened up. The ride is still popular even after a crash and it seems more reliable than ever. Why tear down this roller coaster?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ride were not safe to operate regardless of crowd size, it would not be open.

But, how many people actually think that when they're looking at it? Many people are still in the mindset that it isn't safe. Not because it isn't, it is safe. Just because some people don't think.

And there are many, many reasons a perfectly safe ride could be removed....it happens quite frequently....look at all the rides that once resided at Kings Island but no longer do...virtually every one of them could safely be operated, yet they are gone. Many were also popular, but still they are gone.

Wow this went another direction than I thought it would. I was just addressing everyone reasoning last year when pretty much everyone but a few like me were telling and begging CF to tear down SOB due to it not being popular, reliable, and safe. But not just yesterday but all year so far it has proven to be all those.

I rode Son of Beast Friday night and it was the smoothest ride Ive ever had on SOB. After 8 years and a new ride to the park last year the popularity SOB is bound to fall a little.

Plus people get hurt on rides due to malfuntion and the ride is scrutanized and tested over & over, not tore down. I would'nt count on this record breaking ride going away for a while.

Have you ever rode Mean Streak? Had to have some fillings replaced.

If the ride were not safe to operate regardless of crowd size, it would not be open.

But, how many people actually think that when they're looking at it? Many people are still in the mindset that it isn't safe. Not because it isn't, it is safe. Just because some people don't think.

I rode it back during Fear Fest(sic) and it jarred me so much it felt like my spine was being torn from through my rear end.

Apropos of something, I miss Scooby's Ghoster Coaster! :)

And they tore it down, just when it was finally starting to be comfortable to get in and out of...almost.

Ghoster Coaster was a little tough on the crotch region at different points of the ride...especially during the sudden stop....You'd always here adults going...DOH!! :o:blink:

I rode Son of Beast Friday night and it was the smoothest ride Ive ever had on SOB. After 8 years and a new ride to the park last year the popularity SOB is bound to fall a little.

Plus people get hurt on rides due to malfuntion and the ride is scrutanized and tested over & over, not tore down. I would'nt count on this record breaking ride going away for a while.

Have you ever rode Mean Streak? Had to have some fillings replaced.

yeah the mean streak is very rough ( i love woodies) :lol:

Son of Beast was going smoothly today. In my opinion, it needs more trains. But how is it going to get more trains exactly like the ones it has now since they are from the Hurricane ride?

Actually, Cedar Fair owns other Gerstlauer trains (from rides like Villain). Their presence at Kings Island caused quite the stir last off season, with much speculation they were intended for Beast and/or Racer. The Hurricane trains were greatly modified to run on Son of Beast's wider than standard track. Other Gerstlauer trains could be similarly modified.

Instead of more trains, it would make much more sense to put longer trains on Son of Beast...restoring capacity lost when the Gerstlauer trains were installed. Moreover, Son of Beast was originally intended to have trains longer than the ones that were running on it immediately before the old trains were removed. A car had been removed from each train in an attempt to smooth the ride (which may be why longer trains are not used even now...)

I have a question...how many trains is SOB running..2 or 3?

Kings Island only owns two trains. I agree with the Interpreter that they need to extend the trains, but I there would still be lag time in between trains on . This could really hurt capacity on a Saturday in Mid July when the line is approaching three hours. If they made their dispatches a little faster, I think they could run three without stacking the trains to severely. Sadly, I highly doubt this will happen in the near future due to the fact that the lag time is not severe enough. Got it? :)

I have a question...how many trains is SOB running..2 or 3?

Kings Island only owns two trains.

really now? :blink: did you not read the post that was 2 before yours? ki has the trains from villain! plus if ki only owned 2 trains how in the world would they be able to have 13 other coasters there?

I rode SOB today and found it to be every bit as rough as it has ever been. I thought it was going to shake my teeth out of my head in the rose bowl. It was the first time since it first reopened that it has felt that rough. It was also the first time that I have ridden it on a hot day in the mid afternoon while the track was in the sun. I am certainly not an expert in this area, so I was wondering what if any effect the heat and sun heating the track has on a coaster? I know (from High School level science classes) that matter expands when heated, but dont't know what, if any, effect that would have on something like SOB.

Any ride on SOB is truly amazing for me! It's the best coaster at KI and the second best out of all amusement parks (Goliath at SFoG is my #1.) KI does need to do something with the bad capacity, the lines are too long. I don't see how people cam hate the ride... it doesn't beat me up at all. Maybe cause im only 5ft. tall?