I-Team Investigates KI Foreign Worker Program?

XGatorHead 8904

I looked around and haven't seen this discussed anywhere yet. I've been seeing ads on Channel 9 about their I-Team investigation airing this evening at 6:00 (they usually also cover the I-Team reports again on their 11:00 newscast). They're saying it's about a work program at a major tri-state attraction, and some of the workers in that program do not feel they are being treated well. During the ad they show a Litter Gitter, the reporter walking with a man who looks like it may be Mr. Helbig (it's shown very briefly so I can't confirm that it is), and 3 guys who are/were presumably involved in the work program.

In the ad, one of the guys says that he feels "like we are in prison". My wife saw this ad last night, and she is very sure that the guy who made that remark is none other than Jorge, the ride op who gave me an attitude at Racer: see the lowlights section of Trip #6 here.

I know years ago when the program first started, they housed the workers at the UC dorms, and the workers had to take a bus to and from the park. I'm not sure if they still do this or not, but I can kind of see how it would suck to be in a strange city with no transportation other than the Cincinnati Metro. What other complaints they may have we'll have to tune in and find out. I'm sure after it airs they'll have it posted on their website, http://www.wcpo.com/, for those of you not in the area.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did CF re-implement the International Program? I know the final years of Paramount they scrapped the program due to the high turn over that they received from the participants and housing not being available at UC.

I was thinking that they did away with it too, that's why I put the question mark in the topic name. But in the ad they also showed the outside of a building that looks like a dorm, and if I remember correctly, a hallway with a bunch of doors in it that looks to me like a dorm hallway.

Did CF re-implement the International Program?

I know that CP still has their International Program.

What that means for KI, I have no idea. But I can assume that housing would be KI's biggest hurdle. If there is no housing for the international students, it would be very difficult to have the program.

I'm surprised to see someone feeling like they're "in prison" while here in the land of opportunity. I don't know the whole story, so I'll watch with interest this afternoon. I hope the fella can one day achieve his dreams for success, and can look back on his present situation as just one of the many steps along his path towards prosperity.

But I can assume that housing would be KI's biggest hurdle. If there is no housing for the international students, it would be very difficult to have the program.

And that's why it was a mistake to get rid of the camping ground!!!!!

If they were "housed" there, while they wouldn't still have transportation, you're merely a hop, skip, and a walk away from the Fields-Ertel and Mason-Montgomery Rds' retail areas.....now THAT'S what I call amenities!!! ;)

I'm surprised to see someone feeling like they're "in prison" while here in the land of opportunity.

There are many things we don't know.

Does KI even have the international program at all?

What kind of specifics does a work visa have?

If the international worker wants to quit KI, is there any kind of repurcussion? (i.e. do they have to pay their own way home?, do they owe money for the room they have been staying in? etc.)

If some of those things would prevent them from leaving the park, I can see why they would feel like a prisoner.

Granted, it would be by their own decision, but people can feel trapped if the options are limited.

I'm surprised to see someone feeling like they're "in prison" while here in the land of opportunity. I don't know the whole story, so I'll watch with interest this afternoon. I hope the fella can one day achieve his dreams for success, and can look back on his present situation as just one of the many steps along his path towards prosperity.

Human Trafficing

YOu guys that say, So they hate there jobs...OMG!!!

Um if you watched it they have an air matress and ...nothing. One person had to use a box for a table and a nightstand. Its horrid, they can't go anywhere except for the park and home. I feel sorry for them, maybey if you watched the whole story you would not be so quck to say..."They hate ther jobs so what...."

Not to mention that their presence allows wages paid to others to be lower....if the labor supply were less, wages would have to increase to meet demand for labor. Or so my old high school economics teacher used to say...On the other hand, if labor costs were more, park pricing would also increase, or so she also used to say.

The funny things is that they said, The housing we supplied for them is what we could find last minute, they could not send warning fast enough. To me if you have them sign a contract and something else that says, Hey, you get TV, Radio, internet cable access, they should get it.!

They have to pay 1200 for a room a month, when some one else they interviews(Does not work at park) pays only 876(I forgot the real number but it is close in the 800's) this is what makes America look like a bunch of Jackasses.

