Can You Ride?

Elizabeth

Hi all!

I am new to the boards, and have a lingering question. I saw this topic on one of CPs message boards, and wanted to start one here for those of us "up north" making the trip to Kings Island!

I was just curious to see who can ride @ KI and can't ride based upon your weight/clothing size. A few years ago I was able to ride everything but Drop Zone and FoF. I started a diet in January and have lost 30 pounds. I used to be 306, and am now 270ish. I wear a size 18 in clothing.

Just curious to hear from other women riders/husbands with larger women as to if who has problems fitting with the restraints and seatbelts?

Any insight would be great!

~Elizabeth

People will be more able to help you if you add two more pieces of information....

a. How tall are you?

b. What size is your bust?

The second really matters of several of the coasters...honest.

LOL it's okay, that's why I'm asking!

I'm 5'6 and wear a 40C.

And to anyone else reading, don't hold back, believe me, I let my depression get the best of me years ago, and ate my way to where I was. I have lost weight, and intend on losing more, but I just don't know if I want to make the trip with my friends or not :)

~Elizabeth

You are doing great...and weight loss is hard. The sad thing is the restraints have gotten much less forgiving in recent years at Cedar Point. Top Thrill Dragster, in particular, has much less room than it had when it opened...but it doesn't have over the shoulder restraints. My guess is you are right on the borderline of fitting/not fitting it, and Millennium Force....Raptor, I seem to remember, has at least a couple of larger seats (commonly known as Big Boy seats...). Wicked Twister is also one that you are borderline.

Perhaps someone here has been your size recently and gone to Cedar Point...(I have each year barely fit the big coasters at Cedar Point until about two years ago...and that was with me losing 20-25 pounds a year...they would just barely keep up with me...the more I lost, the tighter the restraints got...it was like it was a communist plot! HA HA) And yes, I am male, but I now have and have had many female friends your size...

I have seen on Firehawk a couple times someone wait the whole time in line and then not be able to ride.I do belive I've read on the signs outside the rides that you can enter the ride through the exit and ask the ride ops if you can check if you can fit into the restraints.

And at Cedar Point, there are test seats outside the queue line (as there are for Delirium and The Crypt at Kings Island). Unfortunately, you must travel to the park before you find out if you do or don't fit. The warning signs also contain wording to the effect that: "Guests of exceptional size may be unable to ride."

Last summer at both CP and KI....I was around 200lb and didn't have many problems....I am a bit bigger than you are. But it was snug for me, I am big boned thats my problem....so I am broader. But I wish you the best on loosing that weight! :) Keep up the great work! :D

I fit on everything... but I won't ride everything. I don't have a tremendous bust, but on The Beast and just about all the other coasters, unless I'm wearing a very tight bathing suit, I lose mine on the first drop. I can't imagine what that'd be like for you.

I'm 5'9", and on Vortex, I get severe headaches because my head bounces on the shoulder restraints. My hubby is 6'4" and on Vortex and TG (I'm sorry, even though I got a "FlyGirl" tee shirt, it's still TG to me, not Flight Deck) he has to ride in the front of a car (not necessarily in the first car, just the front) so he can slump enough to fit under the shoulder restraints. His legs are only 34" (one inch longer than mine) but he has a long torso, and can't fit in the back at all on anything, really.

deb

I can help a bit on this. Based on your size/weight I'd say you'd be fine on:

Invertigo

Flight Deck

Adventure Express

Son of Beast

Vortex

Back Lot stunt Track

Viking Fury

White Water Canyon

Congo Falls

Sponge Bob 3D\

Scooby Doo and the Haunted Mansion

You may have a bit of trouble on:

Delerium

Drop Tower

Racer

Beast

The Crypt

Rides that could go either way:

Firehawk

Flight of Fear

Thats mostly based off of what my wife can fit who has similar demensions to you. I will say this: The Racer and Beast are the most unforgiving rides at the place. Both were modified with new lap restraints and a seat divider added later on, in which the cars were never designed for. as a result in order to ride either coaster comfortably you gotta be about 5'5 and 130 pounds. Me I'm a male, 6'2 and 250 pounds and while I can fit and ride on both, my long legs make for an uncomfortable ride with the dreaded "2 click rule".

