I-Team Investigates KI Foreign Worker Program?

XGatorHead 8904

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me they wouldn't compain if the stayed at the Dorms at the Point... I will take a park bend and a newspaper any day over those. No seriously improvements have been greatly made to the dorms at the point, just another reasson their international program works so well.

KI just doesn't have the logistics and it sounds like the company sponsoring the whole thing is a joke, but for every bad story Im sure there is a good one. But bad news sells news

The rent is a little expensive at $400 per person, but that's all inclusive. Word from under the black hat is that they have purchased a bus for them as well.

Being that there are multiple people in the apartments paying $400 per person......

A little expensive is kinda an understatement.

According to the report from Atlanta, rent is $1200 a month for a four-person apartment, which is $300 per person. If, as BoddaH1994 claims, that is all-inclusive, the price isn't bad. I'll be paying just over $350 a month for a four-person appartment in Clifton, and that doesn't include heat, electricity, or internet access. The living conditions are not what was advertised to the students, and that is certainly very wrong, but as far as pricing goes, I'd say it's comparable to that of a "normal" housing situation.

The rent is a little expensive at $400 per person, but that's all inclusive. Word from under the black hat is that they have purchased a bus for them as well.

Being that there are multiple people in the apartments paying $400 per person......

A little expensive is kinda an understatement.

According to the report from Atlanta, rent is $1200 a month for a four-person apartment, which is $300 per person. If, as BoddaH1994 claims, that is all-inclusive, the price isn't bad. I'll be paying just over $350 a month for a four-person appartment in Clifton, and that doesn't include heat, electricity, or internet access. The living conditions are not what was advertised to the students, and that is certainly very wrong, but as far as pricing goes, I'd say it's comparable to that of a "normal" housing situation.

$1,200 per month in Cincinnati would be expensive for a 4 person apartment. Take into consideration that this is not even in Cincinnati, it's phenomenal. Atlanta has what would be considered pretty steep housing and $1,200 puts you in a pretty nice apartment. Before I bought my house down here, I was in a three bedroom apartment for $950/month.

Certain amenities are included in the $1,200/month price including such things as home phone and internet. There was some misconnunication or misunderstanding about these things. It was the workers' responsibility to call Cincinnati Bell to have these things installed. Most did it, some didn't. If you look at all of the living expenses that are added up, the $300 per month is right in the ballpark. This also included things such as transportation to and from Kings Island.

I wonder what kind of bus it is. I had the idea of acquiring a used bus from a local transit authority - even though they've aged, and the TAs are required to replace their fleet every so often, many buses are still in good working order. I know COTA is replacing some of their Flxible Metros (35 and 40 foot), and I'm sure Cincinnati's Metro system is also getting rid of some older ones.

I myself lived at Woodridge on the Lake from April 1999 to March, 2000 and the living conditions there indeed were not good. I constantly had headaches and was fatigued. I found out after I moved out that there was mold in the buildings. Also, there was a big fire in one of the neighboring buildings which caused the building to burn to the ground.

I am really miffed at the personal attacks being levied by many of you on this forum against the foreign workers. I am not by any means saying that KI is responsible for the situation. We don't have enough information to determine that. What is clear to me is that the workers indeed are living in less than healthy living conditions. They are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

Many of you feel that if the workers had gone to their employer instead of the press, all of their problems would have been solved. I speak from personal experience and, believe me, many people for good reason are afraid to go to their employers for fear of retribution such as dismissal.

For those of you who are in the workers' age group, I ask you how you would feel if you were in a strange land and subjected to a similar situation? And to those of you like me who could be those workers' parents, I ask what if it was your son or daughter?

I myself lived at Woodridge on the Lake from April 1999 to March, 2000 and the living conditions there indeed were not good. I constantly had headaches and was fatigued. I found out after I moved out that there was mold in the buildings. Also, there was a big fire in one of the neighboring buildings which caused the building to burn to the ground.

I am really miffed at the personal attacks being levied by many of you on this forum against the foreign workers. I am not by any means saying that KI is responsible for the situation. We don't have enough information to determine that. What is clear to me is that the workers indeed are living in less than healthy living conditions. They are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

Many of you feel that if the workers had gone to their employer instead of the press, all of their problems would have been solved. I speak from personal experience and, believe me, many people for good reason are afraid to go to their employers for fear of retribution such as dismissal.

For those of you who are in the workers' age group, I ask you how you would feel if you were in a strange land and subjected to a similar situation? And to those of you like me who could be those workers' parents, I ask what if it was your son or daughter?

So you would not fear dismissal by going to a media outlet?

Now that one boggles the mind.

Guest kwindshawne

Perhaps going to the media was the only option to get things corrected. We dont know if they tried that route or not-face it, those kids are stuck and are at the mercy of whoever sponsors them when they come to a foreign country. I am appalled as well at some of the attitudes on here towards the foreign workers. No one should have to work and live under those types of conditions. There is no way to sugar coat this-it was handled like crap and now the point is to make it as good as possible for the time thats left.

