I-Team Investigates KI Foreign Worker Program?

XGatorHead 8904

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the WCPO commercial about how John Mataresse "prevents the unthinkable." Give me a break, they sensationalize the crap out of everything. Maple, are you sure there is a follow up story on this evening? I hate sitting and watching this channel.

Ya'll are so lucky to have a John Mataresse!

There is no one else to save any of the rest of us from The Unthinkables!

"Minutes away. . . a follow up to our story on how Kings Island supposedly treats its international employees." This quote read by the newscaster followed by the clip from last weeks episode of the employee saying "we feel like we are in prison."

Sensationalism at its finest.

^But did you watch any of the pieces, they didn't pay through Kings Island, they paid through an agency called WISE. Brown, I believe the other expenses they are referring to are to help pay for other parts of their international program that the kids signed up for. They did not just sign up for coming to KI to work for the summer, their program runs throughout the year and includes studying abroad here in the U.S.

^But did you watch any of the pieces, they didn't pay through Kings Island, they paid through an agency called WISE. Brown, I believe the other expenses they are referring to are to help pay for other parts of their international program that the kids signed up for. They did not just sign up for coming to KI to work for the summer, their program runs throughout the year and includes studying abroad here in the U.S.

Well that makes sense.

But it brings up other questions (not necessarily for you Gordon ;) ):

Why did the article state that the internationals could be deported if fired from KI since their VISA is sponsored by another agency? Because that is the way it sounds.

The students who spoke to us know they took a chance. King's Island sponsored their visas. If they lose their jobs, they could be deported.

From the WISE website:

Program Dates and Duration:

You can choose the length of the program in which they are interested. WISE will issue the visa for the length of time specified by the offer letter of the company you will work for. Most companies are interested in students that can make at least a three-month commitment. There are a few opportunities for students available for 2 and a half months. If you successfully complete your program you may be able to stay an additional 30 days in the US but you are not permitted to work during this period. The general dates of availability are listed below. There are some minor variations of the eligibility dates depending on the country where you are attending school. If you are unsure please contact us for confirmation.

Summer Program: May-November (4 month maximum)

Students arrive as early as mid-May and as late as early August.

Participants are generally from the Northern Hemisphere.

Winter Program: December - April (4 month maximum)

Students arrive from early to mid-December.

Participants are from generally from the Southern Hemisphere.

-AND-

Why would "Miguel" be upset about the $3000 he spent on travel to work at KI, if he would be working elsewhere?

He says his one job sweeping at King's Island won't pay back the nearly $3,000 he spent coming here. He can barely cover food and what he pays King's Island for rent.

I'd be a bit miffed too if I paid 3G's for to learn about another country and and ended up a sweeper at KI whos day includes waking up eating going to ki and going home.

Seriously WTF why couldn't they get furnished apartment. They expected them to pay for that as well. I would expect for anything over a 2 week stay to be either furnished in an extended stay hotel or a furnished apt.

At least it seems the people of Cincinnati are not going to sit idly by and let KI and this organization ruin these kids summer. Were on a KI FANSITE which means whatever the park spits out is gold. Hyped to death or not, these kids were mis treated and its going to be up to our own citizens to help show them that Cincinnati and the US isn't about the will of KI or the Organization that brought them here. When you blow the whistle you are never popular, but hopefully next year KI will provide better conditions for them and spend some extra scratch instead of having to pay the PR battle. This isn't going to end with the newscast. KI is going to have this stigma for years and some people who are going to chose weather to go or not will hear "well i heard a story about how they treated their workers like zoo animals and such" Recovery will not be swift. People STILL think SOB killed people

Thats your choice. I am sure others will step in. These 4 have learned a valuable lesson already, one way to get things done in this country is to go to the media. Journalists do dig there claws in and don't let go. How it was edited was suspect but at the end of the day action is being taken. Remember if it wasn't for things like the I-team or don't waste your money or troubleshooter people would get away with a lot more.

I'd be a bit miffed too if I paid 3G's for to learn about another country and and ended up a sweeper at KI whos day includes waking up eating going to ki and going home.

But that is the type of job they were expected to get.

From the WISE site:

College students from around the world can work in seasonal positions, live in and learn about the United States, travel, and make friends during their summer break from school.

The average participant receives a wage of $6.50 per hour depending on the location chosen. Some positions may pay more, some less. Frequently, the positions that pay less have better benefits such as lower cost housing, meals, transportation, etc.

Exactly what kind of job do you expect for $6.50 an hour?

Seriously WTF why couldn't they get furnished apartment. They expected them to pay for that as well. I would expect for anything over a 2 week stay to be either furnished in an extended stay hotel or a furnished apt.

But they were supposed to get only the basics, and were well aware of that.

