CLOSED: Star Trek: The Experience

Is this really all that surprising of an announcement? I mean, after Cedar Fair quickly removed all of the Paramount theming and names from their properties, this was the last association from the old owners (save for the Nickelodeon stuff), that still had a strong tie to Paramount.

Yes, to me it was surprising. I always assumed that Paramount Parks ran that facility for Hilton and the studio under a management contract, and made money doing so. It surprises me, if that is/was the case, that Cedar Fair would give up that money. Assuming, of course, that: ( a ) it was profitable, and ( b ) it was Cedar Fair that decided to end the relationship.

Both of those things we will likely never know though. And considering that ST:TE resided in a hotel, one would have to assume that they leased the space it was in. Could it be that the Hilton wanted to capitalize on some of their retail space with a higher profit margin attraction?

And I have to wonder, why was CBS involved with the negotiations? I can understand Paramount/Viacom, but CBS? When Viacom/CBS split wasn`t the slower growth side (CBS) separate from the movie studios and cable networks? Only Paramount Television remains under the control of CBS. So why were they involved with negotiations on the future of the Star Trek: The Experience?

Star Trek was originally produced by DesiLu Studios, and aired on NBC during the run of the original series. ST became a Paramount property after Paramount Studios purchased DesiLu. When the Viacom/CBS split occurred, the old Desilu properties (as well as the other Paramount TV holdings) became part of CBS.

Desi Arnaz was an absolute genius...not only did he perfect the 3-camera format for sitcoms that's still in use today, he pretty much invented the concept of the rerun in syndication. (Not really related to the topic I realize, but I've always been a big admirer of Desi :) )

Star Trek was originally produced by DesiLu Studios, and aired on NBC during the run of the original series. ST became a Paramount property after Paramount Studios purchased DesiLu. When the Viacom/CBS split occurred, the old Desilu properties (as well as the other Paramount TV holdings) became part of CBS.

Desi Arnaz was an absolute genius...not only did he perfect the 3-camera setup for sitcoms that's still in use today, he pretty much invented the concept of the rerun in syndication. (Not really related to the topic I realize, but I've always been a big admirer of Desi :) )

Could not agree more.

It's really sad that it was closing since it was such a well-done attraction. It proved that given the right budget and interest, Paramount Parks really could develop an attraction on par with Universal or Busch. (Not like the "fantabulous, incredible, Hollywoodized [insert ride type here] ever to be built in the history of the world" press releases that used to come out before the parks' new attractions, only to have something considerably less actually be delivered the next year... Sorry-- I'm still waiting for the "lush tropical vegetation" in Boomerang Bay ;) )

Since CF actually owns the hardware in the attraction, I wonder what they'll do with it? Could it be installed at an existing park? Obviously, the movie and simulator are heavily tied to the ST license, but I wonder if the hardware itself could be repurposed in some way?

It's really sad that it was closing since it was such a well-done attraction. It proved that given the right budget and interest, Paramount Parks really could develop an attraction on par with Universal or Busch. (Not like the "fantabulous, incredible, Hollywoodized [insert ride type here] ever to be built in the history of the world" press releases that used to come out before the parks' new attractions, only to have something considerably less actually be delivered the next year... Sorry-- I'm still waiting for the "lush tropical vegetation" in Boomerang Bay ;) )

Since CF actually owns the hardware in the attraction, I wonder what they'll do with it? Could it be installed at an existing park? Obviously, the movie and simulator are heavily tied to the ST license, but I wonder if the hardware itself could be repurposed in some way?

"the most exciting addition in the history of Kings Island” said Don Helbig, Public Relations Area Manager for Kings Island.

Sounds like someone has been reading from the Paramount Public Relations Guide.

This doesn't surprise me. I have never visited Star Trek: The Experience but I hate to hear that it is closing Sept. 1, 2008. I feel sorry for the people who live in Las Vegas, NV and visit it regularly. Maybe CBS/Paramount will find different management to run it (Paramount) and put it elsewhere in the USA. Does Cedar Fair own the rides or are they CBS' property? When will a press release come from CF?

