Handicap treatment

Karen

well to those that followed this one - I got my damaged wheelchair back Monday after almost 8 months waiting for the park to fix it. It was not a good experience I am sorry to say. Long story for another day.

My topic is basically this - I wonder if people think that Kings Island is honestly handicapped accessible? Do they really follow the required guidelines?

I hope that this year the park learned from my experience and makes changes to correct what happened to me so that no one else has to deal with what I have undergone. Have you seen changes that might need to be made here and if so did you suggest them to any of the survey takers? The PROACTIVE approach helps so many people!

From the things I have heard the rides I was able to ride last year would be impossible this year due to changes. Did they add more restraints that would limit larger sized people access to the rides? I heard this but have not visited the park this year so would really like to know if this rumor is true.

I would honestly love to prevent my really bad experience from happening to others. It was upsetting and unfortunate. I would really like to see others please report any possible bad areas. Those of you that work you must have seen something that you can request or suggest a proactive change that would prevent anyone - handicapped or otherwise - from having any type of an injury or damage to items.

My own suggestion to the park - during Halloween Haunt - please assure anyting that dangles or would interfer with a toggle switch be at a height above the average switch. Most chairs/scooters have the same uniform height for that toggle switch - please make sure nothing can touch it. It only takes a slight hit to send a chair off. If doing so would take away the experience to others then please post something at the start of a trail/attraction/ride that would let the handicapped know and plan accordingly.

When I am just sitting around - anywhere - I have to turn my chair off. Too often little ones become curious and run up - grab it and my chair takes off!! one child had me going in circles laughing while the parents and myself tried to get him off of it!! It was rather comical but something I had to learn via trial and error to avoid. I am very careful with the control switch as they often cost well over $2,000 to replace if broken and most insurance companies do not pay for that part lol. Please teach your child to leave that switch alone!! Electric wheelchairs cost what a used car would - mine was $8,000 when I purchased it so yea it is highly important to take care of them and very important that others respect our property and respect our very necessary need for our equipment.

Suggestion to all of you as well. Please do not stare the handciapped down - a nice smile would be considerate. Say hello and please treat everyone equally and politely. Manners go a long way. You have no idea the number of people my daughter would love to run over that love to cut in front of wheelchairs - unfortunately we do not have breaks!!!

Oh and our horns are not very loud lol Ask Dane, he loves my horn and to laugh at it!!! He keeps telling me to get a better horn on it!

I have not seen any changes this year that would limit accessibility to the disabled. The Americans with Disabilities Act is the law, and Cedar Fair and the park are well aware of that. Much more importantly, it is both the right thing to do AND smart to design things so that all can enjoy without making special provisions for just some...it's called universal access, and it means just what it sounds like it does. All are entitled to the same experience, to the maximum extent practicable. Just as I will never play pro football, there are some things that cannot reasonably be accommodated. And therein lies the difficulty. What is reasonable? What is not?

Compliance is a work in progress. All of us would be shocked to go back to the America of 40 years ago...where there was virtually universal non-access. For an example, see the arch in St Louis. Absolutely deplorable access, steps galore, and virtually inaccessible pods to ride to the top.

Compliance is a work in progress. All of us would be shocked to go back to the America of 40 years ago...where there was virtually universal non-access. For an example, see the arch in St Louis. Absolutely deplorable access, steps galore, and virtually inaccessible pods to ride to the top.

And yet an absolutely amazing attraction.

There are many plantations and historic sites that were built in the 1700's and 1800's.

It would be an absolute travesty to destroy these attractions to create so called compliance.

KI is alot better than CP is, where several of their rides are not handicapped accessible at all.

Still, you have to know the risks that come from these things. If you know pretty much every haunted house has a part where you walk through things hanging from the ceiling (and I know you have the Haunt experience to know this), you should know that eventually, one could very well swing and happen to hit that switch. Yes, the park is working to make these attractions enjoyable for most people (most because these are not designed for children), but you have to know the risks involved in anything you do, same with the rides.

The rides do have added seatbelts from the seat to the restraint, but I doubt they will make much difference, if any at all, in your ability to ride rides. Only examples I can think of where the the seatbelt will make a difference are the Arrow OTSR coasters (Vortex and FD).

Glad to see you back on the forums.

