Death at SFOG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the clan on another forum that nominated this kid for a Darwin award.

I've noticed a greater and greater lack of common sense in our population. For example, it used to be common sense to know not to walk out in front of traffic or you might be hit by a car. These days when you go to an amusement park...or Wal-Mart...how often do you have idiots that walk right out in front of you without even looking? The amount of people that completely disregard park policies is always amazing to me too...i.e.line jumping, smoking only in designated areas, remaining out of restricted areas (I've seen it too), or even just banging on things or intentionally trying to pull on the handrails just to see if they can break them (and then there's always the sitting, standing, and climbing on the handrails speech).

Here is a theory I've heard a while back. People used to be taught the morals and values by their parents usually while in the house, playing, or around the family dinner table. Where are the kids these days, around the TV or video games. Not to insult those things when used in moderation, but the theory stated that these are the first generations of kids being taught values from TV, or from friends when they go out to eat. (How often do you see an adult eating with a bunch of teenagers at a fast food place?)

Sorry to get on a tangent, but...it sort of fit in here.

Speaking of being sorry, I don't feel sorry for him either, and I have a few choice words for him, but I certainly feel sorry for the family and friends. How do you suppose they'll blame this on the park?

This makes me think. We, as the guests, place an enormous amount of trust in our fellow guests not to do something completely insane like this. Once you're strapped into that ride, "what will be, will be." You really have no control over what happens from that point. This is truly an unfortunate incident and I feel for the boy's family. That being said, the blame lies squarely on this boy's decision to climb not one but two fences, ignore posted warnings, and approach a roller coaster while it was coming toward him. I will be following this story intently.

Even though Six Flags was not at fault, this may leave a negative taste in people's mouths. Just tragic.

This makes me think. We, as the guests, place an enormous amount of trust in our fellow guests not to do something completely insane like this. Once you're strapped into that ride, "what will be, will be." You really have no control over what happens from that point. This is truly an unfortunate incident and I feel for the boy's family. That being said, the blame lies squarely on this boy's decision to climb not one but two fences, ignore posted warnings, and approach a roller coaster while it was coming toward him. I will be following this story intently.

Definitely true. Who's to say someone won't do a lot of things. Anything can happen. I'm waiting for someone to try to throw a coin from the SOB que at Flight Deck. I've seen them throw them everywhere else back there. And there certainly are plenty of areas for people to throw things at other rides from the midway. i.e.Vortex, Racer, Backlot, Reptar, etc. You have to hope that people wouldn't be so incredibly stupid, but since I've seen them bang on the TV guards (or whatever you call them) while in line for rides, try to hit signs by jumping, pushing and pulling on the queue rails, and others, you never know what they're going to do. If everyone would just be descent and follow park policies we'd be a lot better off. Heck, if that were the case, we'd be back to the days of lap bars only on the coasters.

Even though Six Flags was not at fault, this may leave a negative taste in people's mouths. Just tragic.

Especially after the incident at KK last year.

AOL has now revised the photo to have the right coaster. Which brings up one of my pet peeves. It was the Gary Story Six Flags administration that changed an early Premier Parks policy. Premier was the company that bought Six Flags (and had been previously a real estate company named Tierco). Premier Parks had been VERY proud that it was wise enough not to name all its parks with the chain moniker (just like Cedar Fair has not called it Cedar Fair's Park Name...like Cedar Fair's Kings Island). In fact, they removed the Paramount's from the former CBS parks, taking a step in the other direction.

Just like what happened after the Louisville incident, many, many people in places from New Jersey to California will know that this most recent tragedy happened at their local Six Flags. To make things worse, since there are so many Batman rides, they will be certain of it and it happened on that Batman, right there. Heck, AOL has already pulled a stock Dark Knight photo and used it to illustrate the trains in Georgia.

Naming different things the same has advantages, but it also has huge disadvantages. What is bad and happens at one affects them all.

AOL has now revised the photo to have the right coaster. Which brings up one of my pet peeves. It was the Gary Story Six Flags administration that changed an early Premier Parks policy. Premier was the company that bought Six Flags (and had been previously a real estate company named Tierco). Premier Parks had been VERY proud that it was wise enough not to name all its parks with the chain moniker (just like Cedar Fair has not called it Cedar Fair's Park Name...like Cedar Fair's Kings Island). In fact, they removed the Paramount's from the former CBS parks, taking a step in the other direction.

Just like what happened after the Louisville incident, many, many people in places from New Jersey to California will know that this most recent tragedy happened at their local Six Flags. To make things worse, since there are so many Batman rides, they will be certain of it and it happened on that Batman, right there. Heck, AOL has already pulled a stock Dark Knight photo and used it to illustrate the trains in Georgia.

Naming different things the same has advantages, but it also has huge disadvantages. What is bad and happens at one affects them all.

