Is Cedar Fair wanting to buy PKI?

The-Snapper

"No recorded breaking rides I wouldn't say that. PKI is one of the most underrated parks you can come across. I mean we will have 14 coasters this coming season only 2 behind CP."

Last time I checked IJ:ST will be PKIs 13th coaster, unless I'm forgetting something. So next year we'll be three coasters behind Cedar Point.

Pki is very overated our coasters are ok and they are all rough and some what boring. Our flat rides are good but we dont have anyting besides Delerium to scream and shout about. Tomb Raider is ok when its up which is not often.

Boomerang Bay is good except it takes a lifetime to walk from one end of the part to the other. Tas is the only real highlight of the park.

I know a lot of people that post on this web site think Pki is amazing but I challenge you to go out to other parks like Six Flags Great America and Holiday World and Dollywood because those parks are the best. Id trade Pki in for Dollywood anyday! I really would.

" I know a lot of people that post on this web site think Pki is amazing but I challenge you to go out to other parks like Six Flags Great America and Holiday World and Dollywood because those parks are the best. Id trade Pki in for Dollywood anyday! I really would."

Are you kidding me? I mean I'll give you Six Flags Great America the coasters there beat PKI's, no question. But Dollywood and Holiday World are both very small parks, each really only has two coasters. You say that we don't have any flats except Delerium to speak of, I wouldn't say Dollywood has any flats that are special. Now don't get me wrong both Dollywood and Holiday World are nice small amusement parks, but there is no comparing them to PKI.

There is absolutely no way in the bluest of hell that Cedar Fair would ever be able to have the chance to purchase King's Island - PKI is Paramount's nest egg. If Paramount had to sell off a park because of financial problems (which could happen, only if Viacom needed to liquidate assets to pay off debt), they would probably start with their less-producing parks.

Does Cedar Fair WANT to buy PKI? I'm sure if the deal was offered to them, they'd jump on it like a nine year old on a trampoline.

Can they? Ha.

Is it safe to assume that the guy from CF just wanted to come down here and ride some rides..i mean, riding the best rides in the world over and over again I'm sure can get boring..so hes gotta come down here and ride some not so good rides to..maybe lower his blood pressure..or perhaps it'll help him appreciate what he has up there..and i don't know how this post got so off topic...but i believe he was down here, i know because i also saw the liscence plate..i was with my friend who started the post and he showed it to me. i would have no clue why he would be down here, the only thing i could think of is

the rumors of their new huss frisbee or intamin gyro...and i agree it would be weird that just one guy would come down here to check out the ride..or talk about it or whatever he had to do but its Cedar Fair..they are obviously infinitely times different than paramount and maybe thats what they do...hopefully he was down here to look at it though cause i would be excited to go up to Cedar Point again next year and be able to ride a good flat ride..maybe we should send someone up there to check out their coasters..and maybe get a coaster worth paying for..not saying italian job isn't going to be the best ride ever.. mad.gif.

"Does Cedar Fair WANT to buy PKI? I'm sure if the deal was offered to them, they'd jump on it like a nine year old on a trampoline."

No. They would jump on it like R.Kelly on a nine year old.

laugh.gifwink.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gifohmy.gifjerry.gif

"PKI will catch Cedar Point in the coaster count eventually. I think that IJ:ST will be successful and will be followed by another coaster within a year or two."

You are assuming that PKI is going to build another coaster soon and CP is not. I am willing to bet that CP will build at least two before PKI builds one more.

I think the so called "coaster race" is about to be over. I think you are going to see parks moving to be more like PKI in that you won't see many back to back installations of coasters. Look at Cedar Point. They are finally realizing that you don't have to build more coasters to draw more attendance. That is, if it is true that they are going to add a new flat or two for next year.

Also, I agree with an earlier post about PKI having a good collection of coasters, but, for the most part, too many of them are flat out rough. You don't get too much of that at CP.

the thing is, pki and every other park on the face of this planet can start building little kiddy rides and 40 mph themed coasters and thats all find and dandy..that leaves CP way up there in the coaster business..they can continue to build record breaking rides and people will flock to CP(and any other Cf park where that ride might be) and ride those big coasters/rides, whatever...because pki and every other park following pki will have a bunch of family rides and the thrill seekers might not necessarily want to ride those rides...its not that CP is "seeing the light" and has stopped building coasters its just they have two of the biggest rides ever and that will keep people coming for quite some time which leaves them more room and less pressure to keep up the coaster race and focus on some other little things(while in the meantime hopefully preparing/planning for the next big ride out there)

the thing is, pki and every other park on the face of this planet can start building little kiddy rides and 40 mph themed coasters and thats all find and dandy..that leaves CP way up there in the coaster business..they can continue to build record breaking rides and people will flock to CP(and any other Cf park where that ride might be) and ride those big coasters/rides,

I don't think that's true. I think that if parks started dumbing down what the definition of a "coaster" is, they'll destroy the market for them. CP having tall and long coasters is great now, but if a coaster is, by definition, just a highly-themed wild mouse, then asking were the tallest coaster in the world is will be like asking where the biggest log flume is, no one will care.

all i'm saying is..when pki builds rides like italian job, people will come to ride because they don't know anything about it and they are just excited to see pki with something new...but when you build something like kingda ka or ttd you are going to get a hell of a lot more people because something like that has never been built before..its a record breaking ride and people just want to be a part of that to say they've ridden the tallest or fastest coaster in the world..and i agree pki is doing what is best for them..i can't say i'm happy with it, but thats just my opinion.and i'm not saying pki should go to intamin for a 500 ft tall coaster...but something more than IJ...