The most forgiving coasters in the park are definitley Son of Beast and Adventure Express. both have large cars with very forgivable lap bars, and huge seatbelts.

Guest kwindshawne
I fit on everything... but I won't ride everything. I don't have a tremendous bust, but on The Beast and just about all the other coasters, unless I'm wearing a very tight bathing suit, I lose mine on the first drop. I can't imagine what that'd be like for you.

I'm 5'9", and on Vortex, I get severe headaches because my head bounces on the shoulder restraints. My hubby is 6'4" and on Vortex and TG (I'm sorry, even though I got a "FlyGirl" tee shirt, it's still TG to me, not Flight Deck) he has to ride in the front of a car (not necessarily in the first car, just the front) so he can slump enough to fit under the shoulder restraints. His legs are only 34" (one inch longer than mine) but he has a long torso, and can't fit in the back at all on anything, really.

deb

I have trouble on Vortex-I am a whopping 5'2", so my head bangs around a lot on the restraints. Firehawk-I still say it is uncomfortable for females. Everything else is ok-I have room to spare on the other ones. My problem is being too short!!!

Guest kwindshawne
To avoid the head bouncing thing on Vortex, simply put your head firmly against one side or the other of the restraint. Yes, it sounds crazy. Yes, it works.

Tried that-couldn't work. I usually just lean forward best I can. It hits me on the top of my ears, and I come off with a headache every time. I have not ridden it this year, and I am cutting back because the pain isn't worth it. I am also having trouble handling the forces on the first drop. I hate getting older :angry:

Went to Coastermania this year and the belt issue was a non-issue. I have had troubles in past but not this year.

They would even help out on MF and TTD which they would not do in past. And the issue of the orange seciton that

must be showing seemed to be gone as well. It was click, slight pull, bar down and go.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I was there 3 years ago, and was able to ride Delirium, and IJST, or the "back lot" coaster.

The only two I wasn't able to ride were Drop Zone and FoF... but with FoF the seatbelt was super close to snapping, and they tried their hardest! Just wasn't sure with the new seatbelts and all. So hopefully with losing the weight I have, I should be okay. We'll see later this summer!

~Elizabeth

Interesting question! I've had this problem. I'm a "big girl", and about 6-7 years ago, I had to stop riding The Beast because I was just too big to fit in it. At the time, I was 5'9" and about 260lbs. I carried it well, I'll have to say, but I had a big butt. At the time, I was a 42D also. Believe it or not, The Beast was the only ride I could no longer fit in. It was because of that little divider thingy they have between the seats. If that wasn't there, I would have been golden!

The other ride that I was borderline on was Drop Zone. If I was 5lbs heavier, I wouldn't have fit. Also, the other ride that was quite uncomfortable for me was the Monster. I love tha ride, but if you recall, when they "close up" the bottom part over you, there are two metal bars. One is chest level, and one is in your lap. That lower one cut into my belly and I almost couldn't breathe, so I stopped riding that one as well.

That was years ago, and I've lost over 70lbs since then. I went to Kings Island for the first time in 7 years last weekend and I could ride everything! I missed The Beast and now I can fit in with no problem! YAY!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I also wonder this. I am 5'6 and about 275. Last time I was there I was about 289 and could ride everything but FoF and Drop Zone. But Firehawk wasn't there so I don't know about that.

We may be going this weekend though, and I'm rather skeptical about going. Like you, I am also on the weight loss journey, so congratulations and keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm around a size 18 and I've always been able to fit in all the rides at King's Island, though not comfortably. I carry all my weight in my hips and thighs so I just have to squeeze myself into the seats. Good thing fat is malleable! For the record I am 6' as well so my knees bang against everything...yeah pretty much I leave King's Island with bruises all over me.