I-Team Investigates KI Foreign Worker Program?

XGatorHead 8904

I'm sorry Boddah, but regardless of whether King Island can or has the right to fire these employees, it simply would not be the right thing to do. The WCPO story, whether fully accurate or not, portrays KI in a not so positive light. If the park were now to terminate these employees for speaking out about the housing situation, it would only make matters worse for KI. The employees stated in the story that attempts were made to speak to the HR person coordinating the housing program, and were unsuccessful. Clearly they felt KI was being unresponsive to the situation. If the facts of the story are so inaccurate, the park spokesperson should have refuted the claims. Instead he looked uncomfortable while making excuses for the situation. As far as the i-team "choosing" to focus on the apartment building under construction, well if any of the exchange workers were being housed in that building, then it certainly was relevant to show that. Interesting how it took the i-team story to get any action from the park, sending the HR person over to check on the exchange workers only after the the i-team was contacted. Had the park taken the time to do this earlier in the season, there would porbably never have been an i-team report to begin with.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry Boddah, but regardless of whether King Island can or has the right to fire these employees, it simply would not be the right thing to do. The WCPO story, whether fully accurate or not, portrays KI in a not so positive light. If the park were now to terminate these employees for speaking out about the housing situation, it would only make matters worse for KI. The employees stated in the story that attempts were made to speak to the HR person coordinating the housing program, and were unsuccessful. Clearly they felt KI was being unresponsive to the situation. If the facts of the story are so inaccurate, the park spokesperson should have refuted the claims. Instead he looked uncomfortable while making excuses for the situation. As far as the i-team "choosing" to focus on the apartment building under construction, well if any of the exchange workers were being housed in that building, then it certainly was relevant to show that. Interesting how it took the i-team story to get any action from the park, sending the HR person over to check on the exchange workers only after the the i-team was contacted. Had the park taken the time to do this earlier in the season, there would porbably never have been an i-team report to begin with.

I'm going to have to agree. They tried to get help but no one would help them. So they did something they knew would get attention. Now, just because its in a handbook KI should fire them? Do you really think it is in the best interest of the park to do that? Hell no. They will be tripping over themselves to do the right thing now that the glare of the media is on them. Was the story exaggerated? Quite possibly. But there must have been some validity to it. The employees should be doing their jobs and doing them well but the park also MUST live up to exactly whatever it is that was promised to them. Case closed. Then everyone is happy and no one is in the wrong. No matter my love of KI, I am not so blinded that I don't think its possible that they MAY have screwed up on this one. We shall see.

The employees stated in the story that attempts were made to speak to the HR person coordinating the housing program, and were unsuccessful.

The employees also stated that they were surprised that there was no furniture supplied to them and that there was no internet access.

Yet, they were not to be supplied furniture and they do have internet access.

So how can the students try and claim that they tried so hard to contact an HR person when other issues they brought up are false?

I also find it hard to believe that these students, from another country, were able to get in touch with the local media so easily, but found difficulty in speaking with an HR representative that is located on the same property that they work.

If I was in their position, and I felt slighted with my living conditions, I would have been beating doors down until the issues were resolved.

Brown,

I totally agree... The I-Team offers nothing more than sensationalist claims. Its clear these students did not explore all options before "contacting" the media...

Oh and "just becuase its in the Kings Island handbook"... is exactly the reason why their employment should be terminated immediately. Those handbooks are printed and drilled into the employees heads for reasons just like this.

The employees stated in the story that attempts were made to speak to the HR person coordinating the housing program, and were unsuccessful.

The employees also stated that they were surprised that there was no furniture supplied to them and that there was no internet access.

So how can the students try and claim that they tried so hard to contact an HR person when other issues they brought up are false?

I also find it hard to believe that these students, from another country, were able to get in touch with the local media so easily, but found difficulty in speaking with an HR representative that is located on the same property that they work.

If I was in their position, and I felt slighted with my living conditions, I would have been beating doors down until the issues were resolved.

THANK YOU.

Those were my thoughts exactly. How can they claim to have no phone, internet, TV, etc yet still be able to contact the I-Team, or even know what the I-Team is or what it does?

