“The Great Wheel”

Excuse me? "That puny excuse of a wheel at Coney doesn`t count"?

I have operated Coney`s Ferris Wheel now for six years. Coney`s Ferris Wheel is an Eli Bridge #5 Ferris Wheel, with a cable drive. This ride has twelve seats on it, and was originally designed in 1912. Coney`s ride was built in 1947 and moved to Coney in 1990. The ride stands 45 feet tall, and features 12 cars.

Coney`s Ferris Wheel is perhaps one of the fastest traditional Ferris Wheel`s you will find. (It runs a lot faster then the cable driven Eli Wheel at Stricker`s Grove). The Ferris Wheel is a classic ride, and a fan favorite among guests at Coney Island. In fact, Coney just replaced all the lights on the Ferris Wheel with a brand new set for this season, replacing the old rusted light casings. Unfortunately, due to the unusually high speed that Coney`s wheel operates at, it is sometimes prone to protein spills (which can be quite disasterous if guests try and lean over so as to avoid getting it on themselves (I`ve witnessed this on more then one occasion), and the same phenomenon occurs on the Rock O Plane.

Well, I have to voice my opinions on my favorite ride at Coney! Besides Coney is a fun family friendly park. If you haven`t been there or haven`t visited recently, I highly recommend it! After all, 'Coney has it!'

I still can`t believe Mr. Postman called Coney`s wheel a "puny excuse for a wheel". Try telling that to all the kids that are scared to ride it, but walk off the ride with smiles wanting to ride it again!

Been there ,ridden it. At 45 ft. its puny dude. You obviously are jaded and are unable to give an unbiased review. Its great for where its at, just like that puny slide. My 6 year old loves those rides. And you should be happy to work for an amusement park, because in my book you have to have a ferris wheel to be a true an amusement park. KI deserves an appropriately proportioned Ferris Wheel to propel itself into the realm of amusement parks and leave behind its failed attempt at becoming a thrill park (see: every coaster trimmed to death, topspin in a garage, oh and don't forget that small 78 MPH albatross near flight deck)

Been there ,ridden it. At 45 ft. its puny dude. You obviously are jaded and are unable to give an unbiased review. Its great for where its at, just like that puny slide. My 6 year old loves those rides. And you should be happy to work for an amusement park, because in my book you have to have a ferris wheel to be a true an amusement park. KI deserves an appropriately proportioned Ferris Wheel to propel itself into the realm of amusement parks and leave behind its failed attempt at becoming a thrill park (see: every coaster trimmed to death, topspin in a garage, oh and don't forget that small 78 MPH albatross near flight deck)

Thrill park? Surely you jest. I thought it was a failed attempt to become a movie park! Besides, what happened to theme park?

Terpy calls it and Coaster delivers, ya gotta love this board. :lol:

We were all sitting back waiting for it to happen. <G>

Thrill park? Surely you jest. I thought it was a failed attempt to become a movie park! Besides, what happened to theme park?

Yes, I don't think that I've ever seen KI called at Thrill Park.

I've certainly heard it referred to as a park with Thrilling Rides - and there certainly is no denying that - but I think that MrPostman is thinking of another park.

Excuse me? "That puny excuse of a wheel at Coney doesn`t count"?

I have operated Coney`s Ferris Wheel now for six years. Coney`s Ferris Wheel is an Eli Bridge #5 Ferris Wheel, with a cable drive. This ride has twelve seats on it, and was originally designed in 1912. Coney`s ride was built in 1947 and moved to Coney in 1990. The ride stands 45 feet tall, and features 12 cars.

Coney`s Ferris Wheel is perhaps one of the fastest traditional Ferris Wheel`s you will find. (It runs a lot faster then the cable driven Eli Wheel at Stricker`s Grove). The Ferris Wheel is a classic ride, and a fan favorite among guests at Coney Island. In fact, Coney just replaced all the lights on the Ferris Wheel with a brand new set for this season, replacing the old rusted light casings. Unfortunately, due to the unusually high speed that Coney`s wheel operates at, it is sometimes prone to protein spills (which can be quite disasterous if guests try and lean over so as to avoid getting it on themselves (I`ve witnessed this on more then one occasion), and the same phenomenon occurs on the Rock O Plane.

