Halloween Haunt 2008 Speculation

RingMaster

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're bringing back the best show... ever...

Hah....please!

I'm with you there. If it was the best show ever at KI then the standards have really gone down. The idea was kind of cool, though a little confusing. But whoever selected the music really bombed it. If you're going to have a dark show, play dark music. If you're going to have a story, play music that goes with the story. Don't just throw in contemporary pop hits like "Rehab" because they're popular at the time. Once they sang that, I was totally out of it.

I saw a small stage show of A Christmas Carol in Cincinnati a couple years back and they used current music to push the show and it worked because they sang songs that fit the mood and the story. They didn't just throw music out there because the audience might recognize the song. If Dead Awakening could pick better songs or, god forbid, create some original music; it might be worth all the hype it got.

I agree DA was BAD. How can you do a show like that and not include anything by either White Zombie (Living Dead Girl??) or Marilyn Manson or hell even Ozzy for that matter :).

The best show anywhere last year as Monsters of Rock at CP. It was extremely entertaining and well done. I believe there are videos up on Youtube for it.

The best show ever at Kings Island was Celebration. It set the bar very high and I doubt it will ever be topped. The format, the costumes, the music, the dancing, the sets and the singing were all top-notch. They held on to it for two seasons and even released a Vinyl LP (showing my age) of the show, mine's signed by the cast. :)

Todd

PUHLEEZE... Monsters of Rock? While not bad, it was like a watered down version of School of Rock at Kings Island. Plus people talk about having music that goes along with the story line? Monsters of Rock had a small blurb at the beginning about something cryptic (maybe raising the dead...? I can't remember) and then it was just a concert.

Just my two cents.

^ ...so what's your opinion of the Totally 80's and Girls' Night Out shows at Kings Island this year?

Also, 2006's Monster Bash was way better than last year's Dead Awakening in terms of the music being played; at least it had music ABOUT Halloween or centered AROUND a horror/Halloween theme. Not just a bunch of current pop music montaged together and then overlayed with dance routines involving scantily clad men and women....and a bed.

....actually, I take that back, they did have Alice Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare" as the show's theme song, and that was a most excellent cover of it as well. However, when Mr. Cooper is met with both Britney Spears AND Fall Out Boy in the same show, then that show automatically takes a nosedive.

Of course, they also have a bunch of no-talent, emo bands playing alongside Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson in Action Zone (and they only play one Zombie/Manson song in-betwixt seven or eight 'other' songs), so, um, yeah, they TOTALLY have the "play music that goes along with the event/show" part down pat.

Hah....please!

I'm with you there. If it was the best show ever at KI then the standards have really gone down. The idea was kind of cool, though a little confusing. But whoever selected the music really bombed it. If you're going to have a dark show, play dark music. If you're going to have a story, play music that goes with the story. Don't just throw in contemporary pop hits like "Rehab" because they're popular at the time. Once they sang that, I was totally out of it.

I saw a small stage show of A Christmas Carol in Cincinnati a couple years back and they used current music to push the show and it worked because they sang songs that fit the mood and the story. They didn't just throw music out there because the audience might recognize the song. If Dead Awakening could pick better songs or, god forbid, create some original music; it might be worth all the hype it got.

I agree DA was BAD. How can you do a show like that and not include anything by either White Zombie (Living Dead Girl??) or Marilyn Manson or hell even Ozzy for that matter :).

The best show anywhere last year as Monsters of Rock at CP. It was extremely entertaining and well done. I believe there are videos up on Youtube for it.

The best show ever at Kings Island was Celebration. It set the bar very high and I doubt it will ever be topped. The format, the costumes, the music, the dancing, the sets and the singing were all top-notch. They held on to it for two seasons and even released a Vinyl LP (showing my age) of the show, mine's signed by the cast. :)

Todd

PUHLEEZE... Monsters of Rock? While not bad, it was like a watered down version of School of Rock at Kings Island. Plus people talk about having music that goes along with the story line? Monsters of Rock had a small blurb at the beginning about something cryptic (maybe raising the dead...? I can't remember) and then it was just a concert.

Just my two cents.

The music of Monsters of Rock was much better. Plus I was there when they were taping because they were being considered for an Award for the show. (not sure if the won, would love to find out).

Did you ever see Celebration??

Todd

Hah....please!

Todd

Just my two cents.

The music of Monsters of Rock was much better. Plus I was there when they were taping because they were being considered for an Award for the show. (not sure if the won, would love to find out).

Did you ever see Celebration??

Todd

Never saw Celebration, however most people who have been around note it as being one of the best shows that the park has ever offered. I've seen photos of it, but no video.

Every show is taped... and taped often. Sometimes it's for the performers personal use, coaching, tweaking lighting, sending to IAAPA for award consideration and so on, so seeing a video camera at a show shouldn't be something totally uncommon. Almost all shows are sent to one jurisdiction or another to be considered. The classifications (at least for IAAPA) have to do with the amount of cash put into the production, so Monsters of Rock would not directly compete with Illuminations at Disney or Endless Summer on Ice, for example.

Never saw Celebration, however most people who have been around note it as being one of the best shows that the park has ever offered. I've seen photos of it, but no video.

Every show is taped... and taped often. Sometimes it's for the performers personal use, coaching, tweaking lighting, sending to IAAPA for award consideration and so on, so seeing a video camera at a show shouldn't be something totally uncommon. Almost all shows are sent to one jurisdiction or another to be considered. The classifications (at least for IAAPA) have to do with the amount of cash put into the production, so Monsters of Rock would not directly compete with Illuminations at Disney or Endless Summer on Ice, for example.