I've always liked pki and applauded things they did because i've been going to the park for as long as i can remember and i work there and love every minute of it..but i want to know who in their right mind would take out flyers and antique cars for IJ...everyone knows pki has more than enough room to expand..might cost more money now to do so then just taking out a ride, but they have to do it eventually...

Maybe the problem is, if they put IJ in a new place, you might have to create an entire new area adding up to a lot more money to place one ride. Yes, it is nice to have all of that land, but you would have to install several other things for that area. ie, bathrooms, food stalls, walk areas, and other rides so that it doesn't stand alone.

the thing is, pki and every other park on the face of this planet can start building little kiddy rides and 40 mph themed coasters and thats all find and dandy..that leaves CP way up there in the coaster business..they can continue to build record breaking rides and people will flock to CP(and any other Cf park where that ride might be) and ride those big coasters/rides, whatever...because pki and every other park following pki will have a bunch of family rides and the thrill seekers might not necessarily want to ride those rides...its not that CP is "seeing the light" and has stopped building coasters its just they have two of the biggest rides ever and that will keep people coming for quite some time which leaves them more room and less pressure to keep up the coaster race and focus on some other little things(while in the meantime hopefully preparing/planning for the next big ride out there)

The thing is PKI isn't trying to be like CP. They're trying to be more like Universal Studios or Disney World. They want to bring the magic of the movies to the midwest and that's fine with me. I know I might not be in the majority, but I prefer a havily themed no record breaking ride to a ride that may break a record or two but doesn't have any theming at all. Another thing is those huge record breaking coasters like TTD have so far turned out to be unreliable. I don't know about you but I don't want to have to worry about if my favorite ride is going to be running when i goto the park.

They should of placed IJST behind Racer because there is plenty of enough space there and if the added a new area which they really wouldnt have to because they have a nice big slab of concrete where FOF is and they can build the ride behind FOF and have the line that conects to the area where fof is located at. The shouldnt of taken out those two great rides.

They should of placed IJST behind Racer because there is plenty of enough space there and if the added a new area which they really wouldnt have to because they have a nice big slab of concrete where FOF is and they can build the ride behind FOF and have the line that conects to the area where fof is located at. The shouldnt of taken out those two great rides.

I agree!

ok docdude...as far as i know ttd is getting to be a lot more reliable...and if you bring your attention back to pki, take a look at Tomb Raider...that ride has got to be the most unreliable ride i've ever known to exist..yea, it has great theming...but you have the chance of going to pki and that ride being closed down all day...so while ttd is closed down and yea it happens to be a world record breaking ride, our park still has some rediculously unreliable rides...every park has em, and its not fair to say that jus tbecause it breaks a record means its going to be unreliable..and i never said pki was trying to be like cp..i wish they would try and build some nice coasters in the park but i realize that we've found another way to make lots of money and thats obviously by taking out great rides and putting in rides that don't even compare to the previous rides..but if thats what works, then go ahead..i just hope pki doesn't make any more stupid decisions like ones that have been made before

It's not pki that makes these decisions, it's the paramount company itself. Trust me, if pki was to make the decision to rip out the scooters, they most likely wouldnt- because of all of the dedicated fans of the ride. They did what they had to do, because the head honcho somewhere in Viacom wanted the scooters someplace else. We still have Delirium, right? Why gripe? Things could be a whole lot worse... we could be suffering from the same fate as Americana.

There is absolutely no way in the bluest of hell that Cedar Fair would ever be able to have the chance to purchase King's Island - PKI is Paramount's nest egg. If Paramount had to sell off a park because of financial problems (which could happen, only if Viacom needed to liquidate assets to pay off debt), they would probably start with their less-producing parks.

I wouldn't attribute too much importance to Paramount Parks in the overall financial health of Viacom. In last year's annual report, the "Entertainment" division (which includes the parks, movie studios, publishing, and the chain of movie theaters) in total contributed slightly less than 17% of the company's overall revenue. Breaking that down, I'm willing to bet Paramount Parks is responsible for somewhere between 2-4% of Viacom's annual sales. Even a 50% increase (or decrease) in park revenues would have a tiny impact on the company's overall finances. The vast majority (about 70%) of Viacom's revenue comes from broadcasting. CBS just won (and won big) the November sweeps period, so Viacom is sitting pretty right now :-)

Theme parks are a high cost/low margin business. The main benefit for Viacom owning them is PR, and the ability to cross promote their media properties.

Joel

"It's not pki that makes these decisions, it's the paramount company itself. Trust me, if pki was to make the decision to rip out the scooters, they most likely wouldnt- because of all of the dedicated fans of the ride. They did what they had to do, because the head honcho somewhere in Viacom wanted the scooters someplace else."

I highly doubt anyone at the Paramount company knows enough to decide what ride will be installed or removed. That's why they have a team of execs at PKI...to make those decisions. The only thing the Paramount company would do itself is decide how much will be spent in capital investments at all of their parks.

I highly doubt anyone at the Paramount company knows enough to decide what ride will be installed or removed. That's why they have a team of execs at PKI...to make those decisions. The only thing the Paramount company would do itself is decide how much will be spent in capital investments at all of their parks.

Yep, you're exactly right.

Each year at budget time, Viacom divides up the "pie" and each division gets their share and the responsibility to get the best ROI possible. That's the job of the management team running Paramount Parks--to make the business decisons that obtain the best results for their units.

Senior Viacom management isn't going to spend their time micromanaging the details of a business unit that really doesn't contribute that much to the overall health of the company. I'm willing to bet that the "big guys" at Viacom (Redstone, Moonves, and Freston) don't even know what "the flyers" are--let alone that a set of them got moved from one of their parks to another.

Now...bigger decisions, like whether or not to sell a park or parks, are definitely things that would be decided in NYC.

Joel