Question about the weather policy

Jeffrey99

Hey guys, newb here. My family's planning on making a trip to KI on Saturday from Southern Indiana. Looking at the weather as of right now, looks like there is a 50% chance of rain. I'm wondering what exactly is KI's weather policy? I've tried searching online and can't find my answer. I went about 10 years ago and it was raining all day. As far as I can remember, as long as there wasn't any lightning or threat of severe weather, they kept all the rides open. Just wondering is that still what they do today? Just wanting to make sure before we make the 2 hour trip.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

That was back under Paramount policy, Cedar Fair is a little more strick on this. There have been times where people went and they didnt close rides down and there has been time were only 4-5 rides were open. I say make a call up there and check if any rides will be open/close today.

It seems like the weather policy is a major bone of contention on this website. The policy apparently has changed under the new owndership and you hear different reports from different people. I would call Kings Island at 800-288-0808 and speak to guest relations just to get it from the horses mouth. They are very familiar with park policies and procedures regarding inclement weather.

Predicting what rides will be operating in poor weather is like trying to predict the weather.

What we don't see while in the park is the weather radar. If the radar can see severe weather coming, then the rides will close down. If a brief shower is passing through, the park is more apt to not close rides down completely.

There is really no black and white specific rules when it comes down to the weather policy since every weather front is different, thus different scenarios take place. But you can bet, the park will take the "safer the better" attitude and close rides down even if the threat is small.

Sometimes the radar will show a severe front close to the park, and the decision to close the rides down will be made, only to have the front completely miss the park by a few miles. Guests is the park will be upset since the weather never hit, but the park does not have much of a choice. What if the severe weather hits, which knocks out power to the park, and people have to be evacuated down lift hills during a storm? That is just a bad situation no matter what way you look at it. And, god forbid, if someone would happen to be injured during the evacuation. The park would have a lawsuit on their hands.

• Like 1