Cedar Fair looking to layoff spongebob and friends

Mr.Smiley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TombraiderTy
what would they do with wild thornberrys and runaway reptar??

Those will be a pain to re theme including WT. its probably one of the better themed rides in the park.

They'd just remove all fibgerglass props and any signage that includes Nickelodeon stuff. Easy as that.

When they introduced NU it was nothing more than a Disko, a few additional carnival rides, the removal of shade, and lots of concrete. I honestly was never that impressed with NU and honestly wouldnt mind seeing it disappear.

I was highly impressed. I mean, honestly, compare it to 2005's Hanna-Barbera Land. It is now much more colorful and kids seem to enjoy it more. And the concrete was made interesting with changing colors/designs that stream through-out the area. And Avatar, have you ever seen a ride like that at a carnival? One of that size with the hump? I'm doubtful.

I believe several Hanna-Barbera movies will soon be coming out into theaters, which could help bring back some popularity. Then Cartoon Network would probably make new series based off them.

Yes Avatar is a bigger ride when compared to the other attraction in NU, thats why I mentioned it as a DiskO plus the addition of carnival rides. Fairly odd coaster, Reptar, and Thornberries already existed in the kids area before the entire area became NU. So once again I wasnt overly impressed with the tranformation seeing as how the area lost trees and its charm and got more concrete. Just not a fan of those exchanges.

Paramount could have created NU without the removal of so many trees, but instead the area lost its charm and became Action Zone jr... Maybe CF can rename NU Action Zone Kids or something else generic.

Could this really happen??? I mean Nick is popular and you would be crazy to remove it. How many awards for golden ticket did KI win before nick???

Its a great place and NICK is the best for kids for now.

But time we shall see, I know when i was up there with the family it seems they were having a huge sale at the nick store, in Nick universe.

But I'll tell you right now theming they will spend a lot to do it right look at blues skidoo needs all new cars to ride in:

The carousel will easily be fixed:

If they do fix it back to hanna barbera wish they would have kept all the hanna-barbera ride ons for the carousel:

Log flume will take a lil work as is avatar, and the train ride!!!

Copyright just one series. Make the entire area AVATAR. I'm only joking, of course. Although a non kiddie coaster themed on the Fire Nation would be totally sweet. Seriously though, for the kids area, Snoopy would be nice to see. Then again so would Hanna Barbera. But I like to think of myself as a free thinker. I would also enjoy a brand new concept be presented to the table.

• 8 months later...

So, meanwhile, Nick may end up in a park on the former site of Six Flags New Orleans, and Viacom is actively pitching for this:

Nickelodeon pitches theme park for Six Flags site

Spongebob Squarepants could be one of the attractions if the New Orleans Industrial Development Board backs a plan to convert the vacated Six Flags site into a Nickelodeon theme park.

Baton Rouge-based Southern Star Amusement is partnering with Viacom, Nickelodeon's parent company, to reopen the park that's been closed since Hurricane Katrina. The group planned to provide an application and a $500 filing fee by Thursday for the proposal to be considered at the next IDB meeting July 21...

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/view...cfm?recID=33648

Just a thought to ponder...first Mall of America (where Cedar Fair used to be the contract operator and have Camp Snoopy), now this. How likely do you think it is that Viacom and Cedar Fair have not reached an agreement on exclusive licensing for Nick at Cedar Fair parks, or even just the legacy Paramount Parks? Just a thought to chew on....

So, meanwhile, Nick may end up in a park on the former site of Six Flags New Orleans, and Viacom is actively pitching for this:

Nickelodeon pitches theme park for Six Flags site

Spongebob Squarepants could be one of the attractions if the New Orleans Industrial Development Board backs a plan to convert the vacated Six Flags site into a Nickelodeon theme park.

Baton Rouge-based Southern Star Amusement is partnering with Viacom, Nickelodeon's parent company, to reopen the park that's been closed since Hurricane Katrina. The group planned to provide an application and a $500 filing fee by Thursday for the proposal to be considered at the next IDB meeting July 21...