As far as going to your employer on a problem-well, at my full time job there is some favoritism going on, and I know the minute I complain, my time there will be made miserable. The perpetrator is a lead and has caused several people to quit over the years I have been there. Just yesterday I received a political, racial email from this person, and that did it. The best thing for me to do, is leave after 7 years.

So you would not fear dismissal by going to a media outlet?

Now that one boggles the mind.

I wouldn't fear dismissal. In fact I would dare the employer to even think of dismissing me for going to the media, for I would be entitled to unemployment benefits if that were the reason for discharge. I am sure that the employer would hestiate about discharge if they were to risk higher unemployment premiums.

I wouldn't fear dismissal. In fact I would dare the employer to even think of dismissing me for going to the media, for I would be entitled to unemployment benefits if that were the reason for discharge. I am sure that the employer would hestiate about discharge if they were to risk higher unemployment premiums.

Ohio is an At Will Employement State. You could certainly be dismissed for far less and be dismissed. Being that the parties involved are not citizens of the country or residents of the state of Ohio, I would doubt they would qualify for Unemployement Benefits.

I agree about being dismissed from KI for any reason. If in the process of their employment contract with KI and the agencyh involved they discussed the details of the agreement or disclosed confidential information they have the right to dismiss them. For that matter, they can dismiss any employee for discussing online here any details about the new roller coaster that is in the works if it has not been released by the park. With Ohio as an at will state, we can be released for any reason or no reason. As for this report by the ITeam from channel nine it is nothing more than a hit piece. I have seen news reporters there released for no reason other than they no longer fit in with their plans. I bet if channel five news (where the news comes first) did a piece on WCPO employment practices they can put them in a bad light.

But employment at will contracts are subject to Ohio Unemployment laws. Yes, an employee in an at -will contract can be fired for any reason or no reason at all but if he or she is a covered employee and is fired without just cause as defined by unemployment law, they are entitled to unemployment benefits. Of course foreign workers probably wouldn't qualify for unemployment benefits. I simply brought up the unemployment benefits issue because the question was directed directly to me, ie would I fear reprisal for going to the press about an action by my employer.

Again, I am in no way saying that KI did anything wrongful as to the workers. However, if you work for a company, I think you must always remember it is your own responsibility to look out for your best interests. Employers are usually looking out for their best interests, not yours. That is simply a fact of life.

But employment at will contracts are subject to Ohio Unemployment laws. Yes, an employee in an at -will contract can be fired for any reason or no reason at all but if he or she is a covered employee and is fired without just cause as defined by unemployment law, they are entitled to unemployment benefits. Of course foreign workers probably wouldn't qualify for unemployment benefits. I simply brought up the unemployment benefits issue because the question was directed directly to me, ie would I fear reprisal for going to the press about an action by my employer.

Again, I am in no way saying that KI did anything wrongful as to the workers. However, if you work for a company, I think you must always remember it is your own responsibility to look out for your best interests. Employers are usually looking out for their best interests, not yours. That is simply a fact of life.

As overtime is exempt for seasonal employees, I'm pretty certain that unemployment is excluded as well.

As far as "without just cause" I would consider a direct violation of the employee code of conduct would qualify as just cause.

And that brings us back to the fact that the international students are not residents of the state of Ohio. Unemployment being a state coverage with some federal backing, I would figure that individuals on a guest Visa would not qualify.

I just talked to a few of the people that I'm friends with in the same apartments described on the news. I'm friends with them and hung out with them a couple times over the summer, so they'd have no reason to lie to me or exaggerate.

I asked them if things had gotten any better since the news story.

They told me yes, they had. They came and sprayed the apartments to get rid of the bed bugs.

Of course, to do this they had to deflate the air mattresses, and since they had no pumps they ended up sleeping on the floor.

Don't tell me that King's Island expects them to buy their own beds for one summer, or ship them for Europe. How insulting is it to make people in their 20's spend a summer sleeping on an air mattress?

I just talked to a few of the people that I'm friends with in the same apartments described on the news. I'm friends with them and hung out with them a couple times over the summer, so they'd have no reason to lie to me or exaggerate.

I asked them if things had gotten any better since the news story.

They told me yes, they had. They came and sprayed the apartments to get rid of the bed bugs.

Of course, to do this they had to deflate the air mattresses, and since they had no pumps they ended up sleeping on the floor.

Don't tell me that King's Island expects them to buy their own beds for one summer, or ship them for Europe. How insulting is it to make people in their 20's spend a summer sleeping on an air mattress?

Thank you KILifeguard for standing up for what's right.

There has been a lot of debate about whether or not it was right for the workers to go to the press. This is another example of the blame the victim mentality. How the workers' responded to their situation (ie going to the press instead of their employer) is really totally irrelevant. ( and unless any of you were in a similar postition and alone in a strange county, what right have any of you to pass judgment? ) The fact of the matter is they have been living in substandard conditions and someone must accept responsibility for this.