There are many things we don't know.

Does KI even have the international program at all?

What kind of specifics does a work visa have?

If the international worker wants to quit KI, is there any kind of repurcussion? (i.e. do they have to pay their own way home?, do they owe money for the room they have been staying in? etc.)

If some of those things would prevent them from leaving the park, I can see why they would feel like a prisoner.

Granted, it would be by their own decision, but people can feel trapped if the options are limited.

Most likely they will have to pay there own way.

Did CF re-implement the International Program? I know the final years of Paramount they scrapped the program due to the high turn over that they received from the participants and housing not being available at UC.

Are you sure Paramount did away with it? I thought they only stopped using internationals in the rides department, but that the program still existed elsewhere throughout the park.

Um if you watched it they have an air matress and ...nothing. One person had to use a box for a table and a nightstand. Its horrid, they can't go anywhere except for the park and home. I feel sorry for them, maybey if you watched the whole story you would not be so quck to say..."They hate ther jobs so what...."

While I agree a few of the posters here were too quick to judge the situation, you however have jumped to your own conclusions as well. It was the agency, whose specific name was not really mentioned, who promised such amenities, not the park. '

Also, while I am not blaming anyone in particular as we don't have all the facts and it is unclear who is at fault, if anyone at all, but how much more stupid can local Cincinnati news get? I mean really, the I-team crap makes things so over the top and dramatic than they really need to be, not to mention the way they edit things to make them seem really worse than they are or not as they appear. For example the advertisement and the repeated showing of "we feel like we are in prison." Yet, they just briefly mention that KI was responsible for providing transportation to and from work and are free to come and go from their housing as they please, yet Channel 9 makes it seems as if KI is keeping them against their will. I also loved the "sources" they investigate. They compared the employees apartment rent to, and I quote this from the broadcast, "another woman living in the same complex" who has signifigantly less rent, or at least claimed to. Who knows what that woman's situation is or if she is even telling the truth. Why wouldn't they ask a real source like the complex manager or landlord, and if they fail to comment, then say so, don't just edit things so you crappy 2 minute broadcast can look like 2nd rate investigative reporting. Who knows, KI may be at fault, maybe its this agency who set up the students, and its sad these kids are not enjoying their time here, but the 2nd rate local news "troubleshooter" crap was taken to a whole new level of trash tv tonight.]

Channel 5 is about the only local news station I can find tolerable any more, their traffic report in the mornings before I work is great and up to date, and they don't constantly fill their broadcasts with fluff.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?...2a-f8b5321418d1

While some of the story does seem disturbing, the first thing it reminded me of is living in a college dorm for the first 2 years before I got an apartment.

Don Helbig says he'd never heard any of these complaints until the I-Team brought them to his attention.

This is the part that got me. If these kids had it so bad, and I'm not saying they don't, then how could they not speak up and say something? What would be the worst that happened? They get fired and have to go back home? All things considered, that may have been their best choice.

They mentioned the kids had tried to contact the woman who hired them from the parks Human Resources department and yielded no positive results, however that would not surprise me. Even when my kids worked at the park in the mid 90's Human Resources was always a joke, I wonder if it still is.

I have mixed feelings about the interview. I do not begin to know how a VISA works unless it is on a small plastic card that I use to buy things with BUT if they are that unhappy with their housing then why can't they go live someplace else. If they are paying that much money surely they could find another place to live. When I worked at the park they would schedule you to carpool with someone if you requested it (this was Paramount but I can't see Cedar Fair not doing the same).

I know Don Helbig is not their supervisor and can't comment but if they do wind up firing someone because they talked to 9 then I feel that would be VERY wrong. Granted they should have bugged the heck out of HR until they found someone who would listen. I guess they have got to experience one thing America is known for... how big corporations generally only care about the money and not the employees. KI did nothing until they were caught with their pants down so to speak. I hope both parties can learn from this and some good can come out of it.

