The Cicadas

FlyingEagle

Yep. It all depends on the area. There are barely any at my house (which wasn`t true when we had the other brood of seventeen year cicadas back in 2004). But at my work near Blue Ash, you literally had to dodge cicadas walking out to your car today.

I think they're cool. They are harmless and rare, as in once every 17 years. The brood in 2004 was HUGE here. People's trash cans that they would put out in the morning would be completely covered by the end of the day. And you would have to stop and pick them off off yourself before going into the house. We even found several of the really rare ones with the blue eyes. And the noise was indescribable. I just hope to be around to see that again......

Their at boomerang bay too! I was their the other day and I stepped on one. :huh:

They're really bad at Boomerang bay. The cicadas were really loud in the back of the water park, and there were a lot of them in the lazy river.

There's not one here in northern Kentucky, but at Lake Cumberland they're even worse than at KI.

Guest kwindshawne

They were bad at Ft Ancient on Sunday as well. I had the air on in my car and could hear them clearly over it-and once out of the car, it was deafening.

I dont mind them too much, but after a few hours the noise gets annoying. I have not seen the blue eyed one, but would like to. How long before they go away again?

They were bad at Ft Ancient on Sunday as well. I had the air on in my car and could hear them clearly over it-and once out of the car, it was deafening.

I dont mind them too much, but after a few hours the noise gets annoying. I have not seen the blue eyed one, but would like to. How long before they go away again?

They should be gone in about two or three weeks..... If you find a blue eyed one, FYI, there are insect collectors who will pay money for them.......

We kept getting dive bombed by them while waiting in line for several rides, and they were so loud by the Train station that it was hard to carry on a conversation. Does anyone know why they make such a racket?

I noticed that Thursday. They're really prevalent at KI for not being in season.

A friend of mine is a big bug collector and they are in season around Kings Island this year. I saw something in the paper up here in Columbus about it this year too.

Guest kwindshawne

They should be gone in about two or three weeks..... If you find a blue eyed one, FYI, there are insect collectors who will pay money for them.......

I have heard that. Not sure I would go to the trouble of catching one for extra cash, would just like to see one. Fascinating creatures..... :P

You guys are such babies. ;)

Really, my house is Swarming with cicada's. I mean if you don't watch where you step and tiptoe, you'll step on 20!

When I went to Kings Island There were like barely Any cicadas. i mean they were making a little noise, but compare it to some other places (my house), Kings Island is a get away from the Cicadas.

The only place I noticed them much was BB over by the Snowy River Rampage area.

We kept getting dive bombed by them while waiting in line for several rides, and they were so loud by the Train station that it was hard to carry on a conversation. Does anyone know why they make such a racket?

It's an insect mating call...aka a love song. And after the cicadas do their thing, they die:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2008-...-BroodXIV_N.htm

Guest kwindshawne

What is their purpose in the circle of life? Seems kinda pointless to be here do their thing and die. What else do they contribute?

My grandfather was a farmer, and the last thing he said to me in the hospital was he couldn't quite figure out what a fly's purpose was. All he could determine was they were here to "aggravate those poor cows". Beyond that, he couldn't find a use for them. So along those lines, I am wondering what the cicadas purpose is.

Guest kwindshawne

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not sleeping too well these days. On the other hand, who can tell??

I have heard if the birds knew better, they are good eating for them, but I guess since they are not around much, the birds don't know this.

Back in the late 80's when they were very active, Snappy Tomatoe Pizza had a jingle that was a parody and went something like this:

"...Snap, Snap, Snappy Cicada Pizza..."

Do anybody remember hearing this? I know that when I was working at UC while going to the Mount, I was constantly bombarded when I had to vacuum out the VIP's cars. They were attracted to the noise of the vac and it drove me nuts! :D

Mike

Back in the late 80's when they were very active, Snappy Tomatoe Pizza had a jingle that was a parody and went something like this:

"...Snap, Snap, Snappy Cicada Pizza..."

Do anybody remember hearing this? I know that when I was working at UC while going to the Mount, I was constantly bombarded when I had to vacuum out the VIP's cars. They were attracted to the noise of the vac and it drove me nuts! :D

Mike

Yes indeed, I remember that jingle.

^ I remember that jingle well. When the cicadas were out in 2004, I started singing that one time. My wife, who is from NE Ohio and wasn't around the last time they were out, was disgusted at the thought of eating them on a pizza and quickly asked me to stop singing that.

My 3 year old daughter absolutely loves cicadas. She likes to talk to them and pet them like they were a dog. I definitely need to get video of her doing that so we can show her the next time they come around when she's a teenager!

When we were up on the Eiffel Tower on 6/1, there was a cicada clinging to the railing. My daughter pet it and talked to it, telling it "It's okay, you'll be fine." How it managed to get up there that high I don't know, but it looked like it was clinging on for dear life in that wind. When we were ready to get on the elevator to go back down, my daughter made sure to say goodbye to her new cicada friend.

At KI, they were most deafening in line for Crocodile Run on Sunday. One even landed on my bare back there. I just calmly turned around to show it to my wife and she got it off of me. I don't mind them that much. They're not around too long, and not very often.