Cstrwomann, I really, really wish you'd actually read threads before you post in them....and check back for answers to your questions when you ask them. I am not even sure why I am bothering, but in post 11 of this very thread, our own jzarley said is part:

...Since CF actually owns the hardware in the attraction, I wonder what they'll do with it? Could it be installed at an existing park? Obviously, the movie and simulator are heavily tied to the ST license, but I wonder if the hardware itself could be repurposed in some way?

I really don't see any way you could have missed this if you read anything in the thread before posting....

Sigh.

Cstrwomann, I really, really wish you'd actually read threads before you post in them....and check back for answers to your questions when you ask them. I am not even sure why I am bothering, but in post 11 of this very thread, our own jzarley said is part:

...Since CF actually owns the hardware in the attraction, I wonder what they'll do with it? Could it be installed at an existing park? Obviously, the movie and simulator are heavily tied to the ST license, but I wonder if the hardware itself could be repurposed in some way?

I really don't see any way you could have missed this if you read anything in the thread before posting....

Sigh.

Does anyone know if CF is going to continue to operate Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas?

I wonder who actually owns the hardware inside the attraction?

<G>

We went to ST:TE on September 9th, 2001 (for some reason I'm able to remember that exact date). Being a Trekkie, I enjoyed it (no, I'm not the kind that dresses up and goes to conventions. I like the shows and movies, I don't have to live it). Even my wife, a non-Trekkie who I tried several times to convert but was never able to, had a good time. She even enjoyed the museum portion, which I thought she wouldn't (of course I had to stop and read almost everything, which she got a little annoyed with towards the end). The pre-show of the ride was well done, the ride itself was pretty good (I think Star Tours at Disney Studios is better as a ride). At that time they didn't have the Borg ride, just the Klingon one.

We had lunch at Quark's, and my wife just had to talk to a Klingon during our lunch, who was very rude, which is typical of his species. :lol: The food was pretty good as I remember, but the Klingon insisted that we had ordered the wrong type of dish. I then picked up a few items in the store, including a nice polo shirt with the ST:TE logo.

I worked at PKI at the time, and my wife had a season pass. We were a little upset when we were not able to get in free, but they did give us 1/2 off the admission price which I felt was a fair compromise. I don't remember if ST:TE admission was a perk of the PP SP back then or not.

I can't really say I'm surprised this is closing though, considering the decline in the ST franchise over the past few years. For a while I felt that they had too much ST on tv, and I was actually kind of glad when Enterprise was cancelled. At that time I had felt for a few years that there needed to be a break in the ST universe, after which the franchise could go through a revitalization. Well, we are now in that break, and I'm looking forward to the new J.J. Abrams ST movie on May 8th, 2009. I'll be at the theater opening day, just don't expect to see me in a Starfleet uniform!

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

http://www.ncc-1701.com/

^ bet it was a local convention of some sort. The true "Tekkers" (they don't like the term "Trekkies" <g>) are pretty hard core.

I think it would be a great gig for an actor to get cast in a ST series...after your series ends you can spend the rest of your life working the convention circuit and making personal appearances (just ask Denise Crosby, Marina Sirtis, and George Takei) ;) It's also easy for ST cast members to get cast in all of those "future of space travel" documentaries on the National Geographic and Discover Channels. All in all, not a bad life :D

^ bet it was a local convention of some sort. The true "Tekkers" (they don't like the term "Trekkies" <g>) are pretty hard core.

I think it would be a great gig for an actor to get cast in a ST series...after your series ends you can spend the rest of your life working the convention circuit and making personal appearances (just ask Denise Crosby, Marina Sirtis, and George Takei) ;) It's also easy for ST cast members to get cast in all of those "future of space travel" documentaries on the National Geographic and Discover Channels. All in all, not a bad life :D

I loved the Denise Crosby character!!!!

