Death at SFOG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we are rushing to judgment, but there are many other questions, most important of which right now is the same one that we asked ourselves after the tiger incident at the San Fran zoo...an access question.

How on EARTH did the deceased person get to where he was? (or in the tiger incident, how did the tiger get to where it was?)

Yes, it was stupid to do what it appears that he did.

But how on earth could he get there?

And apparently, if news reports are correct (and early ones often are not), there were several people who hopped a fence into the restricted area. I wonder if or how severely the person on the ride was. Last time this happened (on Top Gun at Great America in California), the person on the ride suffered a broken leg, if memory serves. And what a thing to have to live with...one minute you are happily riding a ride, then your feet come in contact with someone who is not supposed to be where they are. How truly awful.

And apparently, if news reports are correct (and early ones often are not), there were several people who hopped a fence into the restricted area. I wonder if or how severely the person on the ride was. Last time this happened (on Top Gun at Great America in California), the person on the ride suffered a broken leg, if memory serves. And what a thing to have to live with...one minute you are happily riding a ride, then your feet come in contact with someone who is not supposed to be where they are. How truly awful.

The ajc.com article said no one on the ride was injured.

The ajc.com article said no one on the ride was injured.

That is before the following get the story:

Turn This Wreck Into A Check

Motlick Is Handling Them.... Settle That One Fast

For The People

This makes me sick to my stomach. Many reports say a six-foot fence. About the same size as those around the brake run of Top Thrill Dragster. What makes me sick is that this happened at all, and the possible decapitation...ick.

For Interpreter, if they did climb the fence, and there were signs, what do you want, Barbed Wire??

It matters not what I want, it's what a jury or a reasonable person standard would want....and I have a sickening feeling we may find out what that is. Yes, this kid, if news reports are right, voluntarily put himself in harm's way...but an attorney will argue he should not have been able so to do.

As much as I feel sorry for the family and the kid, I must say that he is to blame (if it's true that he was in a restricted area that was posted as such).

I worked at PKI for a few years - and I have come across many people - from kids to adults - that tried to gain access to ride areas, most often to get something that fell off during the ride. Signs are posted EVERYWHERE on fences and the rules are clearly stated on the maps. If the kid got killed being where he shouldn't have been, then it's his fault. If the family sues the park and wins, it's another dumb lawsuit that is making out coutry look bad. It would be the same type of suit as the idiot lady who sued McD's when she spilled coffee on her self "Well I didn't know it would be hot coffee!". The family will try everything, I'm sure, to blam the park. They should just be told to buzz off. No jury (or judge) in their right mind would ever give the family anything if a kid was in a restricted area when they shouldn't have been.

I also have seen some people here at ki try to get into restricted areas,on Invertigo a kid kept throwing his basketball over the fence and climbing out to get it.But also,I'm not trying to be mean,but how dumb do you have to be to climb over the fence while the ride is on its way over to where you are. Is there something that blocked his sight??

Six Flags Statement on Teen's Decapitation

Last Edited: Saturday, 28 Jun 2008, 5:33 PM EDT

Created: Saturday, 28 Jun 2008, 5:33 PM EDT

Six Flags Over Georgia

A 17-year old park visitor scaled two six-foot fences that secured the Batman roller coaster and was struck and killed by the coaster at approximately 2 p.m. today. We do not know why this person was intent on gaining access to this restricted area, as multiple signs clearly state: Danger Zone / Do Not Enter / Authorized Personnel Only.

Some witnesses have stated that the individual was trying to retrieve something he had lost. Others reported that he was trying to touch the ride. This is merely speculation at this point, and we are working with park visitors and local police to learn more. No guests on the ride were injured. The visitor’s family was at the park with him, and Six Flags representatives are currently with the family. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Your thinking of the man who jumped a fence because he lost his hat which was around 10 years ago. About 5 or 6 years ago a park employee (grounds keeper) wandered into the restricted area under Batman at SFOG (very same ride this incident occurred on) and was struck in the head by the leg of a park guest as the train went past.

They are now saying there will be an autopsy.

Why on earth do they need to do that? It's not as if we don't know what killed him.

Then again, maybe to find out if he were intoxicated or high?

The latest reports said he was trying to see if he could sneek out of the park, then back in and along the way he jumped up to touch a passing train when...

Shaggy

Your thinking of the man who jumped a fence because he lost his hat which was around 10 years ago. About 5 or 6 years ago a park employee (grounds keeper) wandered into the restricted area under Batman at SFOG (very same ride this incident occurred on) and was struck in the head by the leg of a park guest as the train went past.

They're actually saying this incident occurred in the same place that the park employee was killed.

Well, with all due respect, that kid died as a result of his own stupidity. I know that sounds blunt and insensitive, but the truth is the truth. Like the girl in Oxford, Ohio last year who got drunk out of her mind and wandered in front of a train......... Although there may be debate and discussion about who is responsible legally, the bottom line is that earthly law is always trumped by the "law of survival" (which is a quote from Benchley's Jaws II book about someone who was scuba diving drunk).........

With that said, my thoughts and prayers are with that family. I lost a wife, but I still counld never imagine losing a child. God Bless his parents!!!!!!!!!!!!