War of the Worlds

Alien Seed

the_war_of_the_worlds_03.jpg

I was just doing some reading about the new Spielberg directed "War of the Worlds" movie, and I came across two interesting things. One is that it is reportedly the most expensive movie ever made, with a budget of about 120 million dollars. The second, and most important, is that it will be made by Paramount Pictures in conjunction with Dreamworks. I was just wondering if anyone else here sees the potential for one fantastic new ride in PKI"s (or one of the other parks') future, and if so, what kind of ride do you think it could be.

the_war_of_the_worlds_01.jpg

If they don't retheme FOF to MTV Soundwave I could see FOF being rethemed to this movie. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch considering War of the Worlds looks a lot like the theme that is already applied to FOF, they might just revamp the theming and maybe add more, plus a new video would be much appreciated.

Heh...I hope you didn't mean to say "War of the Worlds" is a new movie...and that you meant it's a remake directed by Spielberg. I dont want to sound mean or anything, but I think you mean 120 million british pounds. As it stands right now, 35 movies have cost $120,000,000 or more to make. Also, The new Harry Potter movie is supposed to cost more. The film, which starts production in April, will cost an estimated $315 million. That's $10 million more than the entire Lord of the Rings series. 120 million pounds is roughly $222 mill.

Kind of an interesting side note...In terms of real costs adjusted for inflation, the most expensive movie ever made was Cleopatra, a Paramount movie, whose $44 million budget would be equivalent to $306,867,120 today.

and thus...once again...proving that I have NNNOOOOOOOO life!!! :D

Of course I know it's a remake, where do you think I got the pictures from?

Yes, you were right, it was pounds not dollars. But all the articles I've read say that it will be the most expensive movie to date. I don't think they are adjusting for inflation to measure up against the huge flop, Cleopatra.

I deleted part of my last post because the numbers I read for Titanic were also in British Pounds. I don't know how I keep finding all these British sites and no American ones. By the way, "War of the Worlds" will technically be the most expensive movie ever made until "HP: GOF" arrives in theatres. Isn't WOTW slated for a summer release, while HP is set for November?

Ive read a few atricles saying War of the Worlds will be the most expensive...but all of them also have a lower number than the new Harry Potter movie...so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I also found out that neither Spielberg nor Cruise are getting any money up front. Instead they're both getting 20% of the box office...in other words...it's going to be a nice pay day for both of them

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that Paramount was working on the movie around the time of 9/11, and in one scene they had one of the alien ships crashing into the World Trade Center, and bringing the towers down. Then it happened for real, so Paramount decided it would be very distatesful to release it, so they had to go back to the drawing board and reshoot and rewrite a lot of the movie.

Like I said, dont know if its true, but thats what I heard. :P

War of the Worlds hits theaters June 29, 2005 after spielburg makes this movie he goes stright into Jurassic Park 4 which is to be released Summer 2006 and it's a new story that darft reviewed proved to be a lie..this time around the dinos invade america after escaping out of 2 of INGEN's bases in Mexico,Coasta Rica the last two bases that where operating and still cloning dinosaurs.Also after WOTW released it goes toe to toe with the Fantasic 4 movie.

''and in one scene they had one of the alien ships crashing into the World Trade Center, and bringing the towers down''<---Thats a lie because they didnt even start on this movie until late last year when they did casting sessions.

more info go here http://www.spielbergfilms.com/warworldsnews.html

I also found out that neither Spielberg nor Cruise are getting any money up front.  Instead they're both getting 20% of the box office...in other words...it's going to be a nice pay day for both of them

I wonder if that's 20% of gross or net? If it's gross, I don't see how any studio could ever make back their costs on this film. (They'd only have 60% of gross from which to make up all other costs...)

I think there's a lot of good attractions that could result from this movie. However, "theme park rights" are typically negotiated separately, so even though Paramount Studios is the movie's distributor, Paramount Parks may not end up with the rights to develop theme park attractions. (Speilberg does have a long history with Universal Studios...)

Joel

Yeah I say Universal will do something themed around this movie but in 2006 there are rumors of a new ride going in the Jurassic Park section of the park.So I say If universal does do something themed around WOTW I think it will be something like the van helsing and mummy mazes.

• 2 weeks later...

They're actually shooting War of the Worlds near where I live here in VA... Rockbridge County I think. They had an open casting session at one of the high schools for people to get a part in the movie. I read the War of the Worlds a long time ago... great book and I think it will be a movie definitely worth seeing. As for making a ride out of it, the rethemeing of FoF would work, so would a flying coaster (think BORG at PC, just not Vekoma). Would be interesting to see...

• 1 month later...

Yeah I say Universal will do something themed around this movie but in 2006 there are rumors of a new ride going in the Jurassic Park section of the park.So I say If universal does do something themed around WOTW I think it will be something like the van helsing and mummy mazes.

It's being made by Paramount, not Universal.

It's being made by Paramount, not Universal.

Yeah but Spielberg's company Amblin is very close to universal.

• 3 weeks later...