I'm in the process of painting my room right now and have stuff thrown everywhere. Think WCPO would run that story? The conditions are terrible!

It's really depressing to see that news in Cincinnati has not changed.

I remember when I left the city, the majority of every news cast revolved around city council and city race relations.

I was astounded to find that newscasts in other cities actually focused on .... NEWS!

...I'm in the process of painting my room right now and have stuff thrown everywhere. Think WCPO would run that story? The conditions are terrible!

Be careful what you wish for. I bet anything there are numerous safety violations present in your room...and you could be found in violation of building codes. Do you have a building permit? Then again, you may not want to answer that....

...I'm in the process of painting my room right now and have stuff thrown everywhere. Think WCPO would run that story? The conditions are terrible!

Be careful what you wish for. I bet anything there are numerous safety violations present in your room...and you could be found in violation of building codes. Do you have a building permit? Then again, you may not want to answer that....

And even more important......

If it looks too bad ......

The park may want to house internationals there.

<G>

Sorry Ryan I am going to call BullS*hit

They put em up in Woodbridge on the lake. I lived next to that complex for 3 years. They have been "remodeled" more times than I can count. They have also burnt to the ground a few times. They are DUMPS. Not to mention the drug dealing that goes down in the parking lot or the fact that the fire department is there atleast 3-4 times a week cause the fire alarm "malfunctions". When we moved out of the complex next door they had to have patrol the complex with a mounted patrol because of how much crime there is. There had been 4 rapes and a like 20 shootings. It hasn't gotten better. Its called "the Ghetto of West Chester" for a reason. Here's what people have to say about the place http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/OH-We...n-the-Lake.html oh and 1200 is laughable. Rent was only 450 for a 3br.

The 1 broken PC in the "business center" does not make for internets.

Kings Island does treat most of there seasonals like crap. Yeah its "great" money at 16 but ya know working a double for 8 days then having 1 day off is awful fun. Min wage ain't great money. Getting in touch with HR is a joke so its not that far off. When you "lose" a application that in a database that's really funny. Were busy but leave a message and we can get back to ya.Kings Island pulls the same crap on the local kids. Advertise how fun it is and the "perks" These kids sound like they are coming from universities to learn skills to help there careers but instead are given pretty much nothing and told to go get another 10,000 gallon drum of skyline. At least Disney tries to put you in a position to learn something.

2nd METRO DOESN'T RUN IN WEST CHESTER. They have a park and ride on Tylersville and that's it. You can see a grand total of a Wal-mart a shell gas station a speedway and a Wendy's. Your right next to I-75 and there is no sidewalks. No wonder they can't go anywhere. As for the cabs its around $2.00 Per mile per person in some cases plus any other fees they come up with.

As for firing them. Yes firing whistle blowers isn't a smart move and can be the cause of pesky pesky investigations. I am sure the park will find another reason to have them "quit on their own" by doing what all managers in low wage crap jobs do cut your hours. If they only work 5hrs a week they can't afford to live on that. That's manager tatic 101.

As for getting in touch with the I-team. Perhaps someone called on their behalf? Or hey maybe they happened by a TV with it on. Still the park is in the wrong here and could set an example of how to do a international program well. Don didn't seem to handle this well either. It seemed that when its not a fluff story for the park its total shock to the PR and marketing department. Theres no good way to spin this for them. We got em a bus and some of those free reds tickets that get showered onto the park. Oh wait its July summers almost half over for most of these kids. This group is pretty much going to hate the rest of there time even if the park makes good on this they are still going to feel jipped. I know I would if I spent 3000k to come here and get stuck where they did.

Guest kwindshawne

Sorry, I have to agree. I wouldn't let my dog live in a place like that. Sounds like their safety could be in question too-with the doors that won't lock, and the roaches. I don't know, this could have been handled much better than it was.

As far as HR-go in there sometime. It takes forever to get anything accomplished-and I usually avoid it unless the issue just can't wait. Word of advice-don't even try to go there on your break..you'll be late!!!

First off sensationalism sells and you don’t haft to go far from this board to see that first hand, an example of this; in the trip reports section if a member writes a story and titles it negatively they tend to get a lot of hits and often times turns into a flame thread with a variety of personal attacks such as this Trip repot called “worst trip to the park I ever had…” with close to 95,000 views.

