Tips on saving money

lawchick

Hi all, we're planning a KI trip this summer for our family (husband, twins age 3, possibly some grandparents). Unfortunately my husband has recently taken a huge pay cut, so we're trying to save as much as possible, but really want to give the kids at least a small vacation, so it's KI and the aquarium. Does anyone have any money saving tips?

We're using hotel points for our hotel stay, and plan to keep some food in the car for snacking, but we'll have to at least eat one meal in the park, and probably some drinks. What meal areas give you the best bang for your buck? Same for drinks... and any other money saving information.

Also, can anyone tell me what days of the week are least busy in teh summer? I'm assuming of course M-Thurs, but is one of those days less hectic than the others?

Thanks so much for your help! We came last year but money wasn't an issue so we didn't pay much attention to prices.

Hi all, we're planning a KI trip this summer for our family (husband, twins age 3, possibly some grandparents). Unfortunately my husband has recently taken a huge pay cut, so we're trying to save as much as possible, but really want to give the kids at least a small vacation, so it's KI and the aquarium. Does anyone have any money saving tips?

We're using hotel points for our hotel stay, and plan to keep some food in the car for snacking, but we'll have to at least eat one meal in the park, and probably some drinks. What meal areas give you the best bang for your buck? Same for drinks... and any other money saving information.

Also, can anyone tell me what days of the week are least busy in teh summer? I'm assuming of course M-Thurs, but is one of those days less hectic than the others?

Thanks so much for your help! We came last year but money wasn't an issue so we didn't pay much attention to prices.

tuesday has been the least crowded day so far this year.Subway prices are reasonable.

Just my personal opinion here, but with your children being so young I don't think Wings Buffet, usually one of the better choices, would be the best. Maybe your best option would be a large pizza, some snacks and drinks in the Festhaus. During the week you'll always find the park to be less busy compared to the weekends, but one thing you always want to check is the park calendar ( http://www.visitkingsisland.com/visit/visit_calendar.cfm ) as sometimes there are special events during the week that can create large crowds at the park. You may also want to check the show schedule, KI has a pretty good variety of shows this season, they've really done a lot to boost their live entertainment. If you are bringing the grandparents, the shows may be a good family option, double check to see what shows are playing that day. Hope you guys have a great time, let us know how it goes!

Guest TombraiderTy

The park usually doesn't not allow water bottles, so feel free to bring one to keep hydrated. Wal-Mart and other stores have small lemonade packets for a single bottle, so buying a few of those will add some good flavor to your drinks.

OK, here is the "sneak" inside me.

Kings Island Inn Resort runs shuttles to and from the park every half hour.

Get a hand stamp, jump on the shuttle like you are staying in the hotel, and eat at their resturant, then catch the shuttle back to the park. That would probably save loads of money.

I doubt that they can check to see if you're staying at the hotel, so anybody can jump on the shuttle.

You could do what i do. I leave the park and go eat at a fast food resturaunt and come back. They let you come back into the parking lot if you leave. Just show them you receipt or your pass and they let you back in. Just remember you can onl do this once per visit. And make sure you dont wash you stamp off your hand.

Guest TombraiderTy
The park usually doesn't not allow water bottles,

Sorry Ty, you can't bring any water bottles into the park. :P

The rule on their website says no outside food or drink, but they rarely enforce it. :P

Get a hand stamp, jump on the shuttle like you are staying in the hotel, and eat at their resturant, then catch the shuttle back to the park. That would probably save loads of money.

I doubt that they can check to see if you're staying at the hotel, so anybody can jump on the shuttle.

I doubt that they would refuse to give you a ride, especially if you are spending money on their premises. Now if you were just trying to get free parking and then catch the shuttle they might say something.

Guest TombraiderTy

Showcase Cinemas is a further walk than you may think. And the closest cross-walk (that I'm aware of) is directly in front of GWL, meaning you'd have to cross there, walk through the parking lot of GWL, enter the trail, walk the trail, and finally end up near the entrance of KI. A tram is much shorter from the Kings Island Inn.

I just wanted to say that I have been to KI at least 5X this year so far. For 2 of those times I have put Danzani Water bottles in my backpack. THey checked my backpack one time during those 2X and saw the water but didn't say anything. I think they know how expensive it is to eat and drink there. I am w/the person who said they leave and go eat....it is a pain in the butt but for saving $$ this helps that McDonald's is just down the street or Wendy's or Taco bell.

i carry a bottle of water in with me everytime and they never say anything about it at the gate.Also, i always bring a big cooler full of bottles of water and lunch meat and leave it in my van. i bring chips and bread and just go out to my van and eat when we get hungry. that is the cheapest way for my family to eat without having to waste time leaving the parking lot.

Guest TombraiderTy

Summed up, the park rarely enforces the no food or drink rule. I think they'll stop you from bring a cooler, but a brown paper bag with a PB&J sandwich? Nah. I always bring a bunch of granola bars and lemonade packets for my water-bottle. And when I do purchase food, it's a $2 coney.

I also always get complimentary waters.

I find it interesting that in an otherwise almost puffy PR-type piece about Kings Island, the author added the last paragraph about saving money:

http://www.wlwt.com/family/16602644/detail.html

(And yes, this article was posted yesterday, without comment about the last paragraph, which I still find rather....stunning, in local media. If it has come to this, the park definitely has a pricing perception problem, at the very least).

I find it interesting that in an otherwise almost puffy PR-type piece about Kings Island, the author added the last paragraph about saving money:

http://www.wlwt.com/family/16602644/detail.html

(And yes, this article was posted yesterday, without comment about the last paragraph, which I still find rather....stunning, in local media. If it has come to this, the park definitely has a pricing perception problem, at the very least).

Oh my gosh!

LOL, I'm wondering how many exclusives that WLWT is gonna be getting from the park in the future.

How funny. "Go to the park but don't think of eating there."

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to do something to help the park with its perception problem on food pricing. We all know that food is reasonably priced at Cedar Fair parks. Mr. Kinzel says so, so it must be true. Then again, when you make more than a million dollars a year, perhaps the Cedar Fair food pricing does seem reasonable. All that money, made a nickel at a time....

You are given a wrist band when you stay at the resort. The shuttle driver checks when you get on. Doesn't have to be on your wrist but if you don't have one, you will not ride.