Eiffel Tower's 50ft Observation Deck

BoddaH1994

And I seriously doubt that Cedar Fair would want to defend that action. The cost would not be small. And just imagine the impacts of a final, adverse ruling, if that were the final result. A similar issue confronts the park over at The International Street Restaurant.

Yes, I agree that CF would not take up the cause, but I really think that someone should.

I certainly can understand putting in regulations on building structures. This principal of imposing such restrictions on already existing structures seems to be very far reaching.

I don't chime in much, but I thought I'd add a thought on this one.

I remember being on the 50-foot level when I was a kid. It was kinda cool. What I remember most is that a lot of young couples would hang out there because it was less crowded than the top levels. Kind of a romantic hang out. I always thought it was a nice hang out location too. That's probably why management had to staff the area with four people (although I think two would suffice).

I was disappointed when they closed the 50-foot level and wish they'd reopen it. I remember someone telling me once that one reason they closed it was the danger posed by objects falling on people from the higher levels. That's sensible enough, but it's not a problem that couldn't be overcome.

If they wanted to reopen the 50-foot level (and I wish they would), two issues would have to be overcome: falling objects and staffing. Here's an idea I would propose. Don't just reopen the 50-foot level, reopen it and put something up there that would attract people. Somthing like a Parisian cafe where people can sit and chill while observing the park and enjoying a meal and a drink. That would create an interest in going up there and it solves the staffiing issue. As for the falling objects issue, they simply have to extend the roof sheeting all the way back to the main vertical support girders that extend skyward to the uppel most levels. that would stop objects from hitting people on the 50-foot level.

Hopefuly, someone in management will take this idea and act on it.

• Like 1

Excellent ideas! The access issue would also have to be resolved, of course. Kings Island is in desperate need of a nice, sit-down, table service restaurant. What better place than on the Tower? And it would, in that regard, resemble yet again the one in Paris (but hopefully not the Paris prices!)

That is an excellent idea! A little sit-down restauraunt/cafe on the 50 foot level! Talk about all the themeing possibilities! Not to mention bringing back some themeing that had something to do with "International Street!" The prices of the food would scare me though :) A $5 coffee and a $7 scone!

As for the access issues, they could install an elevator, even if it's just one of the small wheelchair elevators sometimes found next to outdoor stairs on older buildings, that would service only that deck. They could put it on one side between the stairs and the main shaft, or replace one of the two staircases up to that deck, since there's one on each side.

As for the access issues, they could install an elevator, even if it's just one of the small wheelchair elevators sometimes found next to outdoor stairs on older buildings, that would service only that deck. They could put it on one side between the stairs and the main shaft, or replace one of the two staircases up to that deck, since there's one on each side.

That almost certainly would not satisfy the reasonable accommodation requirement.

In addition, both stairways are required for safe exit during an evacuation.

It was closed simply because staffing is very difficult for it. Wouldn't you rather have a 300ft deck open and a 50ft deck closed and send the 4 extra people to help out on the major rides?

To my knowledge, there are no current plans to permanently reopen the 50ft deck.

Staffing?

I think the only staff that I've ever seen on the 50ft level were ecology sweeping and emptying trash cans.

How is that hard staffing?

I used to be one of the "litter gitters" that had to walk up to the 50' level to sweep. The best part was going up to the top two levels to sweep. I used to just go up and enjoy the view and the breeze. But getting back to the 50' level, that was when I was in my youth (and had a full head of hair) and climbed the stairs. Now that I am older (and wiser) I will pass on going up there!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 12 years later...

Rode the tower yesterday and the elevator attendant mentioned that one of the reasons the 50ft deck is closed was the person who got drunk, leaned over to get hit by the counterweight, and fell.

I always thought that person somehow fell from the top deck :o

For those new here since 2008, you can see some photos here~ 

I would love to see this deck reopened since KI seems to love reverting The Racer back to original form (sans the extra dip at the end :p), and in a way the International Restaurant being public during Winterfest.. not sure how a handicapped entrance would be possible, assuming that wasnt a requirement back when it was opened. 

16 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

calling @KIghostguy who has researched that topic extensively.

I always heard the deck was closed because of ADA issues. The only way to access it is via stairs, and it would be expensive to build a stop for the elevator there, not to mention reduce capacity.