While other more positive and well thought-out reports get few hits and discussions and luckily this forum has many of those.

As far as Don Helbig goes I think he did his job well and answered the he was suppose to and did not answer questions that he had no answer too or authority to do. It is the I-Teams job to try to throw off the parties they are investigating and they know how to make them look bad with camera angels and questions they know can not be answered. So as for Don please look at the whole picture and tenure and not just one event.

If Kings Island is in deed correct in upholding their part of the deal and think this story may harm them in the publics eye, then they should possibly hire an outside public relations firm to get their side of the story out by doing some of the following. Take out a large Ad or airtime to but up facts of the situation and to show the discrepancies the I-team left out. Announce they have hired a third party liaison to communicate with the foreign workers and the park so both parties can come to a better understanding in working together. Basically get the word out to the public on Kings Islands approach to the situation.

Many times one person can fire a group up and get others to follow their lead (as I witnessed while standing in The Beast line last night after the fireworks) right or wrong which spoils the fun for others. They may have a point but choose confutation ways of doing it, If that is the case then that person/persons should be evaluated if they are a distraction for the over all good. If so then appropriate measures should be taken what ever that may be. Otherwise others may use similar tactics to get their point/way across.

While there may be some exaggeration on the part of the internationals, I have no doubts that the living conditions suck as well. I was fairly good friends with one of them several seasons back, the accomodations suck. I know here in Orlando, with SeaWorld, they are put up in hotel suites at the Westgate. The places aren't bad at all, right on I-Drive within walking distance of tons of restaurants and shops, free shuttles to SeaWorld and Universal (which their SeaWorld I.D gets them into free). They aren't locked down to the hotel. DegenRider brings up a valid point though....most of these kids have come with the hopes of *learning* something that will be beneficial to their career. This is how it operates within SeaWorld at least, the internationals are placed within the Lead Developement Program and certainly paid more than minimum wage. Oh well...

- Todd

THANK YOU.

Those were my thoughts exactly. How can they claim to have no phone, internet, TV, etc yet still be able to contact the I-Team, or even know what the I-Team is or what it does?

I'm in the process of painting my room right now and have stuff thrown everywhere. Think WCPO would run that story? The conditions are terrible!

I know you are trying to be funny, but there is a big difference between you painting the room in your own home, and the internationals living in crappy housing with construction going on that is beyond their control. Maybe you should walk in their shoes for the summer...give up your place, transportation, and access to the internet (no more KI Central for you all summer!), and I bet we hear a different tune. Not trying to pick a fight, but no matter how you spin this, KI looks like the bad guy on this one, and I would suspect as someone myself who worked at the park for many and know how things fall through the cracks that KI knows they dropped the ball on this one.

I think this is the point where the topic has been beaten and we're going to have to agree to disagree. There is blame to be placed, whats up for debate is how much, if any applies to the internationals/Kings Island/work agency. Unfortunately all the information we have been discussing is a media outlets version of one side of the story.

Titanic Mess, what did you do at the park and what exactly do you mean by things slipped through the cracks? Just curious as to delve more into your insight . . .

I was a fulltime associate in resale. KI was never great with the details IMO. With the park only open for 130-ish days a year, things had to happen very quickly. Associate activities and recruiting drives were often put together without much thought. Sometimes it worked out, other times it did not. I am not saying this happened all the time, but often enough to notice. Just from my personal experiences in dealing with HR, I could easily believe the story that the internationals told. While not as extreme as the story being told now, there were similar complaints from internationals back when they were at the dorms at UC years ago. I am not saying that everyone in HR is bad, as a mater of fact there are great people that work in HR. Just offering an opinion on the situation based on my years at the park.

Cedar Fair isn't exactly Lockheed and Martin. I'm glad they went to the media. They wont lose their jobs, too much bad publicity in this story already. Whether it was KI, Cedar Fair, or the international job program that put them in substandard living conditions it's a good thing this was brought to light. Who's idea was it to put these kids in an apartment that was being renovated for 1200 a month (in West Chester no less?) That needs to be looked into. Highway robbery of young folks who didn't know any better. Whoever was in charge of this deal should be terminated immediately. It was either greed or ignorance and apathy. The PR alone should get this person fired (read your handbook hah). The funny thing is those kids are going to be treated like kings for the rest of the season.