THe only thing I dislike is people taking advantage of the wheelchairs so they can cut in line. I think you should have a cast on your lower portion of your body or something from a doctor or another source saying you have to be in a wheelchair. I have seen too many people get out of a chair and walk to the ride no limp no nothing. I know at CP you can only ride one ride at a time but I think King Island you can do whatever you want I am not sure.

The new seat belts on Vortex almost do not close not because I am fat but its because of my shoulders prevent the harness from going down any more. I have about a foot or more space bewteen the harness and my stomach.

So you're saying you need an impairment everyone can see in order to use Special Access? If you just can't happen to see what my disability is, you'll just assume I am taking advantage of the system?

Also, Special Access isn't a 'cut-in-line' privilege. I'm pretty sure KI adopted a very similar policy last year, but I know for a fact how we do it at CP, and people who go up the exits wait the same amount of time as those who wait in line. The Special Access guest comes to the ride entrance and the entrance host gives a boarding time based on the current wait. We stamp the booklet with a special stamp for our ride only, and sign the book (to prevent fraud). Once the guest's boarding time arrives, they can go up the exit and board the ride. Guests are only allowed one boarding time at a time. They can't be waiting for multiple rides, just like nobody else can. It's a very well thought out system, and it is very fair.

Reclaimer, well said. The policies at both parks, even under previous owners, were pretty fair and this year they have gotten even more specific and even better.

well to those that followed this one - I got my damaged wheelchair back Monday after almost 8 months waiting for the park to fix it. It was not a good experience I am sorry to say. Long story for another day.

My question to you is; why did the park have to fix it? Did they, the park, break it?

My topic is basically this - I wonder if people think that Kings Island is honestly handicapped accessible? Do they really follow the required guidelines?

Having traveled to both CP and KI with people who were handicapped I was worried about the changes made throughout the CF chain this year. Both KI and CP had similar programs in the past when KI was under Paramount and now it seems they have the same but much more revised in detailed. To be honest, its for the best, its a good system, and it keeps people from taking advantage. Best of all, its fair to all types of guests.

I hope that this year the park learned from my experience and makes changes to correct what happened to me so that no one else has to deal with what I have undergone. Have you seen changes that might need to be made here and if so did you suggest them to any of the survey takers? The PROACTIVE approach helps so many people!

From the things I have heard the rides I was able to ride last year would be impossible this year due to changes. Did they add more restraints that would limit larger sized people access to the rides? I heard this but have not visited the park this year so would really like to know if this rumor is true.

No offense, and I'm a big guy myself, but if they added restraints that further inhibit larger guests from riding, how is this a problem? Since when is being large a disability?

I would honestly love to prevent my really bad experience from happening to others. It was upsetting and unfortunate. I would really like to see others please report any possible bad areas. Those of you that work you must have seen something that you can request or suggest a proactive change that would prevent anyone - handicapped or otherwise - from having any type of an injury or damage to items.

What exactly was your experience and how exactly was the park responsible? You said they fixed it and I doubt they really had any obligation to, maybe thanking them instead?

THe only thing I dislike is people taking advantage of the wheelchairs so they can cut in line.

That is a common misconception, maybe you should be a little more informed on the new CF disability policy. Guests with a disability do not just get to "cut in line."

I think you should have a cast on your lower portion of your body or something from a doctor or another source saying you have to be in a wheelchair.

If you wish to have an Attractions Boarding Pass (this is what they are called now, no longer "dissability passes") you need to stop by guest relations, inform them of your disability and what you are physically capable of riding and your physical needs and requirements, then they help you decide based on the ride restrictions what is ok and what isn't ok to ride. I found them to be very helpful this past weekend, especially with that new A.C. office they have.

I have seen too many people get out of a chair and walk to the ride no limp no nothing.

I'm guessing you are not a doctor, just because a disability isn't physically visible does not mean it doesn't exist. Many children with autism, like my goddaughter, can not wait in lines with a lot of people or become uncomfortable in large social settings, so using the attractions boarding pass and getting a time to ride works out great for her.

I know at CP you can only ride one ride at a time but I think King Island you can do whatever you want I am not sure.

Incorrecnt, at both CP and KI (Both under the CF chain and when KI was under Paramount) guests who had a time on their Attractions Boarding Passes could only have one time to ride at a time (I.E. in line for one ride at a time).

