Cedar Fair looking to layoff spongebob and friends

Mr.Smiley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say. Screamscape is often right. From what I have heard, Viacom has been demanding a very high payment for continued use of the Nick theming...so if Cedar Fair does not renew it would not surprise me. Snoopy won't come cheap, though, either....Unlike Lance, I would NOT assume Snoopy would be coming if Nick is leaving. May be, may not be. For now, I'd say the outlook is murky.

It's hard to say. Screamscape is often right. From what I have heard, Viacom has been demanding a very high payment for continued use of the Nick theming...so if Cedar Fair does not renew it would not surprise me. Snoopy won't come cheap, though, either....Unlike Lance, I would NOT assume Snoopy would be coming if Nick is leaving. May be, may not be. For now, I'd say the outlook is murky.

I agree with Interp on Snoopy and Hanna-Barbara. My guess is that Nick U, and Nick Centrals will get a name like "Kiddy Kingdom", or drop the theme areas period. De-nicking the area would most likely only cost the price of stripping the characters off the theming. Who says they have to paint the rides and theming. OddCoaster doesn't have a face on the green train. Let alone put in new faces.

All I have to say is that they had better not lay them off before I get a picture with Spongebob. You never get too old to love that show :)

Do they have a costumed Patrick running around or am I going to have to settle for a picture with the statue version near Plankton's Plunge?

Well, remember what this company did at Geauga Lake to the Looney Tunes area....Kidzville, I believe it was....they even left tons of carrots sitting around with their green carrot tops!

Remember that SDATHC is separately licensed through Sally....

Exactly my point, but it was Kidworks Playzone. :P I say give SpongeBob and his friends the pink slip!

I think that they should pay the piper and stick with the Nick stuff. Spongebob and company are still very hot with kids and I am gonna guess that they will sell a whole lot more merchandise and give the kids a generally better experience. My 7 and 10 year old really dig the Nick themed stuff and I think they would be disappointed if it changed to something else. I think Hanna Barbara is a fine idea if a change must occur. Parents will have the nostalgia and the kids still dig some of the more known characters. Though I like the Peanuts, that would be my last choice.

True, if you asked a regular 9 year old what are Peanuts?

They would most likely say...

Food?

Go back thirty? years ago,

Snoopy Charlie Brown, Linus....so on and so fourth.

(emphasis added)

Okay, so who IS fourth?

Terpy, who wonders if it was Pigpen (and how many remember the politically incorrect Pigpen?)

True, if you asked a regular 9 year old what are Peanuts?

They would most likely say...

Food?

Go back thirty? years ago,

Snoopy Charlie Brown, Linus....so on and so fourth.

(emphasis added)

Okay, so who IS fourth?

Terpy, who wonders if it was Pigpen (and how many remember the politically incorrect Pigpen?)

it could have also been pepperment pattie, or even woodstock, better yet maybe the fourth is the red barron.

Well, remember what this company did at Geauga Lake to the Looney Tunes area....Kidzville, I believe it was....

For what it's worth, Kidzville at Canada's Wonderland looked beyond LAME!!

As far as Nick U. going bye-bye, while I'm a 20's-something without kids (...yet!, likely), I do think losing Nick U. will be a big loss....BUT my business acumen in me asks this question, Terpy, could this be part of the negotiating ploy with Viacom?? Also, isn't Viacom under some new corporate leadership? I thought Viacom was run by Sumner Redstone's daughter, but I thought there was a shake-up there recently, and could the new people just have a different philosophy about the value of Nick branding, since it is undeniably very hot!! But it would seem that CF licensing Nick would have a lot of benefit to Viacom too, but maybe CF is just being too cheap....too many nickles, perhaps!? ;)

It could be a negotiating ploy...but remember Viacom already did one of their own, licensing Mall of America right beside Valleyfair to be a Nick Universe park...and doing so at the venue that used to be Camp Snoopy and used to be managed by Cedar Fair. There was more than a little message there....

Viacom is licensing Paramount Parks overseas. It would not surprise me if they would be less than unhappy if Cedar Fair did not renew the Nick license. They may have other plans of their own. Sumner Redstone controls Viacom with an iron hand, through his National Amusements company.

As for Cedar Fair being cheap, the entire company now has a market cap of less than a billion...or more than 15 percent less for what they paid for the Paramount Parks alone.

^^All very true facts to be considered!! However, hopefully they can come up with something better than Kidzville!! I mean, even the spelling with the 'z' is insulting/pathetic enough!!

However, I think thus far this season has (generally) proven that names are not all that crucial in the popularity of a ride (however lame such naming might be!), but when it comes to kids (and the parents!) I think the absent Nick theme will be FAR more noticeable!! Though, I am no research expert here, and will NOT play one on the internet! B)

If they were to remove the Nick themeing it would be nothing more than an old fashioned "dumb move". They got the gold ticket award for the best children's area in the world in 2006 for it so why in gods name would they wanna loose that honor?

If they were to remove the Nick themeing it would be nothing more than an old fashioned "dumb move". They got the gold ticket award for the best children's area in the world in 2006 for it so why in gods name would they wanna loose that honor?

a. They wouldn't lose that 'honor.' The Nick theming is not the sole factor in why they win it year after year...it's everything from the park's location, the whole atmosphere, the rides, the employees who operate the area, etc.

b. If they suddenly lost that honor, they'd find something else to promote and the virtually all of the ticket buying public couldn't possibly care less.

Bigger Question is ????

Would they do a good job with the retheme and would they add some rides:

Face fact I think under hanna barbera hey day's they had some great rides smurfs/ or fantastic voyage the ride with the boats they had out side and the hand cars, and the turtle, and the huge car ride back in the back:

Maybe Cedar Fair would add another kids are in the future:

So enough of the rambling Kids and families will still come if it was a generic kids park with no high cost themes'