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/view...cfm?recID=33648

Just a thought to ponder...first Mall of America (where Cedar Fair used to be the contract operator and have Camp Snoopy), now this. How likely do you think it is that Viacom and Cedar Fair have not reached an agreement on exclusive licensing for Nick at Cedar Fair parks, or even just the legacy Paramount Parks? Just a thought to chew on....

If I remember correctly, Southern Star Amusement was the company interested in a purchase before that never came to fruition. Also if I'm remembering, it was due to lack of cooperation on the city's side. We'll see if it actually plays out this time.

A few more changes that occurred when Nick U debuted:

Two rides were moved to new locations:

Kiddie whip (Swiper's Sweepers) - originally located near where Avatar is now

Hampton umbrella ride (Go, Diego, Go!) - originally located between FOC and Lazytown Sport-a-copters; when moved, it got a new umbrella and new vehicles

Three rides and one attraction were removed:

Baba Louie's Buggies

Boo Boo's Baggage Claim

Jetsons Jet Orbiters

Emergency Green Slime Tower

Nickelodeon denies Six Flags NO rumors (sort of):

Despite few people actually talking about or giving any credence to recent rumors that Nickelodeon would be purchasing the seemingly abandoned Six Flags New Orleans amusement park, Nickelodeon has decided to address the matter. In a press release, Nickelodeon wholly denies any notion that the entertainment company is in any discussions with Six Flags Inc. concerning the purchase of the park. the statement does, however, affirm the company's interest in seeking licensing arrangements in the theme park business. No deals have yet been made.
(emphasis added)

http://www.lifthill.com/news/nickelodeon-d...lags-no-rumors/

Ok so here is my 2 cents worth. I would highly recommend taking a bunch of pictures around NU now just in case CF pulls another GL move on us and we dont get the opportunity to take those last pictures.

Granted, it's not like we're losing the whole park, but there is something so cool about Spongebob and crew. I have always loved the layouts of those themed rides. I especially like the Rugrats on the Runaway Reptar sign.

Even Im totally bored with Snoopy, but that could be because I spend way too much time at CP! :)

Jo

How about pbs world we could have barney and sesame street characters running around everywhere. as annoying and insane as that sounds my little one loves cailou. at first i was just joking but the more i think about it it may not be a bad idea. I just ask one thing in the retheme if it happens bring back The Beastie

Money, my friends, money. While what the consumer wants does influence a decision on Cedar Fair's part, in this situation, it's about the money. How much does Viacom want for those Nicktoons the kids love, and how much is Cedar Fair willing to pay? Will Snoopy be any cheaper? Will Hanna Barbera be any easier?

In the end, as it has been for everything in this industry,

Time will tell.

I say just slap a generic theme on NU- I like the Ride Warriors Lab idea that someone brought up a while ago. Bring Back Beastie, repaint Avatar to red and yellow- Diamondback Jr! Runaway Reptar could be Little Flight Deck. Timmy's Air Tours could be Crypt Jr! The Zamperla flying thing (can't remember name) could be Firehawk Jr.

I say just slap a generic theme on NU- I like the Ride Warriors Lab idea that someone brought up a while ago. Bring Back Beastie, repaint Avatar to red and yellow- Diamondback Jr! Runaway Reptar could be Little Flight Deck. Timmy's Air Tours could be Crypt Jr! The Zamperla flying thing (can't remember name) could be Firehawk Jr.

I'm also hoping for something like that, I think the kids would get a kick out of riding rides named after the big ones. Plus it would be a ton cheaper, with no liscenses needed, and not too much theming, just similar paint.

no need to repaint timmys air tours just replace it with the crypt

See the post immediately above yours...

Terpy, I come not to praise that thing, but to...

why remove when the kids might enjoy put something for the growed ups in its place in rivertown

just a playin hope its gone soon

I wouldn't care. I love Peanuts - besides, almost every other Cedar Fair park has a Peanuts area or don't have any theme at all. The only bad thing about leaving Nick is that it was unique. I don't think any other park had a whole Nickelodeon area.