^ Then how come at KI we were able to walk right up to the exit ramp last year and ride the rides?

I am saying if you can walk like a normal person or even a little slower than a normal person would walk you should be made to stand in line like everyone else. THere are way to many people that take advanatge of renting a wheel chair. I have seen people with a sling in them.

Heck the worst thing I saw was a family of overwieght people at the exit of Tomb Raider going on how they can't understand how people walk around the park all day long. I even heard them say I can't believe we got these chairs and nothing is wrong. Then the entire group started to laugh. I call that taking advatage.

^ Then how come at KI we were able to walk right up to the exit ramp last year and ride the rides?

I am saying if you can walk like a normal person or even a little slower than a normal person would walk you should be made to stand in line like everyone else. THere are way to many people that take advanatge of renting a wheel chair. I have seen people with a sling in them.

They had probably had their boarding pass stamped earlier in the day and it was their turn to ride. It's like anyone else, they have to wait the same amount of time.

As King Maple said, there are a lot of different types of disabilities and even more reasons why it's impossible for some people to wait in line in a conventional way. You should be thankful that you CAN wait in line.

• Like 1

It makes my day to see someone in a wheelchair be able to ride a roller coaster/ride. Yeah, I've had to stand in line for awhile, but I can't imagine how neat it is for that other person to be able to spend a day at Kings Island and ride the rides like everybody else.

Vortex seatbelts are still the same as last year...you rode it fine with me last year so shouldn't be a problem this year

Just because you rent a wheel chair does not mean you get to be accomidated up the exit, and once again, when you are accomidated up the exit you are given a time and wait the same amount as everyone else, IT IS NOT CUTTING LINE. To board through the exit you need an Attractions Boarding Pass which you get through Guest Relations, not just by renting a wheel chair. It was the same under Paramount.

^^ I don't think he was saying those that actually need the service of going up the exit ramp is an issue, but it is those who cheat to gain handicap accessibility and go up the exit ramp is the problem.

If they do happen to cheat their way in, those are some cold hearted people.

Guest TombraiderTy

Karen, I'm also wondering what happened. If you could direct me to a former post that explained why the park had to fix your wheel-chair, it would be much appreciated.

i can attest, as my brother is autistic and cant stay in line with a ton of people around, last year when we went, we would take the boarding pass and get it stamped and then come back in the alloted timeframe. I do admit though, that although the policy was in place last year, the kids working there did not know how to use them. the only people who did, were those running Firehawk. The Vortex crew just was confused when we showed them the disability guide and let us on right away, even though there was a ten minute or so line, and same with The Racers and a few others i cant remember.

Guest kwindshawne

I am thankful I am not in that position. Some of the kindest people I have met are handicapped. Seeing some of the kids in wheelchairs smiling when they are in the park make the job worthwhile.

And there in that wheelchair, but for a fall, a sickness, an injury, a stroke, a heart attack, goes you or me. It could happen tomorrow. It may.

One never knows. I, for one, am thankful for the accommodations we, as a society, make for those of us less abled than some of us. And know the day may come that I need those same accommodations. It just boggles my mind that some are jealous of what they see as special measures that might somehow impinge on their day of fun...making them wait a few extra seconds...while someone else is what amounts to imprisoned in their wheelchair for every second of the rest of their life.

But for the grace of God, any of us could be the next Ms. Lassiter, the young lady whose feet were severed at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. We could be in a car accident. We could get some debilitating disease. We could have a stroke. It happens. Or, we could have a child born with a congenital condition that requires wheelchair use.

Don't assume we are entitled to a lifetime of personal mobility without difficulty.

Amen! As some of you may know or not know, I had back surgery when I was 20. I have two titanium rods in my back due to scoliosis. I can ride coasters, at least for now. I am finding it harder and harder as the years go on to stand in lines. The pain and stiffness increases almost daily now. I was in the ER Monday night over this and missed work on Tuesday. I have a feeling that within the next 10-15 years, I'll have to use a wheelchair, at least to some degree. Thank GOD I have a loving wife whom already realizes that when we used to joke about her having to push me around in a wheelchair, that this maybe coming sooner rather than later, which is what we had both hoped would not happen until much later. Had I not had the surgery, it was predicted that I would be in a wheelchair by 40 and it would be the eventual death of me considering I had over 70 degree curvature of the spine. I would have become so bent over I would have crushed my own organs.

