Eiffel Tower's 50ft Observation Deck

BoddaH1994

I know some of you guys skip over the front page headlines because they get a little news-y for those who visit often, but we have one that you won't want to miss.

KICentral was given a rare glimpse at the 50ft observation deck on the Eiffel Tower! It's been closed since the 80s, but at least you get to take a look at it. :)

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=238

It was closed simply because staffing is very difficult for it. Wouldn't you rather have a 300ft deck open and a 50ft deck closed and send the 4 extra people to help out on the major rides?

To my knowledge, there are no current plans to permanently reopen the 50ft deck.

Guest kwindshawne
It was closed simply because staffing is very difficult for it. Wouldn't you rather have a 300ft deck open and a 50ft deck closed and send the 4 extra people to help out on the major rides?

To my knowledge, there are no current plans to permanently reopen the 50ft deck.

Bigger is not always better...there is a view to be enjoyed from that level. Still high enough to see most of the area, but low enough to where you can watch the happenings around the fountain.

The wiring for those lights just kind of lays on the ground on that deck. It's also kind of dirty up there. I saw a bunch of coins, sunglasses, etc on the deck which clearly had been dropped from the upper decks. If they were ever to reopen it, it would take some work.

The wiring for those lights just kind of lays on the ground on that deck. It's also kind of dirty up there. I saw a bunch of coins, sunglasses, etc on the deck which clearly had been dropped from the upper decks. If they were ever to reopen it, it would take some work.

Any nickles..???? Or have those all been scarfed up by the food vendors?????? :)

And to be technical, it is not a dividend, but a cash distribution.

Isn`t all the loose change at KI collected and given out as scholarship money to seasonal associates at the end of the year?

I wondered what they did with all the change that falls out of people's pockets!!

And to be technical, it is not a dividend, but a cash distribution.

Isn`t all the loose change at KI collected and given out as scholarship money to seasonal associates at the end of the year?

I wondered what they did with all the change that falls out of people's pockets!!

My kids pick it up and fight about who saw it first. LOL!!!!!!

Thanks for showing the pics Ryan, i would love for the 50ft. observation deck to open permanently. Maybe it will be open on July 4th? Or maybe the 275ft. deck will..?

I wouldn't get your hopes up! I was extatic over getting to go to the 275' platform on Tuesday, let alone getting to go to the 50' platform. Don't count on it.

As for staffing, why did it take four employees when one for the tower and one for the elevator works fine for the 265'?

Staffing?

I think the only staff that I've ever seen on the 50ft level were ecology sweeping and emptying trash cans.

How is that hard staffing?

I strongly suspect guest misbehavior had a lot more to do with it than staffing. A lot of stuff got dropped from that level onto the heads of passersby, who were often not amused and, sadly, not seldom injured.

These days, the Americans with Disabilities Act would also have a major impact on how and whether that area could ever again be reopened.

I strongly suspect guest misbehavior had a lot more to do with it than staffing. A lot of stuff got dropped from that level onto the heads of passersby, who were often not amused and, sadly, not seldom injured.

These days, the Americans with Disabilities Act would also have a major impact on how and whether that area could ever again be reopened.

I suspect that ADA would not effect this area. There certainly are many observation decks that are not accessible.

I suspect that ADA would not effect this area. There certainly are many observation decks that are not accessible.

But they weren't just opened to the public...

But they weren't just opened to the public...

The tower has been open since 1972.

The tower has been, but that closed observation deck has been....closed. Re-opening a part of a public facility would require reasonable accommodation...whatever that is.

I would actually like to see someone take that challenge up in court.

I think that it would be interesting to see what the outcome would be.