Fligh deck Problem May 24th

trint2004

Okay at the park on may 24 I was on my way back to ride Flight Deck and on the way up the line people were walking back saying the brakes went out. I for one just kept going because I was half way there and wanted to see what happened. On the final break run a air hose had broke off and was flying all over the place. It was funny because people were like flipping out. Some of them were like, we could have died, And the people that were getting off the ride were saying things like, I will never ride that again. Its just shows how stupid people can be. lol

Guest TombraiderTy

Stupid guests... :rolleyes:

Don't they just go over the speaker system and say "An air hose has disconnected. This is not a threat and Flight Deck will reopen shortly."

^ Sorry tennageninja, but Flight Decks breaks do not close by default. As with a lot of Arrow coasters (if not all), there are airbags that inflate to pinch the breaks shut. If there is a loss of air pressure, the breaks release. That is the reason why The Vortex and Flight Deck trains, must be chained when the ride is shut off, and also why at night a train is parked on the hill on flight deck and Vortex.

Don't they just go over the speaker system and say "An air hose has disconnected. This is not a threat and Flight Deck will reopen shortly."

Actually, I don't believe they ever tell the GP exactly what happened. Most I have ever heard was mechanical problem or technical difficulties.

Okay, I never post on here but have always found this site fun and informative. I just really find the "stupid guests" comment unnecessary and uncalled for. I for one love coasters and rides but have never worked at an amusement park so my knowledge on the way things work is limited. Without having first hand experience and being a "stupid guest" I suppose something like that might scare someone. So I'm extending my thanks to you for looking down at those of us who have never worked in the amusement park industry as "stupid". Thank You.

Okay, I never post on here but have always found this site fun and informative. I just really find the "stupid guests" comment unnecessary and uncalled for. I for one love coasters and rides but have never worked at an amusement park so my knowledge on the way things work is limited. Without having first hand experience and being a "stupid guest" I suppose something like that might scare someone. So I'm extending my thanks to you for looking down at those of us who have never worked in the amusement park industry as "stupid". Thank You.

Especially that it turned out to be stupid posters...

Before tycoonrebel7188 cleared things up.

Okay at the park on may 24 I was on my way back to ride Flight Deck and on the way up the line people were walking back saying the brakes went out. I for one just kept going because I was half way there and wanted to see what happened. On the final break run a air hose had broke off and was flying all over the place. It was funny because people were like flipping out. Some of them were like, we could have died, And the people that were getting off the ride were saying things like, I will never ride that again. Its just shows how stupid people can be. lol

Ive said that before , when The Son of Beast incident happened I was there, and said I wouldnt ride it again because so many people were hurt... Waited an hour the first day it opened back up to ride ;) I guess it scares people when something goes wrong on a ride. I know it would have scared me. I always get a little queasy on Flight Deck anyway because of the noises it makes on the hill LOL!!

Actually, I don't believe they ever tell the GP exactly what happened. Most I have ever heard was mechanical problem or technical difficulties.

Sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. Vortex was shut down for a while and the ride ops would only tell us "technical difficulty". However Delirium was shut down once and one of the higher-ups (engineer? inspector?) got called to the scene. I asked him if he could tell me what is going on, he said one of the sensors that monitors the frisbee location/orientation was reporting incorrect data or something to that effect.

Here's a question about Flight Deck, is there a reason that the transfer table isn't used more than it is? I've ridden Flight Deck 10 times this year all with a station wait or less. I've never seen the transfer table used, even when I rode it when there was no wait. Isn't it unnecessary to run 2 trains when they would be fine with just one, especially on an empty Friday night? Would it be cost effective?

I asked him if he could tell me what is going on, he said one of the sensors that monitors the frisbee location/orientation was reporting incorrect data or something to that effect.

Not many people would understand what that meant, which is why they are taught to say "technical difficulties."

The mat as well have sad it was the Flux Capacitor.

The crew can't just decide at 9:00, oh let's take a train off. Trains are rarely taken off for small crowds because it is hard to predict them unless there is a buyout.

Interesting. Over at that park chain that numbers their flags, trains are taken off and put back on routinely throughout a day. Once upon a time, during a major enthusiast event, approximately 1/3 of the ERT for a major coaster was consumed by removing a train from The Great American Scream Machine in New Jersey. Of course this was under the old, storied management....

Ive said that before , when The Son of Beast incident happened I was there, and said I wouldnt ride it again because so many people were hurt... Waited an hour the first day it opened back up to ride ;) I guess it scares people when something goes wrong on a ride. I know it would have scared me. I always get a little queasy on Flight Deck anyway because of the noises it makes on the hill LOL!!

If it helps, those noises actually mean you're safer.

If it helps, those noises actually mean you're safer.

I never really thought of it like that. I only hear it every now and then, which probably depends on where Im seated, but they always make me a little unsure. But Thanks!! You make a good point. :)

Here's a question about Flight Deck, is there a reason that the transfer table isn't used more than it is? I've ridden Flight Deck 10 times this year all with a station wait or less. I've never seen the transfer table used, even when I rode it when there was no wait. Isn't it unnecessary to run 2 trains when they would be fine with just one, especially on an empty Friday night? Would it be cost effective?

I don't proclaim to be "in the know" about the cost effectiveness of removing a train, but I really don't see where there is that much savings. If you are running a single train on a multi-train layout, good maintenance practices would be to use different trains during the single train operation. Make wear and tear on the equipment as equal as possible. As for other costs in operating more than one train, don't really see where there is that much cost savings. The load factor on the lift chain is not all that much, especially if there is light traffic and you are towing an almost empty train. Once it is off of the lift, gravity provides all of the power needed. Cost effective? I would think negligible savings. As for safety, you would have increased safety as there is less rush to empty a train and get it out for staging the next train.

I don't proclaim to be "in the know" about the cost effectiveness of removing a train, but I really don't see where there is that much savings. If you are running a single train on a multi-train layout, good maintenance practices would be to use different trains during the single train operation. Make wear and tear on the equipment as equal as possible. As for other costs in operating more than one train, don't really see where there is that much cost savings. The load factor on the lift chain is not all that much, especially if there is light traffic and you are towing an almost empty train. Once it is off of the lift, gravity provides all of the power needed. Cost effective? I would think negligible savings. As for safety, you would have increased safety as there is less rush to empty a train and get it out for staging the next train.

You assume that cycling an empty train causes negligible wear and tear to the train and track...and that is not necessarily a correct assumption.

I always find the anti-rollback sound to be converting. Its good to hear something that will keep you safe if you stop.

Comforting maybe instead of converting.

sorry thats what i was wanting to say but was tired. I work third shift so at that time i was getting ready for bed.

Not wanting to start a new topic but did anyone know why the Crypt was closed this past wednesday and thursday? I really wanted to see what it was like. I was glad to have gotten on Flight of Fear the second day as it was closed on wednesday, though.