Karen, I remember your story and I hope that everything works out well for you. I really do feel for you and I am glad that for the moment, I am ambulatory. Although it seems that is changing daily.

• Like 1

Amen! As some of you may know or not know, I had back surgery when I was 20. I have two titanium rods in my back due to scoliosis. I can ride coasters, at least for now. I am finding it harder and harder as the years go on to stand in lines. The pain and stiffness increases almost daily now. I was in the ER Monday night over this and missed work on Tuesday. I have a feeling that within the next 10-15 years, I'll have to use a wheelchair, at least to some degree. Thank GOD I have a loving wife whom already realizes that when we used to joke about her having to push me around in a wheelchair, that this maybe coming sooner rather than later, which is what we had both hoped would not happen until much later. Had I not had the surgery, it was predicted that I would be in a wheelchair by 40 and it would be the eventual death of me considering I had over 70 degree curvature of the spine. I would have become so bent over I would have crushed my own organs.

Karen, I remember your story and I hope that everything works out well for you. I really do feel for you and I am glad that for the moment, I am ambulatory. Although it seems that is changing daily.

You never know KIBeast.

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I went to see a podiatrist for what was then called "fallen arches." It was a problem with the way the bones of my foot were formed. The podiatrist said that there was not a lot that could be done and that I'd probably need the assistance of a wheelchair by the time I was in my early 20's. (Talk about something devestating to tell a child!) Well needless to say, I'm now 40 years old - remain fully active in sports and don't need any assistance.

So the moral to this story - things may be ok down the road.

^Whom are you talking to?

I like your moral of the story, Woofer. However, you did not have any corrective surgery, at least none you stated. I, on the other hand, had major back surgery for 8 hours. I would like to think that things could get better down the road, but I'm not counting on it.

I am curious too as to what happened, and why KI was held obligated to fix the chair...if they were obligated to fix the chair, then something happened that was KI's fault?

I'm curious too. I'm sure Kings Island is like any other company in this great land which is to amit nothing! So What happen? Did you get them on flim recking your wheelchair?

I honestly don't understand why someone in a wheelchair would visit a place like KI.

:angry: Oh no, please tell me you did not just say that. Prepare for the wrath of the Gator...

My sister has been going through treatments for cancer for several months now. She accompanied us, in her wheelchair, on opening day. She was able to ride SD&THC, KI&MVRR and enjoy the shows. But the part that she enjoyed the most was seeing her niece, my daughter, having a blast on the rides in Nick U. She wanted to attend the Knievel jump with us too, but unfortunately had to go to the hospital the day before. But her trip to KI brightened up her day and got her mind off the long winter months in and out of the hospital, and her upcoming surgery. So in your mind, she shouldn't have gone just because she's in a wheelchair???

One of my best friends has been in a wheelchair for 16 years now due to a snow skiing accident when he was a teen. He is and always has been very active. He is able to water ski, snow ski, and plays quad rugby. He is a KI season pass holder, and is physically able to ride every ride at the park, with the exception of the waterslides in Boomerang Bay of course. He also enjoys seeing his son on the rides in Nick U. But he should not be able to enjoy the park just like everyone else just because he's in a wheelchair? Should he also not go to the NASCAR races with us at Bristol like he has every August for the past 10 years?

Believe it or not, just because a person is not able to walk does not mean that they cannot enjoy almost everything that a fully able-bodied person can. To think otherwise is extremely small minded.

I highly suggest anyone who thinks this way to seek out the movie Murderball. It's a 2005 Oscar nominated film about the US Paralympic Quad Rugby team (my friend was recently in contention to join this team for the upcoming Paralympics in Beijing, but unfortunately got cut during the selection process). This movie just may change your mind as to what people in chairs are capable of. And just try telling these guys that they shouldn't go to a place like Kings Island. As this quote from Mark Zupan, one of the guys featured in the film, suggests, there are plenty of wheelchair bound people who can manage quite well: "You're not gonna hit a kid in a chair? Hit me... I'll hit you back."

http://www.murderballmovie.com/

• Like 1