SeaWorld Orlando - Manta OFFICIALLY Announced!

In response to 74Gibsonff and Beast1979, you both make a good argument. Manta is what you might say is "relatively basic". Most of the ride introduces elements that have already been used many times before. It seems that most of these 'newer' rides are going for that. Just take a look at The Dark Knight Coaster. Yes I have heard some very bad reviews for this ride and we all by now know its a basic indoor wild mouse coaster. But it took an old idea and made something new and creative out of it.

It's almost 2009 guys, if you take a look at the history of rides and coaster you will notice that the designs and layouts are becoming more unique. A themed Topspin in a building (admit it it was a VERY cool and unique idea), a coaster that actually sprays water (Sheirka), even Diamondback has something unique with its own splashdown. If Diamondback were to just go into the breaks with no splashdown it would have been like any other B&M hyper. Were moving into a time where coasters are not just hills, loops, or launches, but more about the overall experience. Manta is not only the construction of the the coaster but of a musium. You get a personal overal understanding of the rays before you partake in the coaster. Remind you of Expidition Everest queue line?

I believe that were moving into an age where rides can be what you may say 'cookie cutters'; however, the overall expirience and elements done on the ride make it a brand new expirience.

Nemo had a good feel for it; I’ll just take a quick poke at it.

Some say “size is everything”

While others say “it’s not the size that matters but it is what you can do with it”

Sea World with their space limitations has went with the second approach to give maximum pleasure to their guest and to get oooooh’s and awwwh’s from the whole overall experience.

A video I posted in another thread a few days back may help describe what they are doing in the theme areas. Just fast forward to 1:45 in the video.

1. I have no clue why they want the ride done so early, Diamondback has the (Dissapearing each year) Cincinnati winter, Florida has what? The occasional Frost?

2. That inline spin does look awesome.

3. It still looks like a relatively basic coaster. It has a bit more new elements but the layout is pretty simple and kinda short compared to things like their Floorless models. I don't know about you but I for one would like to see a nice sized Flyer, about 4,200 feet long or more, with more elements than just a pretzel loop and a few barrel rolls, maybe some lie elements like on Vekoma Flyers, and if you could try and work it into some terrain. I see these coasters with great potential but it looks like they are making a bit of a cookie cutter out of it as far as elements and basic layout. Does anyone else understand what I'm getting at?

1. You have to understand that the ride is only the basic component of the entire EXHIBIT. While the trackwork will be completed well before Christmas, there are many, many other things left to do. Attention will shift to complete the aquarium / exhibit and put in place all theming elements. You also have to understand that this is a far more competitive market down here and Universal is opening up a new coaster too.....so of course SeaWorld would love to have Manta done first. Opening has now been shifted to Spring of 2009 instead of Summer 2009. Track work should be complete in the next 2 weeks.

2. Yes, the entire thing is looking great. After the first inline spin, the track glides over the tree tops as it enters the downward helix which is cool. Actually that entire section is looking nice, lots of supports crossing over and under the track as it threads the Pretzel Loop.

3. Sure, its a relatively basic coaster, but so is Diamondback.....and please spare me any comments about the splashdown on Diamondback. Its a feature thats been tried and tested before. The problem is, just about every coaster is a cookie cutter if we use your standards. If they throw a vertical loop in, then it'd have the same element as Firehawk. If they throw a cobra roll in, it'd have the same element as Raptor. And so on, and so on. I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about a brand new ride with a completely custom layout. For that matter, Diamondback's layout is completely basic too. Hill, drop, hill, drop, just like every other hyper out there. Again, spare me any comments about Diamondback using the terrain to make it unique....please see Apollo's Chariot :-)

Not trying to be rude! :-)

- Todd, basic layouts or not.....Manta and Diamondback both look like fantastic new rides!

3. Sure, its a relatively basic coaster, but so is Diamondback.....and please spare me any comments about the splashdown on Diamondback. Its a feature thats been tried and tested before.

Oh, thank God. I thought the spashdown for Diamondback looked WAY too risky. :rolleyes:

Well, now, Ryan this IS Kings Island we are talking about here....dunno that splashdown may be pushing the envelope a bit ;-) Anyway, Terpy, it doesn't take much for Ryan to get all wet!

- Todd

Besides, unless Cedar Fair is far better at maintaining what passes for "theme elements" in Ohio than Paramount Parks was, there will be no water in Diamondback's splashdown in, oh, about four years. Oh, you don't believe me, dear reader? Adventure Express, Tomb Raider: The Ride, etc.

Then again, what did Six Flags do to the mist on Superman: The Ride in Massachusetts? Same thing, different reason.

Over at Busch, if past is prologue, the theming will be meticulously kept.

• 2 weeks later...

The last piece of track was hoisted into placed yesterday for Manta......JohnnyUpsideDown.com has two pictures sent out from the Park. You can see the pictures at http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta0.html . Overall, the project is going up fast and looking better and better each day. I've heard from several people that the trains are on-site as well, but being stored underneath Wild Arctic in a storage area underneath the ride itself. I do recall talking to one of the leads at Arctic few weeks back and her commenting that they did temporarily shut down one side due to a delivery for Manta. Despite the Park still touting a Summer 2009 opening in a recent interview, all signage IN park have been updated to reflect a Spring 2009 opening. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a possible soft opening by April when all the Spring Breakers are out and about.....of course this is purely speculation on my part.

Besides, unless Cedar Fair is far better at maintaining what passes for "theme elements" in Ohio than Paramount Parks was, there will be no water in Diamondback's splashdown in, oh, about four years. Oh, you don't believe me, dear reader? Adventure Express, Tomb Raider: The Ride, etc.

Then again, what did Six Flags do to the mist on Superman: The Ride in Massachusetts? Same thing, different reason.

Over at Busch, if past is prologue, the theming will be meticulously kept.

I have a feeling there will be. It's a main feature of the ride. Just like the christmas tree on TTD, or the mist in the Iron Dragon pond. It adds excitement to the ride. (And PP wasn't too good at keeping things working... IJST anyone?)