I always thought that would be the big issue. Even at Kings Island today, I overheard someone saying that someone was killed at "Six Flags" the other person asked where it was and he said he thought it was in Louisville, so for many it might as well have happened there.

And many times every day, we trust others to do things like obey red lights and stop signs. One violation of those kinds of rules could end a life in nothing flat.

Just reminds us that life itself is precious and we should appreciate every day we are given...

"He didn't do anything wrong," Ferguson said. "He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Wrong place at the wrong time huh?

If he would have adhered to the warnings, signs and fences he would still be alive. His own apathy got him killed.

Yeah, on the radio they had mentioned that the family was going to be hiring a private investigator to investigate the incident.

And many times every day, we trust others to do things like obey red lights and stop signs. One violation of those kinds of rules could end a life in nothing flat.

Just reminds us that life itself is precious and we should appreciate every day we are given...

You may trust people to stop at red lights but if I am at a light and it turns green I still always look for those gas smashing red light runners. It has saved me a few times from getting T- Boned.

Sarcastic venting on...

"It's the park's fault the fence was not made of 14' double-reinforced tungsten, and the sign was not flashing neon with multilingual audio. Furthermore, the park should have taken the responsible step of placing an armed bouncer every ten feet along the ride's perimeter, to ensure innocent guests don't get accidentally sucked into the danger area." <_< It's always the park's fault. Hayall Yeah to Tort Reform!

Sarcastic venting off.

Just venting. I'm saddened for the tragedy; his family's in my prayers.

Its like that tekephone game. I have gotten bookoos of calls and texts and stuf from my frined who are like have you heard about that kid that died and they are all different stories. I am going to KI tommorrow and the people i am going with are like if you lose your hat do not go get it we will buy you a new one. This story is truly ad.

This makes me sick to my stomach. Many reports say a six-foot fence. About the same size as those around the brake run of Top Thrill Dragster. What makes me sick is that this happened at all, and the possible decapitation...ick.

For Interpreter, if they did climb the fence, and there were signs, what do you want, Barbed Wire??

The question is not delivered to me, but I would like to see a sign that reads, CAUTION, DANGER, DON'T EVEN THINK OF JUMPING THIS FENCE!, Barbed Wire, Cactus Plants, Poison Ivy, Nettles, poison oak, thorn bushes, and a 2nd smaller fence to jump after jumping the 1st one. But since this is too expensive, cruel and unusual, I would like to settle for just a little bit of common sense. But obviously that wasn't present at the time now, was it?

Guest kwindshawne

Common sense and lack of responsibility for ones actions is a thing of the past in today's society. I see people climbing over turnstyles at the park all the time, he shouldn't have done it, and paid the ultimate price. If you are jumping fences at an amusement park, then you are breaking the law and putting yourself in harms way, pure and simple. He had to have known he was doing wrong by climbing the fence, but at his age, probably thought he was invincible.

I have seen cruel signs that make fun of stupidity before. I LOVE THEM!!!! Just go to The Wilds in Ohio....

1.) They have a sign which reads, "DON'T EVEN THINK OF SMOKING IN THIS AREA!"

2.) They also have "DANGER!, CAUTION!, PLEASE DO NOT LEAN OVER RAILS, YOU COULD FALL IN AND GET ATTACKED OR EATEN BY WILD ANIMALS. THIS COULD MAKE THE ANIMALS SICK. THANK YOU!"

3.) SILVER SPRINGS in Ocala, Florida has signs that actually read "THINK" and "USE COMMON SENSE." You also find these signs in the back areas of reptile houses.

Some people might get offended by these types of signs. I personally think that they are hilarious.

You have to love the Georgia Department of Labor, who deemed that the existing fences needed to provide a more "more effective barrier to their access". Now I have never been to the park. But if someone has to climb over TWO fences that are reportedly around six feet tall, I would say that is a pretty effect barrier for most people. However, it was clearly, as this case demonstrates, not a totally effective barrier.

“Attorney Lamar Flatt thinks warning signs and fences placed near the ride weren’t enough to prevent this tragic death …”

Ahhhh....

And now you see the crazyness that parks have to deal with.

Ever wonder why prices are so high? This is an example. It's really not about the death of a teen that made very, very poor decisions or decision. It's all about the mighty dollar and what ya can get.

The question is not delivered to me, but I would like to see a sign that reads, CAUTION, DANGER, DON'T EVEN THINK OF JUMPING THIS FENCE!, Barbed Wire, Cactus Plants, Poison Ivy, Nettles, poison oak, thorn bushes, and a 2nd smaller fence to jump after jumping the 1st one. But since this is too expensive, cruel and unusual, I would like to settle for just a little bit of common sense. But obviously that wasn't present at the time now, was it?

Don't forget about a moat.