Coney`s Eurobungy and Slide

dilbert

Well, they have been working on the Eurobungy Dome. They were working on it last Sunday when I spent a very HOT five hours working the Ferris Wheel.

Keep in mind that the Eurobungy Dome will be a separate charge attraction. For guests with wristbands, it will be $5 a person. For those without wristbands, it will be $6.

The Eurobungy Dome at Coney WILL be opening for the first time today. This attraction will be a "pay as you play" attraction. Guests will be required to purchase a ticket from any ticket booth at Coney. The operators running the Eurobungy Dome will not be selling ticket, but will be collecting them.

Based on inquiries I`ve received at the Wheel the last several weeks, this attraction will be an immediate hit.

Coasterz..I have a question. Before I do, let me tell you I was a HUGE fan of Coney Island and went there weekly for years before KI. I even did my college Multi Media thesis on moving CI to KI. Besides the Old Coney pictures on display, does the park have an archive of Coney when it was in it's heyday? Thanks.

They have some images in the museum shop. Other then that, there isn`t much on display in the park.

On a side not, the Eurobungy Dome did not open today. Today was the training day for that ride. I myself was trained on that ride. The attraction should open tomorrow. Guests must be between 20 and 220 pounds, have no casts, or braces, no recent surgeries, and must not have any ligament injuries. Again, the attraction is an upcharge attraction and will cost guests with rides wristbands $5 and guests without a wristband $6. The ride was getting dozens of looks from people today. It will surely be a big hit!

Why not? Because most rides that have upcharges would then have six to eight hour lines, that's why. These upcharge rides are normally very low capacity...like Skycoasters, Skyscrapers, Slingshots, etc. Oftentimes, too, they are owned by a vendor, and not the park itself, though that varies. Imagine how long the line would have been for the helicopter rides at Kings Island had there been no upcharge.

Also, the trend in the industry, like it or not, is relatively low gate prices then higher food and upcharge ride prices.

While the Eurobungy Dome has four trampolines inside of it, it will take some time to load people into the harnesses. That coupled with the low number of trampolines would mean that if it were included with wristbands, as Interpreter pointed out, that the line would be enormous.

For a good example of that, just look what happens at Famous Fairways Mini Golf when there are large groups at the park. They get to play golf essentially for free (minus the $1 ball deposit per ball that everyone must pay). Yesterday, at golf, I was constantly running out of balls and putters. There was often a line of people to starte golfing at hole one. Golf, like the Eurobungy Dome is a relatively low capacity attraction. It is also relatively cheap. People with rides wristbands only have to pay $1 plus the $1 ball deposit. Members can play for free (they still have to pay the ball deposit) on weekdays, and for $1 on weekends. If the guest does not have a wristband or a pass, they pay $3 plus the ball deposit.

If you are busting your butt on a 4-in-1 eurobungy, giving two minute rides you can only do 80-90 people an hour and that takes at least 4 people that know what they are doing. Small kids will also hurt that capacity. So if they included it the price everyone would be ****ed about paying to ride then having to wait hours to ride it.

I was a manager for a small traveling carney company for 5 years, and we traveled with a 4-in-1 Eurobungy. Events that rented it and let people go for free were INSANE. I am talking about 2 hours lines at events with 500 people. Luckily in the five years I worked there, we only did a handful of events that didn't upcharge for it (all churches). I've also worked pay-per-play events that we had a two hour line charging $8 per ride, which were okay since we were making money hand over fist :). But that was also at events with 40K people there. Usually charging $7 per ride we would stay steady but never have much of a line.

Coasters - What kind of bungees are they using on it out there at Coney? Is it the standard bungees, or the surgical tubing?

"Because most rides that have upcharges would then have six to eight hour lines"

"Why should ALL guests have to pay extra so just a few can engage in such extreme thrills? "

I'm confused, do alot of people want to ride it or not?

Why is it ok that I have to subsidize people engaging in the extreme thrill of Drop Tower, or a 78 MPH wooden coaster? Why not charge for everything individually?

I would have to say that referring to trampolines and go-karts as "extreme thrills" is a little overboard.

Read Zorba's post again. The point is Euro Bungy can only handle a small number of people. A lot of people DO want to ride it...but not a lot compared to the entire number of people in the park. Why should the probably 95 percent plus part of the guests who don't want to ride have to help pay for the thing? Coasters are different, they get a far higher percentage of the park's attendance riding...even then, though, there are many nonriders. Many would advocate a return to ALL rides being charged per ride. Lines were much shorter back in the ticket days...but would you believe back then you usually were NOT allowed to pick your seat?

Well, I just got home from a double shift at Coney. I was at Eurobungy all day, save for the hour I had to give the people breaks at the Ferris Wheel.

The bungy "elastics" that we have at Coney are like rubbery tubing. Currently, all guests must buy a ticket from either the rides ticket booth, or Guest Relations. Guest relations is the closest to the Eurobungy Dome. However, that policy may change, and we may at some point accept money at the actual ride (we had a lot of people offer us money, and had to tell them to head to guest relations).

By the end of the day, we had a decent amount of people who had enjoyed the attraction.

The tubes give a great jump, but they snap and break like mad. We bought the prototype of the Trailered bungy, so we would have two, and it came with the tubes. Over the course of the summer we had gone through two full sets of bungies. Our other bungy, just like the ones at KI, we used the typical bungees. Only a handful of those would break a year and when they did they never snapped anyone like the tubes would ;).