Guest kwindshawne

While I agree a few of the posters here were too quick to judge the situation, you however have jumped to your own conclusions as well. It was the agency, whose specific name was not really mentioned, who promised such amenities, not the park. '

Also, while I am not blaming anyone in particular as we don't have all the facts and it is unclear who is at fault, if anyone at all, but how much more stupid can local Cincinnati news get? I mean really, the I-team crap makes things so over the top and dramatic than they really need to be, not to mention the way they edit things to make them seem really worse than they are or not as they appear. For example the advertisement and the repeated showing of "we feel like we are in prison." Yet, they just briefly mention that KI was responsible for providing transportation to and from work and are free to come and go from their housing as they please, yet Channel 9 makes it seems as if KI is keeping them against their will. I also loved the "sources" they investigate. They compared the employees apartment rent to, and I quote this from the broadcast, "another woman living in the same complex" who has signifigantly less rent, or at least claimed to. Who knows what that woman's situation is or if she is even telling the truth. Why wouldn't they ask a real source like the complex manager or landlord, and if they fail to comment, then say so, don't just edit things so you crappy 2 minute broadcast can look like 2nd rate investigative reporting. Who knows, KI may be at fault, maybe its this agency who set up the students, and its sad these kids are not enjoying their time here, but the 2nd rate local news "troubleshooter" crap was taken to a whole new level of trash tv tonight.]

Channel 5 is about the only local news station I can find tolerable any more, their traffic report in the mornings before I work is great and up to date, and they don't constantly fill their broadcasts with fluff.

If this is true, shame on all of us. I know from looking at apartments in west chester, there were a lot that were higher than I would have paid, but for the most upscale ones, I didn't see 1200 month for any of them.

As far as complaining to your sponsor or whatever they are called-imagine this. In the world we live in today, would you really want to honk off the country who is allowing you to stay here? I'm not sure I would complain much either out of fear for my safety. The kids should have internet-for the only reason that they can keep in touch with their loved ones at a reasonable cost. I am guessing none of them drive, and in addition to having a way to work, it is important to allow them time to play. Most of us on here are old enough to handle ourselves, but what about the ones who come over here and this is their first time being away on their own? This should be done better. I am ashamed if this is the truth.

I just found the video-how appalling. They pay $1200 month for that????

Why can't they go somewhere else? That's explained in the article. Kings Island sponsored them. If they leave Kings Island, they can and most likely will be deported. And, according to the story, it is to Kings Island they pay their rent...

Not go somewhere else to work but live someplace else. If they are on a work Visa and KI is sponsoring them I think it would be wrong for KI to REQUIRE them to live where they tell them just so they could alegedly make money from their rent. IF that is what is going on then KI should be ASHAMED!

Guest kwindshawne
Why can't they go somewhere else? That's explained in the article. Kings Island sponsored them. If they leave Kings Island, they can and most likely will be deported. And, according to the story, it is to Kings Island they pay their rent...

Not go somewhere else to work but live someplace else. If they are on a work Visa and KI is sponsoring them I think it would be wrong for KI to REQUIRE them to live where they tell them just so they could alegedly make money from their rent. IF that is what is going on then KI should be ASHAMED!

Tell me, what do you think the long term repercussions would be with foreign relations with experiences like this???? The image we are supposed to project of the park should be projected to our foreign guests as well. I would want their experience to be the best it could be, not this.

Quotes without comment:

The students signed job offers with Kings Island's Human Resources manager. The offer required them to sign a housing agreement with a hostel, "less than a mile", "within walking distance" to the Park, near public transportation. There would be "free bicycles available to borrow" and "assistance with finding second jobs" to help pay back their expenses for coming here.

The Kings Island Travel and Employment Information packet even boasts that the housing includes "computer/internet" and "telephone" access.

Engineering student Miguel says it sounded like a great experience. But he and the others say they found none of those promises once they arrived. No bikes, internet or phone at home....

....The students who spoke to us know they took a chance. King's Island sponsored their visas. If they lose their jobs, they could be deported.

When the I-Team asked if the students would be fired for making their living conditions public, Helbig said, "That's an answer that I can't give you. I'm not their immediate supervisor. I'm not the person that would be in charge of the associates here."

But he added that the park would, "look into the situation and try to help them and make it be the situation that they were looking to have when they came over." ...

