X-Treme Skyflyer

Jasper

Has anyone rode this? I rode this on my last visit and it was amazing. The feeling when you first pull that ripcord is an amazing sensation that you cannot get anywhere else. I strongly reccomend this ride to anyone who has not rode it and it is worth even 20 bucks. I am not sure about The Sling Shot but i am sure it cannot top this.

Ask if you can do it on your back. Much better experience in my opinion. When I used to be a carney we did some events with a guy that owned a model Skyflier and he would let us go for free (because we let his people do our stuff for free). What's best is he would let us ride anyway we wanted to: On your back, feet first, head down (feet around the cables).

Ask if you can do it on your back. Much better experience in my opinion. When I used to be a carney we did some events with a guy that owned a model Skyflier and he would let us go for free (because we let his people do our stuff for free). What's best is he would let us ride anyway we wanted to: On your back, feet first, head down (feet around the cables).

That is like a death wish waiting to happen

That is why being a carney has its perks. I am sure you could find some place that would let you do it on your back, probably not KI, though. I know the model guys would let you if you paid them a little extra.

That is SO not going to happen in a theme park. It shouldn't happen anywhere. It is a total violation of the manufacturer's recommendations. No paying rider has ever died on a Skycoaster. The company would like to keep it that way.

He said he got to do it for free...... So that record was never in jeopardy. :)

That is like a death wish waiting to happen

You are just as secure on your back and feet first as on your chest head first. The feet around the cables thing is pretty stupid though. I skipped that one, but I saw it done a few times by the ride ops. They offered to let me do it, but I declined.

Not to mention that rides are designed with a certain design position for the rider to safely experience the forces. Riding in a position that is not recommended can submit ones body to higher or unusual forces which could lead to injuries. There is a reason why manufacturer recommendations are followed. Because they are the ones who designed the ride, they know what is a safe riding position. And in the State of Ohio at least, amusement parks and carnival operators must abide by manufacturer rules. Not to mention, I`m sure their insurance company would be outraged if they found out that they were operating a ride contrary to how it was intended to be operated.

If I witnessed a carnival that was not following posted rules and regulations I would be hesitant to ride any attractions at that venue. What other rules could they not be following? Are they not following all of their maintenance rules as well?

He didn't make the model skycoaster himself, not sure who did make it. He had two rigs, never saw any others on the road.

EDIT: I'll leave it at this, I did some REALLY stupid stuff in my carneying days, I don't consider riding skycoasters on my back and feet first one of them. I personally think that it added a lot to the experience and I felt completely secure the whole time. The ride I did it on was always inspected before the events started and I could always watch the inspections because they were always setup next to us. They operated the ride all over the place, including state fairs, and they ride operators and owner always would ride in unusual ways to drum up business.

Edited by Zorba

I am positively sure that no matter how much money you payed Sky Fun 1 they would not let you ride any other way than the one you were reccomended to. Could you imagine if you were injured or even killed how much of a bad reputation not to mention a huge lawsuit that would get them.

Back to the topic. That first feeling after the ripcord is pulled and your Strait Jacket goes loose for a little time it feels like ou are going to free fall all the way to the ground and i loved it. Before i got on i was a bit nervous but when we started going back up the tower all my jitters went away and i actually enjoyed it a lot.

So is Slingshot a more thrilling experience?

It says on there that there are 300 ft. towers but you only free fall 120ft? So is it really 300?

Yes, it's really 300 feet tall...and you drop almost to the ground from where they pull you up to...but the freefall is 120 feet...which is quite a bit more than the ones at Kings Island.

I should add that in the early days there were tiny snakes swimming around in the lake below you...and you can see Walt Disney World Resort quite well from up there.

Terpy, whose dropped in on Oldtown quite a few times...

If you enjoy the X-Treme Skyflyer, I highly suggest you go bungee jumping! I still get a bit nervous even recalling the event. I was standing only 65 ft up, and the ride op simply said, alright your ready to go! Then I asked the question, "so do I just like walk off the edge?" He simply said "ugh yea." I looked straight out, and started walking, and then an amazing feeling of a quick free fall bestowed my body. Once I got unhooked, I went and bought an other ticket to do it again. The second time i dove head first off that platform. Now that was scary! I hope to go skydiving one day; I think that would be the ultimate rush!

That is SO not going to happen in a theme park. It shouldn't happen anywhere. It is a total violation of the manufacturer's recommendations. No paying rider has ever died on a Skycoaster. The company would like to keep it that way.

Yes someone has died on a skycoaster,the cable snapped she fell straight to the ground and of course,died.I remeber reading it on Rideaccidents.com but I cant find it now.

Yes someone has died on a skycoaster,the cable snapped she fell straight to the ground and of course,died.I remeber reading it on Rideaccidents.com but I cant find it now.

Read what I wrote again...I most decidedly did NOT say no one has died on a Skycoaster...I did say no paying rider ever has...and that's true.