I really don't think that it's an over estimation to say that Celebration was the best show ever produced by any amusement park. I really can't even see Disney touching it in staging or in it's creativity.

If they re-created the production (even today) it would stand the test of time.

I hope they make the scare zones more like the ones at Cedar Point where you just walk through while people scare you.

That would be tough with ones like Worksite and Cemetery where they have stuff in the paths that people could run into, but they could leave the theming to the sides and have lots of fog and lots of scares with little wait.

I hope they make the scare zones more like the ones at Cedar Point where you just walk through while people scare you.

That would be tough with ones like Worksite and Cemetery where they have stuff in the paths that people could run into, but they could leave the theming to the sides and have lots of fog and lots of scares with little wait.

I SO agree. When visiting Halloweekends at CP last year, I thought that the scare zones were the best part. Total fog and you couldn't see the people until they were almost in your face. And the best part is that you don't have to wait in line everyone just walks through.

I SO agree. When visiting Halloweekends at CP last year, I thought that the scare zones were the best part. Total fog and you couldn't see the people until they were almost in your face. And the best part is that you don't have to wait in line everyone just walks through.

Word. I've been to CP's Halloweekends for 5 straight years and the scare zones have always been the best part. I thought last year's Halloween Haunt scare zones were going to emulate those, until I got in line.

If Dead Awakening was so bad, why is it being added to AT LEAST one other CF park this year?

You make a good point. You can love or hate the show, but it went over well enough to expand it into an unnamed amount of other parks in the portfolio this year.

I think we'll see a haunted house from a theme park out west :)

Ty,

I think your on to something! ;) ... -Hauntguy

Hmm, sounds like you guys might have it in with ki, but maybe, possibly "out west" is reffering to Knotts berry and maybe, hopefully the new maze would be something like that of the doll house? thats just a guess though..........and PS My first post!

If Dead Awakening was so bad, why is it being added to AT LEAST one other CF park this year?

Same reason boy band concerts were so popular. Popularity is not an accurate measure of quality.

You're right. In the movie The Lost Boys, they laughed at a guy for not eating rice saying something like, "Everyone in China eats rice. How could a billion people be wrong?" That makes sense, but I think that we can agree that millions of Nazis were wrong during World War II.

Comparing Dead Awakening to a boy band is oddly a good comparison... actually comparing any park show to a boy band would work. Dead Awakening was popular, so popular that it was expanded outward. Some day it will be cliche' to see Dead Awakening and it'll hit the chopping block like NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys. I didn't listen to either of those groups when they were popular and I still don't... but millions of people truly did enjoy their music. There's nothing wrong with that... and certainly no one can be right or wrong in their opinion of music. If you want to turn the tables as kind of a learning experience, go to your local university and tell the head of the music department about your favorite band and he or she will likely laugh at you for not listening to something classical like Motzart. Whatever music you listen to will likely be passe' in due time but 500 years from now, people will still listen to Motzart. Does this make you wrong for liking something that may be go by the wayside some day? No, not at all.

In the movie The Lost Boys, they laughed at a guy for not eating rice saying something like, "Everyone in China eats rice. How could a billion people be wrong?"

If the rice looked like maggots, I wouldn't eat it either.

I'm not saying Dead Awakening was horrible. It had its moments, but they made some horrible decisions that hopefully they'll rectify this year. I just don't think it warrants all the hype some people give it. But it is just my opinion. I'd never say someone was wrong for liking it.

Man, if this is a haunted hospital then it's going to suck. Haunted hospitals are almost always just big gore fests, which IMO aren't even scary, just bloody! I want to be SCARED during HH, not see some blood splatters! I think I do a better job actually scaring people when I help pass out candy at Halloween time, ( I normally get some people really good), than alot of the scareactors at HH. The Haunts that actually made me jump a few times were Circus of Horrors in 3D, The Cemetary (we musy have caugt it at a good time because it was AWESOME when we went through it), and Psycho Path, everything else was just people screaming at me, or gore. <_<

Man, if this is a haunted hospital then it's going to suck. Haunted hospitals are almost always just big gore fests, which IMO aren't even scary, just bloody! I want to be SCARED during HH, not see some blood splatters! I think I do a better job actually scaring people when I help pass out candy at Halloween time, ( I normally get some people really good), than alot of the scareactors at HH. The Haunts that actually made me jump a few times were Circus of Horrors in 3D, The Cemetary (we musy have caugt it at a good time because it was AWESOME when we went through it), and Psycho Path, everything else was just people screaming at me, or gore. <_<

Sadly, you are correct. Most of the haunted hospitals are all centered around blood and gore, with no actual scares except some props, & maybe some actors.

It doesn't take much to scare me, I almost fainted when I turned a corner in Club Blood and there were bodies hanging from the ceiling, no matter how fake.

See, stuff like that, to me isn't scary at all. It's cheap, and fake IMO. Well, if this is going to be a Haunted Hopital, I'll be glad to know everyone is wasting their time in line for that while I'm in line for better attractions! :lol:

It just depends on the person... different things scare different people. For me, it has to be a QUICK LOUD STARTLE... that'll get me really good. But nothing else really scares me.

As for any more hints and stuff...

TOMARROW I'M DROPPING THE NAME OF A NEW ATTRACTION!!!!

Stay tuned. -Hauntguy

It just depends on the person... different things scare different people. For me, it has to be a QUICK LOUD STARTLE... that'll get me really good. But nothing else really scares me.

As for any more hints and stuff...

TOMARROW I'M DROPPING THE NAME OF A NEW ATTRACTION!!!!

Stay tuned. -Hauntguy

I dont think you will be.

Really anything will get me, which is why I don't like HH.

But when it comes to Roller Coasters I'm fearless. Wierd, I know.