The last time I checked, Kings Island provided at will employment, which can be terminated by either employer or employee at any time. In my experience with the international students, they claimed to live in the UC dorms and take the bus to and from the park and there was little complaint if any. I have little sympathy for these students as they could take the express bus from the park into downtown. Then they can take in all the sights of glamorous Cincinnati they can stomach. We shouldn't forget either, there are these yellow cars called taxi's that can transport groups of humans from point a to point b for a nominal charge.

I certainly hope Im not the only one who found the irony in the empty, bare apartments in west chester, home of IKEA (you may have heard of them, I hear they have inexpensive furniture). The situation is virtually the same as that in Sandusky, only the internationals work even more. I sincerely doubt they work 6-7 double shifts a week leaving them no time to 'play'...

Its news stories like this, from the quality unbiased I-Team, that will effectively cease the international work program. You'll note Coney Island, Great Wolf, The Beach nor Coco Key offer these programs. I would be interested to know how much gas money that nice air conditioned van takes each trip to and from KI. I wish i could take a shuttle to work. I guess they only eat at Kings Island as they have no transportation and are living in apartments in the middle of no where so how could they possibly get any food to the apartment?!

Maybe im out on a limb, but I doubt those students repeatedly demanded to have the living situation "issues" addressed... In any event, those empoyees, regardless of nationality, attended the KI orientation and they are all adults and understand what the park expects of them. Going to the news, is not exactly one of those suggested venues for finding a resolution. Considering the large amount of negative press this is going to create, I would expect some form of disciplinary action taken. If that means to terminate the employment and get the J1 yanked, then so be it. No pity from me...

Oh, and interpreter, thanks for pointing out that double post - added a lot to the topic...

The last time I checked, Kings Island provided at will employment, which can be terminated by either employer or employee at any time. In my experience with the international students, they claimed to live in the UC dorms and take the bus to and from the park and there was little complaint if any. I have little sympathy for these students as they could take the express bus from the park into downtown.

Are you referring to the bus that goes from Kings Island down to Cincinnati? Sure they could take that, but as was shown in the segment there is no public transportation that runs from the area they live in to Cincinnati.

Then they can take in all the sights of glamorous Cincinnati they can stomach. We shouldn't forget either, there are these yellow cars called taxi's that can transport groups of humans from point a to point b for a nominal charge.

Certainly they could, but as was pointed out, they don't have a lot of money to throw around and this isn't New York City where there are numerous taxis on every street, they'd have to shell out quite a bit (from a minimum wage workers perspective) to rent a cab from a private company.

I certainly hope Im not the only one who found the irony in the empty, bare apartments in west chester, home of IKEA (you may have heard of them, I hear they have inexpensive furniture). The situation is virtually the same as that in Sandusky, only the internationals work even more. I sincerely doubt they work 6-7 double shifts a week leaving them no time to 'play'...

Its news stories like this, from the quality unbiased I-Team, that will effectively cease the international work program. You'll note Coney Island, Great Wolf, The Beach nor Coco Key offer these programs. I would be interested to know how much gas money that nice air conditioned van takes each trip to and from KI. I wish i could take a shuttle to work. I guess they only eat at Kings Island as they have no transportation and are living in apartments in the middle of no where so how could they possibly get any food to the apartment?!

I completely agree, it seems the I-Team and and these students should be doing some investigating into the agency that set up these arrangmenets for them, not necessarily Kings Island, but as was pointed out in the video . . . the kids tried to seek help from those that hired them at the park only to reach no avail and gain little help from the Human Resources department (or so they claimed).

Maybe im out on a limb, but I doubt those students repeatedly demanded to have the living situation "issues" addressed... In any event, those empoyees, regardless of nationality, attended the KI orientation and they are all adults and understand what the park expects of them. Going to the news, is not exactly one of those suggested venues for finding a resolution. Considering the large amount of negative press this is going to create, I would expect some form of disciplinary action taken. If that means to terminate the employment and get the J1 yanked, then so be it. No pity from me...

I agree, this probably wasn't the best soluttion to the problem and it seems the I-Team should focus its awesome investigating efforts elsewhere as it appears someone else is responsible for how things turned out here.

Oh, and interpreter, thanks for pointing out that double post - added a lot to the topic...

And so did this comment.