Vortex Problem Today.

VortexPKIFreak

I was there and I saw a train with passengers stopped up on the brakes. There were two park employees (one in red, the other in blue) up there examining. While they were up there, an empty train was sent halfway up the lift hill and was stopped. Not sure what caused this but I believe I saw it running later in the evening.

Well, the mid-course brakes are block brakes. The train likely got stuck up there because there was likely still a train sitting on the brake run immediately adjacent to Shake Rattle and Roll. Now, this was likely a result of the computer shutting the ride down for some reason (could be anything from a faulty sensor, to some sort of computer issue). And the reason you likely saw people up there on the mid course brake, is because there were people on the train. It is standard procedure when a ride goes down for mechanical reasons for ride operators to go and talk with the guests on the stranded train in order to keep them calm and alert them to the current situation.

The sensors used on the rides are very sensitive. Sometimes what the sensors think is a train is actually a bug or something else. And sometimes, like all things electrical or mechanical, they fail and must be replaced. They are designed to fail safe, that is to indicate a train when in fact there is not one there....far safer than the reverse!