@calakapepe you are correct, John Harter fell from the interior of the 275-foot level. He climbed over the fence on the 50-foot platform onto the inner emergency staircase, which he used to get to the inside of the top.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2008 at 9:50 AM, The Interpreter said:

And I seriously doubt that Cedar Fair would want to defend that action. The cost would not be small. And just imagine the impacts of a final, adverse ruling, if that were the final result. A similar issue confronts the park over at The International Street Restaurant.

Fast forward 13 years... The park added some elevators where there weren't some a couple years ago, and now the International Restaurant is in semi-regular use, including functioning as an actual restaurant for Winterfest.

I'm curious where that leaves things re: the 50-foot platform, if the park were to build some other way of accessing it than the existing elevators. I do like that cafe suggestion that @hans1208 mentioned in 2008.

• Like 1

I always heard the deck was closed because of ADA issues. The only way to access it is via stairs, and it would be expensive to build a stop for the elevator there, not to mention reduce capacity.
[mention=4140]calakapepe[/mention] you are correct, John Harter fell from the interior of the 275-foot level. He climbed over the fence on the 50-foot platform onto the inner emergency staircase, which he used to get to the inside of the top.

The 50ft deck would be excluded from the ADA because it existed before the act. There are multiple reasons. When it rained it became very slick and there where always people slipping and getting injured m, also teens would throw stuff from that level at people down below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

There is an easy solution for the slick floor.  Non slip finishes--usually paint specialized to the surface with sand added in.

I have to admit that I rarely seen the rowdy teens that are so often discussed here and elsewhere that cause "all" the problems at KI.  Loud and rambuncious, but not troublemakers.  And when I was at the age that the 50' level was open, I was a teen and myself and friends would have never considered throwing things at people.  Unfortunately, the few who did, and did/do other things around the park cast the whole lot of teens in a negative.

Remember, the people who provide us with a fun experience are mostly teens and have more responsibility that many 40 years old.  One has even written a best selling book about the history of the park.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

There is an easy solution for the slick floor.  Non slip finishes--usually paint specialized to the surface with sand added in.

I have to admit that I rarely seen the rowdy teens that are so often discussed here and elsewhere that cause "all" the problems at KI.  Loud and rambuncious, but not troublemakers.  And when I was at the age that the 50' level was open, I was a teen and myself and friends would have never considered throwing things at people.  Unfortunately, the few who did, and did/do other things around the park cast the whole lot of teens in a negative.

Remember, the people who provide us with a fun experience are mostly teens and have more responsibility that many 40 years old.  One has even written a best selling book about the history of the park.  

It closed because of many of the reasons listed above. It stayed closed because of staffing. It stayed STAYED closed because of all the wiring up there.  I’ve been up there on both Eiffel Towers within the past 10 years. It’s a meh view and it’s covered in bird poop. You’re not missing much. 

• Like 1

The park should make an early morning tour for the 50th (before park opening), charging something like $39.95, and one of the tour items would be to view from the 50 foot deck (only for those taking the tour, thereby making the park pure profit).  Other tour items could be backstage of Kings Island Theater (some really cool things from the past used to exists in storage), phantom theater, train storage, maybe memorabilia from the past 50 years etc. 

If the rumor is true about a certain coaster being torn down at CP after this season to make room for their new coaster, they could salvage the external ADA elevator lift from that coaster and relocate to KI for the 50’ platform for ADA tour guests only.   One daily small tour group of about 15 people paying $40 over the course of approximately 90 operating days could generate the park approximately $50K of pure profit in honor of the 50th anniversary.

6 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

The park should make an early morning tour for the 50th (before park opening), charging something like $39.95, and one of the tour items would be to view from the 50 foot deck (only for those taking the tour, thereby making the park pure profit).  Other tour items could be backstage of Kings Island Theater (some really cool things from the past used to exists in storage), phantom theater, train storage, maybe memorabilia from the past 50 years etc. 

If the rumor is true about a certain coaster being torn down at CP after this season to make room for their new coaster, they could salvage the external ADA elevator lift from that coaster and relocate to KI for the 50’ platform for ADA tour guests only.   One daily small tour group of about 15 people paying $40 over the course of approximately 90 operating days could generate the park approximately $50K of pure profit in honor of the 50th anniversary.

I'm sure the cost involved of moving the elevator would eat most, if not all of that profit.  And it might have some allure for a year or two, but then fade away.  If they wanted to, they could probably rework on of the current elevators to do the same thing and market it really well as ultra exclusive, it might have more staying power.