Again, the $1200 per month was for all 4 people, not each.

I saw a bunch of international employees toying around on the internet the other day. I should have taken a picture. From what I understand, the other international associates aren't happy with the 4 who caused the bad PR because they're afraid that their coworkers will look down upon them. They really want nothing to do with this. The vast majority are very hard workers that simply get lumped into the same group as these 4.

I mean, all I can really tell you to do is next time you're at KI and you see an international worker, ask them about it yourself. I think you'll hear very different opinions than the four involved. I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm simply supplying everyone with the facts that WCPO was also supplied with and chose to omit from their report. Of course, WCPO never let's the truth get in the way of a good story.

I mean, all I can really tell you to do is next time you're at KI and you see an international worker, ask them about it yourself. I think you'll hear very different opinions than the four involved. I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm simply supplying everyone with the facts that WCPO was also supplied with and chose to omit from their report. Of course, WCPO never let's the truth get in the way of a good story.

I understand that. But the people you are referring to have nothing to do with the situation and I'm not really interested in hearsay. I just wondered because you were pretty quick to badmouth them.

Again, the $1200 per month was for all 4 people, not each.

I saw a bunch of international employees toying around on the internet the other day. I should have taken a picture. From what I understand, the other international associates aren't happy with the 4 who caused the bad PR because they're afraid that their coworkers will look down upon them. They really want nothing to do with this. The vast majority are very hard workers that simply get lumped into the same group as these 4.

Regardless how many were there, that is simply not at $1,200 apartment in that area. For $1,200 it should be very, very, very impressive for that area.

And to do that would be just as effective as the sensationalized I Team report.

It depends on what is included for the $300.00 per person per month, Utilities transportation and maybe other services we don’t know about.

Just saying I don’t know and so far the I-Team or Kings Island has told us what the $300 includes.

If $300/ month includes all utilities (water, electric, garbage, maintenence, internet, cable, phone, fridge) they are getting a DEAL! I am going to guess that KI signed the lease for these students, since they are from another country. I am also going to guess that things like cable and phone were also taken care of by the park for the same reason.

And after listening to the area that they are living, it does sound like it is not the nicest of areas. But according to these links it does not sound too bad:

http://www.apartmentcities.com/Ohio/d/wood...the_lake_OH.asp

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community...ile/1031895.php

http://www.rentalguideapartments.com/Apart...gId/165809.html

Read into the story a little bit. KI did admit that housing for these internationals did fall through at the last minute, and they found these apartments at the last minute. From that link I found, it does not sound like that bad of a place to live. I'm not saying that it is a good place, but from the link, it does not sound bad.

So is it really KI that should be investigated, or should it be the management group that operates the apartments? Because from the way it looks, if it is as bad as described, the management group is as guilty, or even more guilty, than what KI was blamed for.

I understand that. But the people you are referring to have nothing to do with the situation and I'm not really interested in hearsay. I just wondered because you were pretty quick to badmouth them.

I didn't badmouth anybody. I simply supplied the facts that were neglected from the WCPO report. I am curious as to why when 4 employees say something negative it's fact, but when 200 disagree it's hearsay.

Woofer hit the nail right on the head -- you can go up to anybody's work and the happiest employees can make it look like Disneyland and the most disgruntled can make it look like Auschwitz.

If $300/ month includes all utilities (water, electric, garbage, maintenence, internet, cable, phone, fridge) they are getting a DEAL! I am going to guess that KI signed the lease for these students, since they are from another country. I am also going to guess that things like cable and phone were also taken care of by the park for the same reason.

And after listening to the area that they are living, it does sound like it is not the nicest of areas. But according to these links it does not sound too bad:

http://www.apartmentcities.com/Ohio/d/wood...the_lake_OH.asp

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community...ile/1031895.php

http://www.rentalguideapartments.com/Apart...gId/165809.html

Read into the story a little bit. KI did admit that housing for these internationals did fall through at the last minute, and they found these apartments at the last minute. From that link I found, it does not sound like that bad of a place to live. I'm not saying that it is a good place, but from the link, it does not sound bad.