Almost 100% of WISE arrange placements already include housing. If you are placed by WISE in a site that provides housing you will probably be required to use this housing as the employer may have made a financial commitment to the housing site transportation logistics, etc. Without the employer making this type of commitment it is likely that they would not participate in the program at all. Applicants should expect the basics: You will normally have a shared bedroom, a shared bathroom and sometimes a shared kitchen. WISE will provide you with detailed information about your housing for WISE arranged placements at the time you receive your offer from an employer. In this information we will detail what you need to bring, housing costs, deposits if any, etc.

Were on a KI FANSITE which means whatever the park spits out is gold. Hyped to death or not, these kids were mis treated and its going to be up to our own citizens to help show them that Cincinnati and the US isn't about the will of KI or the Organization that brought them here.

Actually, when it comes down to many people, it's the "fanboys" of a site that are the most critical of a park.

And everything that I found, took just a couple of clicks of a mouse button, KI had nothing to do with it. So far, it seems that what these kids have is what they were supposed to get according to the WISE website. It's just that, they expected more. And if they were one of the 50 where housing fell through, and got stuck in a place that was not as nice as where the other internationals are staying, they are feeling slighted and feel the need to go to the media and complain about it, instead of doing the stand-up thing and dealing with KI directly.

Isn't it funny that the "I" team did not investigate the other internationals' housing that is not located in West Chester? Heck, they were not even mentioned.

Now if KI did not meet the standards for shuttling these kids back and forth to the park, then shame on them. But at this point, that appears to be KI's only fault, and they have since rectified the situation.

This is the part I find very intresting:

WISE Services for you include:

Guaranteed Job Placement prior to arrival

Experienced, Friendly Staff

Thorough review of WISE placements to ensure suitable opportunities and accessibility to housing and transportation.

Affordable Housing arrangements for all WISE arranged placements

Documentation and support for obtaining your J-1 visa (DS-2019 form)

Assistance with Your Visa Application

Comprehensive Health Insurance – Affordable, no deductible

Pre-Departure Orientation

Advice on or assistance in obtaining Social Security Card

An Emergency, Toll Free 24-hour Assistance telephone number : 1-888-242-7456

Support from your WISE partner organization before your arrival, and support from WISE Offices and Staff while you are in the U.S.

Upon arrival, logistical support, including complete travel directions to job site.

Detailed participant handbook including travel tips to enjoy your free time

Post-Arrival Orientation through your host site

Tax Referral Services which will assist the participant in reclaiming a good portion of taxes paid in the U.S.

- So WISE also had to approve where these kids were living and what they are paying for, not just KI. Something the "I" team failed to mention.

- They get affordable health insurance, with no deductable. Now I can see where some of the $3000 is being spent.

- They have use of a Emergency, Toll Free 24-hour Assistance telephone number. But called the media instead? That is intresting.

- They get full support from WISE, and just do not rely on KI. So did WISE just forget about these kids? Or did these kids just expect too much? Because, at this point, that is the direction it appears to be going.

- They get a detailed handbook of things to do in the area. And according to the apartment description, there is public transportation for the complex.

People STILL think SOB killed people

And that statement alone should really explain on how the general public will believe everything they hear.

• 2 weeks later...
This is NOT good. Somehow, I doubt Mr. Kinzel is smiling.

Why?

I'm sure that WSB has a larger viewership than all four of Cincy's major broadcast stations.

Imagine the publicity that KI is getting?

But the thing that I liked about this story is that they did not place the blame on KI but on the company that ran the program.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an employee at KI, and I had a chance to spend a day off work with some girls involved in this program. They were all very intelligent, fun, and nice. They weren't complaining bitterly, they were just disappointed at the amount of money they paid to come experience America, only to find an overpriced apartment furnished with air mattresses and nothing else. And even now, after this story, there has been zero improvement in the conditions.

From what I gathered, they only had the option of living in these apartments, with their expensive rent and zero public transportation. The Metro buses do not have routes in West Chester, and these students have only the two shuttle busses a day that take them to King's Island. If these busses don't coincide with the start of their shift, they have to wait til whenever it starts.

The only way they get food is to cross the four lane Cincinnati Dayton road to get to the wal-mart. When I hung out with them, it was the first time they'd done anything outside of work in over a week.

From my experience, these girls wanted to enjoy America and when they signed the contract they were promised many amenities they were not provided with. Would you go to study abroad in a foreign country to be provided only with an empty apartment and an air mattress, with no access to anything but work, a wal-mart, and a waffle house?

King's Island had to have been misleading about the conditions they would be provided with, or else there's no way they would have paid the airfare and exorbitant rents... just to spend all summer working to pay off the airfare and exorbitant rents. And with absolutely no means to experience Cincinnati besides the kindness of fellow employees.

The rent is a little expensive at $400 per person, but that's all inclusive. Word from under the black hat is that they have purchased a bus for them as well.

Being that there are multiple people in the apartments paying $400 per person......

A little expensive is kinda an understatement.