TR: Six Flags Great America

AZ Kinda Guy

Well the place is just great. I didn't even know I was in a Six Flags park. Multiple trains running on all their coasters, friendly employees, clean, and just a great atmosphere. Their FrightFest puts our FearFest to shame. Why not as many walk thru's, they concentrate mainly on the entire park and it shows. The coaster line up is great. There isn't one bad ride in the whole bunch. Hell, even the Whizzer was fun in it's own weird little way. When it's all said and done, it's one of my favorite corporate parks and I plan to go back there next season....AS always, I've included a link for my pics. Let me know what you think!

Pictures are here

I used to go to that Six Flags when i was in high school.Lived about 2 hrs away in Philly. out of all the Six Flags i have been too it is the best by far for rides and cleanliness.Heck even Dollywood puts Six Flags over Georgia to shame....

Hey AZ Guy,

Ah, the grass is always greener, isn't it? I can't STAND Great America, that's why I drive the 5 hours to PKI. Don't take me wrong, I am very happy you had a good time and I enjoyed your pictures! You actually make the place look good! Maybe they have improved their Fright Fest (which used to suck - and cost near $80 per person, for maybe 2 rides and no haunted houses) since I last went about 5 years ago.

Raging Bull and Batman are awesome coasters, no question. I wish wish wish PKI would build one like either of them. The Whizzer is a great starter coaster for kids. The Eagle was my favorite wooden coaster until I discovered The Beast. Their Giant Drop can't compare to Drop Zone, their canoe ship is half the size of Viking Fury...one cool thing they did have until very recently was a Rotor.

There is talk of them adding a water park next year - at yet another upcharge.

You are doing what I always wanted to, just picking up and going to all the different parks, that is so cool, and something you're going to be so glad you did when you had the opportunity. I made it to about six parks before starting my family - and putting that plan on hold for about 18 years...

The picture you took on the expressway of Sears Tower is literally five minutes from my house. Give a shout next time and I'll steer you to a gas station away from the ghetto! ;)

Hey AZ Guy,

Ah, the grass is always greener, isn't it? I can't STAND Great America, that's why I drive the 5 hours to PKI. Don't take me wrong, I am very happy you had a good time and I enjoyed your pictures! You actually make the place look good! Maybe they have improved their Fright Fest (which used to suck - and cost near $80 per person, for maybe 2 rides and no haunted houses) since I last went about 5 years ago.

Raging Bull and Batman are awesome coasters, no question. I wish wish wish PKI would build one like either of them. The Whizzer is a great starter coaster for kids. The Eagle was my favorite wooden coaster until I discovered The Beast. Their Giant Drop can't compare to Drop Zone, their canoe ship is half the size of Viking Fury...one cool thing they did have until very recently was a Rotor.

There is talk of them adding a water park next year - at yet another upcharge.

You are doing what I always wanted to, just picking up and going to all the different parks, that is so cool, and something you're going to be so glad you did when you had the opportunity. I made it to about six parks before starting my family - and putting that plan on hold for about 18 years...

The picture you took on the expressway of Sears Tower is literally five minutes from my house. Give a shout next time and I'll steer you to a gas station away from the ghetto! ;)

The FrightFest was awesome if you ask me. I like how they concentrated more on the whole park enviroment rather than a whole bunch of walk thrus. That's just a personal preference though.

Yes, Raging Bull did kick butt and it makes me wonder why they couldn't theme something like that to Italian Job. When I first saw the Canoe ship thing I laughed because I look over and theres this canoe swinging in mid-air. All in all, the ride lineup was great. Nothing was sub-par and I finally got to try out a standard size Huss Frisbee! Which wasn't bad at all i might say.

I noticed the Waterpark construction going on and if I'm not mistaken, I believe they decided to make it free with park admission? I could be wrong however.

Yeah I love travelling like this. Many of my recent trips have been planned about a week in advance so it gives me something to look forward to every week.

Taking those Sears Tower pictures were rathering interesting. I was driving, taking pictures, and reading the highway signs all at the same time. Haha, getting gas was hillairious. Let's just say we won't be stopping to get gas in inner-city Chicago at night anytime soon.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. Aside from the many pics I get of the rides, I try to get some of the park as well. Again, thanks for the compliments. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest official report is that it will be free with season passes. Without, they're not saying...yet. I have no doubt they will find a way to make back their $$.

They must have been feeling some major heat the past few years, they've really cleaned up their act since the mid-90's.

AZ- that sounds like a blast. Indiana Beach is pretty cool, what I liked was the old boardwalk feel and riding the paratrooper over the water.

The Dells have some new coasters I guess. My daughter went this summer but couldn't get her friends to go on any of them.

Not much to sightsee in Chicago...unless you come when the Reds are in town and watch them kick the Flubs' butts - again!

And I'm confused - isn't Raging Bull a B & M Floorless?

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post but, i've been a long time lurker.

AZ Kinda Guy, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you enjoyed my home park. It truly is one of the nicer parks out there (right along with PKI). And it's nice to see the Whizzer get some praise!

One thing is true though, after riding Drop Zone on Labor Day weekend, I can now ride Giant Drop over and over and over and it doesnt phase me a bit! smile.gif

And btw, Raging Bull is a speed coaster, with raised seating, so it feels like its floorless because you can't reach the floor.

• 2 weeks later...