So is it really KI that should be investigated, or should it be the management group that operates the apartments? Because from the way it looks, if it is as bad as described, the management group is as guilty, or even more guilty, than what KI was blamed for.

Those photo don't show the mounds of bird crap or the cops raiding the place for illegals on a weekly basis. trust me I have been in them and know people who lived there It is a nightmere.

I didn't badmouth anybody. I simply supplied the facts that were neglected from the WCPO report. I am curious as to why when 4 employees say something negative it's fact, but when 200 disagree it's hearsay.

Woofer hit the nail right on the head -- you can go up to anybody's work and the happiest employees can make it look like Disneyland and the most disgruntled can make it look like Auschwitz.

Exactly.

And what I'm saying is that I don't think that anyone can surmise by the I Team report that there is or is not anything wrong.

Yes, maybe the park has done wrong.

The only thing that we do know is that WCPO continues to create tabloid television with very little concern for those pesky little things call facts.

Those photo don't show the mounds of bird crap or the cops raiding the place for illegals on a weekly basis. trust me I have been in them and know people who lived there It is a nightmere.

You are correct, the pictures don't show things like that. And that is the point I am trying to get across.

Is it's KI's fault that the apartments are like that, considering the glowing specs given through apartment search sites that I found; or is it the apartment managements' fault for letting people live like this and giving false descriptions of the living conditions?

If you think about it, the amount of KI workers living there is a very small percentage to all the residents there. Why did the TV station make it look like a KI issue, and do an "I" team investigation, when it really was not a KI issue but (according to you, and I am not disputing what you have seen or know) a slum lord issue?

The quick answer I can see is that the "I" team has done slum lord investigations in the past. So another "I" team investigation on slum lords would be just that. But now if you put "Kings Island" in the title, it sounds like a brand new story, and a shocking one at that. That would be sensationalization at its best- gripping the viewer with a catchy title.

According to the links I found, it sounds like a great place. We really don't know what kind of time constraints KI was under to house these internationals. We also don't know if the entire property is like you described, or, if it only a few units. For all we know a KI representative could have actually looked into the apartments, saw some good looking ones (like the ones in the pictures), and felt satisfied with the conditions.

And here is the real kicker: we are just a bunch of internet fanboys of a certain park. Look at the information we thought of, and the information we found. I find it difficult to believe that this so called "I" team could not think and do some of the same things. And they do these "investigations" for a living.

Unless they had ulterior motives...

You are correct, the pictures don't show things like that. And that is the point I am trying to get across.

Is it's KI's fault that the apartments are like that, considering the glowing specs given through apartment search sites that I found; or is it the apartment managements' fault for letting people live like this and giving false descriptions of the living conditions?

If you think about it, the amount of KI workers living there is a very small percentage to all the residents there. Why did the TV station make it look like a KI issue, and do an "I" team investigation, when it really was not a KI issue but (according to you, and I am not disputing what you have seen or know) a slum lord issue?

The quick answer I can see is that the "I" team has done slum lord investigations in the past. So another "I" team investigation on slum lords would be just that. But now if you put "Kings Island" in the title, it sounds like a brand new story, and a shocking one at that. That would be sensationalization at its best- gripping the viewer with a catchy title.

According to the links I found, it sounds like a great place. We really don't know what kind of time constraints KI was under to house these internationals. We also don't know if the entire property is like you described, or, if it only a few units. For all we know a KI representative could have actually looked into the apartments, saw some good looking ones (like the ones in the pictures), and felt satisfied with the conditions.

And here is the real kicker: we are just a bunch of internet fanboys of a certain park. Look at the information we thought of, and the information we found. I find it difficult to believe that this so called "I" team could not think and do some of the same things. And they do these "investigations" for a living.

Unless they had ulterior motives...

Not only is it a "new" story, but it's a much bigger story.

I think that it's pretty obvious that the I Team found the information that they wanted to find.

My guess is that this story and the conclusions that they were to find were in the tank before any reporter or camera person hit the pavement.