This was a pretty good attraction, but I am shocked that it stayed open this long. I left PKI in 2002, and there were already talks that the attraction would close soon. The part where you are "beamed" aboard the Enterprise was just great, and the motion simulator was first class. This was an expensive attraction though. The retail had a very high COG as almost all product was branded with the ST:TE logo, made just for the Vegas location. We always went to the attraction when we were in Vegas for M.A.G.I.C., and had drinks at Quarks Bar, on the house of course since we were part of the Paramount family. Great attraction, but interest in Star Trek has declined over the years, so it was only a matter of time before the doors were closed for good. I would recommend to anyone that has not been to the experience to do it before the close for good!

^ Totally agree...if you have not gone, but have the opportunity before it closes--definitely do it.

I also wondered how many repeat visitors it attracted? I went three (or four?) times with different groups of people, but we enthusiasts aren't the norm for determining those types of things. I have a feeling that it was one of those attractions that most people did one time on a trip to Vegas, but didn't usually repeat on subsequent trips. (I don't know that for a fact, but just a theory...)

And, while it was extremely well done and themed, it was really still just two rides.

I'll definitely miss Quark's...I always had a great time there, and after a few "Warp Core Breach" drinks no one was feeling any pain! ;)

I loved the Denise Crosby character!!!!

Yeah, that Tasha Yar was one tough chick! Her character actually only survived the first season on TNG. (Of course, she came back later in an alternative timeline story; as well as played her own half-Romulan daughter as a result of that alternate timeline...)

Her funeral on TNG was a great scene, where a holadeck recreation of her said goodbye to each of the other characters, and she referred to Jean Luc Picard has having "the heart of an explorer; and the soul of a poet."

I'm starting to sound like one of those "trekkers", huh? ;) Using XGatorHead's definition, I too proclaim to be a "Trekkie" as opposed to a "Trekker" :D

Even if people only went to the attraction once and it had little to no repeat business, as long as it was attracting the new visitors, it would do fine. Las Vegas gets plenty of new visitors...and many never return.

I'm sure that's the case, particularly for convention visitors. However, Vegas does do a huge repeat visitor business...in 2007 only 19% of visitors said that this was their first trip, as opposed to the 81% who were on a repeat trip:

http://www.visitlasvegas.com/getfile/VPS-2....pdf?fileID=107

That same report also said that only 22% did some "paid entertainment activity" other than shows. (As opposed to the 63% who saw shows, and the 84% who gambled.)

Maybe the theme park model of entertainment just doesn't work as well in Vegas as other markets? (Again, I'm just thinking out loud...)

Well, there is the fact that the MGM amusement park did close. And the theme park at New York, New York may not be the success many think it is. Perhaps the family entertainment doesn't work as well in Las Vegas as less family friendly matter does. After all, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Usually.

Even if people only went to the attraction once and it had little to no repeat business, as long as it was attracting the new visitors, it would do fine. Las Vegas gets plenty of new visitors...and many never return.

I'm sure that's the case, particularly for convention visitors. However, Vegas does do a huge repeat visitor business...in 2007 only 19% of visitors said that this was their first trip, as opposed to the 81% who were on a repeat trip:

http://www.visitlasvegas.com/getfile/VPS-2....pdf?fileID=107

That same report also said that only 22% did some "paid entertainment activity" other than shows. (As opposed to the 63% who saw shows, and the 84% who gambled.)

Maybe the theme park model of entertainment just doesn't work as well in Vegas as other markets? (Again, I'm just thinking out loud...)

I have a buddy that goes out to Vegas at least 3 or 4 times a year. My step mother also goes out several times a year. (In fact, she is often comped for her travel by various resorts.)

This doesn't surprise me. I have never visited Star Trek: The Experience but I hate to hear that it is closing Sept. 1, 2008. I feel sorry for the people who live in Las Vegas, NV and visit it regularly. Maybe CBS/Paramount will find different management to run it (Paramount) and put it elsewhere in the USA. Does Cedar Fair own the rides or are they CBS' property? When will a press release come from CF?

They could give advance notice on ONE SINGLE ride but they couldn't let anyone know they were closing Geauga Lake. Great job Cedar Fair!!!!!!!!!