King Cobra Fatality Rumor

dare-to-fly

Saturday, July 7, 1984 - A woman was flung from the Rail Blazer stand-up roller coaster ride at Six Flags Over Mid-America theme park in Eureka, Missouri. The woman was whipped from the train and fell 20 feet to her death. Park officials claimed that the woman fainted, causing her to fall out. A passenger standing next to the woman during her fall said that the woman had not fainted, but was simply "flipped out" of the ride.

Rail Blazer trains did not have any kind of bicycle seat like stand-up trains have now. They consisted of a shoulder harness and a padded square that pressed up against your knees to keep them straight.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig496.htm?picture=10

The restraints were supposedly just like this train from Worlds of Fun, which didn't last very long either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear I remember someone being either killed or hurt on KC. There was a part of the track that sat lower to the ground that made a sharp lean to the left then went right back up. It derailed on that lean. I believe that part was then taken out and just made straight.

I swear I remember someone being either killed or hurt on KC. There was a part of the track that sat lower to the ground that made a sharp lean to the left then went right back up. It derailed on that lean. I believe that part was then taken out and just made straight.

Please read the previous three pages. That is not asking too much.

There was supposed to be, some where around 6'4" I believe but don't quote me. Not enforced vary well, imagine that. I also thought that the minimum was way too low, take a look at the picture, some of the people only their heads are in the harness.

^^Also the belts are meant to be secondary restraint just like on most all coasters with belts. I have been on EXT (once and only once) the belt did not do much.

I'm trying to find some pictures of the King Cobra when it derailed. They were in the Enquirer at the time so I know they're out there somewhere. As far as anyone being injured or killed on the KC. I know of no on-ride accidents other than the aforementioned derailing in the helix, but I do recall a ride employee being hit in the head by the train while sweeping underneath the station. I don't recall the extent of the injury, but due to the way the TOGO design has the guide wheels riding along the outside of the track, I can see how somebody too close could be struck.

• 3 weeks later...
the person that was killed at kings dominion's togo was called shock wave.

No, the person that died on that coaster was called Daniel Watkins. The coaster was, and is, called Shockwave.

IIRC it was an Asian guy who was thrown from Shockwave just as the ride was going into it's final curve before heading to the brakerun,he was showing off & had somehow gotten out of his restraint hence the reason for the belts being added when the ride was cleared to re-open.

Interestingly enough the coaster that Shockwave replaced,Galaxi also had a fatality when a 13 year old was thrown from the ride which is why it was removed...I guess that site is cursed or something for two deaths to occur on coasters built on the same footprint.

That could be the case to the deaths, but i do know that togo coasters are prone to derailing and poor safety restraints. The expo land coaster that derailed was togo and shockwave is togo.

Yeah but the Expoland coaster was never inspected...not even once in the 15 years since it was built so the park was at fault for that.

I was at KI the day King Cobra partially derailed. I don't remember there being serious injuries, and certainly not a death.

Strangely enough, I was also there the night the 2 people died in separate instances on Flight Commander and in the pond behind the Shrimp Shack. Strang that I was there on these several days.

I was also in line for The Bat once (next to get on) when the train pulled out of the station started up the hill, and came rolling back down quickly. The emergency brakes caught it at the bottom, but alot of people got whiplash and some other minor injuries. Needless to say, I got out of line and didn't wait around to see if they were going to continue. LOL.

I guess I'm bad luck.

As far as the accident at Six Flags St. Louis goes (stand up restraints):

The ride (Rail Blazer) was converted from one half of the River King Mine Train- there would not have been an apparent concern to overly restrain the passengers as it was a 'tame' layout with gentle drops and curves found on most mine train rides. The maximum height differential was less than 50ft. from structure to ground.

The inherent problem was that because of the mine-train mentality, the restraints were under-engineered for larger body types, and without FULLY securing taller/or larger people, that a directional change after the lift hill, allowed one rider to fall to her death.

I was at KI the day King Cobra partially derailed. I don't remember there being serious injuries, and certainly not a death.

Strangely enough, I was also there the night the 2 people died in separate instances on Flight Commander and in the pond behind the Shrimp Shack. Strang that I was there on these several days.

I was also in line for The Bat once (next to get on) when the train pulled out of the station started up the hill, and came rolling back down quickly. The emergency brakes caught it at the bottom, but alot of people got whiplash and some other minor injuries. Needless to say, I got out of line and didn't wait around to see if they were going to continue. LOL.

I guess I'm bad luck.

I'm pretty sure only one person died on Flight Commander. The Bat story doesn't sound likely either. The coaster would have had anti-rollbacks and unless they failed, the train wouldn't come back into the station quickly, if at all.

On a seperate note, I almost fell out of flight commander. I was just over the height limit and a scrawny kid. When we rolled the plane my legs came free and where hanging over my head. Was not a cool experience. Very happy the day they tore it down.

I guess I'm bad luck.

I'm pretty sure only one person died on Flight Commander. The Bat story doesn't sound likely either. The coaster would have had anti-rollbacks and unless they failed, the train wouldn't come back into the station quickly, if at all.

I think that was meant as 1 death at Flight Commander and 1 at the pond = 2 instances.

I guess I'm bad luck.

Were you also there on July 9th. 2006 in line for Son of Beast? Or on the Eiffel Tower when Johny died? :lol:

^^King Cobra was awesome!! (which I re-affirmed this summer after riding Canada's Wonderland's version!)

I though Flight Commander sucked due to the very tight OTSR's (but I am a tall person).

And The Bat....well, my first ever KI visit was in 1986 as a 4 year-old!! But I did think Screamin' Demon was pretty cool!