The Cicadas

FlyingEagle

Whoah! That is creepy, and not what i saw at CP. The things i saw were like moths and mosquitoes mixed together.

That is a Mayfly, aka "Candian Flyers".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

Mayflies are really bad around the shores of Lake Erie at night. They get so bad that entire pop machines, glass windows, etc. will be covered due to the mayflies attraction to light.

That is why you don't want to be in the first seat of a CP coaster, and that you need to keep your mouth closed on rides from about 5:00pm till closing. Just take a look on the front of the coaster cars to seet the previous night's casulties.

I have seen a picture of a teenager that sat in ther front seat of TTD. It looked like he was shot by very small pellets and he was bleeding all over his white T-shirt. The small blood marks were actually bugs killed by his body traveling at 142mph.

During the baseball playoffs last year, Jacobs Field (now Progressive Field) was "attacked" by what the TV announcers believed to be mayflies but were not. The bugs that attacked the playing field are a relative to a mosquito, but don't bite.

I have seen a picture of a teenager that sat in ther front seat of TTD. It looked like he was shot by very small pellets and he was bleeding all over his white T-shirt. The small blood marks were actually bugs killed by his body traveling at 142mph....

I don't think so. Kingda Ka, which is faster, goes only 128. Does Cedar Point now claim Top Thrill does 142? It used to claim 120.... :)

Guest rcfreak339

I have a all outside dog and he eats these little cicadas, I think it's very odd for my dog to be eating these things. Does anybody elses pet eat them?

There vey bad at my house and over a SFKK.

I am so sick of looking at these things. LOL In West Virginia and elsewhere in the region, they are EVERYWHERE! Interesting science lesson for you.. that particular cicada is a female. They have a lil thing on their tails to deposit eggs into trees. The males have white on the thorax, which is what amplies the sound you hear. The sound is caused by the legs tho. And, yes it is their mating. Give or take, another 2 to 3 weeks and they will be gone for most of the region. Gotta love biology class! And btw, its safe for your pets to eat them. In fact, many people in other countries eat them and they for some reason think it is quite tasty. When I was in the Middle East, they would roast them and dip them in a honey sauce. I will stick with Kentucky Fried Chicken. LOL

I have seen a picture of a teenager that sat in ther front seat of TTD. It looked like he was shot by very small pellets and he was bleeding all over his white T-shirt. The small blood marks were actually bugs killed by his body traveling at 142mph....

I don't think so. Kingda Ka, which is faster, goes only 128. Does Cedar Point now claim Top Thrill does 142? It used to claim 120.... :)

darn fat finger!

Guest rcfreak339

^^^Me 2!, but anyway has anyone else noticed all the dead cicads around the park! I guess there all going bye-bye...all well!

Guest kwindshawne

I will be back on Saturday-are they any better? Nasty little buggers....all you have to do is move a little and they stick to you.

^^^^ LOL! I do that to!

You gulp them like crazy? :blink:

LOL! J/K.

I think cicadas are cool. I love playing with them - picking them up by their wings and letting them walk up my arm or the front of my shirt. Of course having them fly into your mouth isn't good. But hey - people get too worked up over the little guys. I say enjoy them while they last!

...I think cicadas are cool. I love playing with them - picking them up by their wings and letting them walk up my arm or the front of my shirt. Of course having them fly into your mouth isn't good. But hey - people get too worked up over the little guys. I say enjoy them while they last!

Like the fish do! :)

Guest kwindshawne

Has anyone seen any blue eyed ones?

What is their purpose besides coming out every few years, singing for two weeks, reproducing and dying? Seems kinda pointless to me. I am just trying to figure out if they have a use besides being annoying.

Has anyone seen any blue eyed ones?

What is their purpose besides coming out every few years, singing for two weeks, reproducing and dying? Seems kinda pointless to me. I am just trying to figure out if they have a use besides being annoying.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but what then is the purpose of humans, besides living seven decades, give or take, doing stuff, reproducing and dying? Seems rather pointless in the grand scheme of things...and I am sure to other species and life, we can be annoying! I mean this both philosophically and with a wee bit of sardonic humor.