Does it go fast enough that you get airtime at the top? Cause if it doesn't I know where one that does is...Tweetsie Railroad Blowing Rock, NC. Scariest Ferris Wheel I have ever been on, I can't believe they operate it that fast.

Been there ,ridden it. At 45 ft. its puny dude.

In your opinion, obviously the General Public sure doesn't seem to think so, "dude."

You obviously are jaded and are unable to give an unbiased review.

Jaded and unbiased, he just pointed out to you that despite its size it's definitely not a "puny" ride and a fan favorite at the park. The size of a ride does not determine if a ride is "puny" or not. I'd rather take the quick, somewhat intense ride on Coney's any day over that snore fest down at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

Its great for where its at, just like that puny slide. My 6 year old loves those rides.

Hahah, I guess Mr.Postman is "too cool for Coney."

And you should be happy to work for an amusement park, because in my book you have to have a ferris wheel to be a true an amusement park.

I don't believe he ever said he wasn't happy to work for the park.

KI deserves an appropriately proportioned Ferris Wheel to propel itself into the realm of amusement parks

Why? While I think Ferris Wheels are neat, gentle rides, they're only good if they offer a decent view. They're a pain to operate and I'm sure that staffing could be spent better somewhere else....maybe where that lake used to be.

and leave behind its failed attempt at becoming a thrill park (see: every coaster trimmed to death, topspin in a garage, oh and don't forget that small 78 MPH albatross near flight deck)

Every coaster is NOT trimmed to death, and the ones that are are no more trimmed than before. Whats wrong with the topspin in a garage? It's a very unique attraction. That 78 M.P.H albatros seems to be running reliably and has a line nearly every visit.

I am of the opinion that KI needsa large, my first post referring to the small wheel at coney was to pre-empt coaster from jumping in with a bunch of annoying and unrelated facts about that tiny wheel and that its only a few miles away blah, blah, blah. I knew he would jump in anyway and it was easier to get him fired up about that piece of crap than I thought. If I can't express opinions about the goings on at KI on a forum dedicated to KI then where should I post?

Mr. Postman, while you may not like to hear all the facts about specific things that I share that is fine. But you certainly do not have to go around these boards writing posts with harsh overtones about me such as your post above (and the name is CoastersRZ, not "coasters"). You clearly do not hold Coney or its Ferris Wheel with as high of a regard as what I do. And you obviously haven`t spent seven years working in the day to day operations of an amusement park to understand some of the intricacies of an amusement park such as what rides the general public enjoys.

By all means you may post about KI in these forums. And Coney`s Ferris Wheel is not a piece of crap. As you have pointed out, at least Coney has a Ferris Wheel. And it provides, as King Maple pointed out, a more thrilling ride as opposed to a sight seeing ride offered by larger Ferris Wheel`s like at Kentucky Kingdom and Cedar Point.

The one thorn in the side of all Ferris Wheels, regardless of their size (and this includes the wheel at Coney, Kentucky Kingdom, and Cedar Point) is capacity. They can only load one or a few cars at a time. And with only a few guests per car, they can take quite a long time to load and unload. This equates to not a high capacity, and can lead to long lines, as opposed to other rides which have higher capacities.

Microburst right on top of the park. That Ferris will was built in the '20s IIRC. Did a lot of damage to the entire park, closed it for over 20 days in June. Even when it reopened most of the rides were still missing their facades.

I am of the opinion that KI needsa large, my first post referring to the small wheel at coney was to pre-empt coaster from jumping in with a bunch of annoying and unrelated facts about that tiny wheel and that its only a few miles away blah, blah, blah. I knew he would jump in anyway and it was easier to get him fired up about that piece of crap than I thought. If I can't express opinions about the goings on at KI on a forum dedicated to KI then where should I post?

How old are you?

Old enough to know better, too young to care.

KI could always upcharge it if capacity is low. :ph34r:

The ribbing I have administered here is all in good fun btw. I always thought that wheel at Coney was pretty fast. :blink:

Hmmm, and probably not of the caliber that should be quoting good country songs.