Herschend opens Duck tours on Ohio River

I remember Dayton having the Ducks downtown at the Great Miami, but they went out of business. Now that there are Ducks in Cincinnati, I'd love to try it out this summer.

Who wants to go to downtown Dayton? I use to live there, I should know

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I have never even heard of these things...but any time I see the word 'tour' mentioned in any sort of entertainment / travel / vacation setting, I tend to head the other way proper quick as it usually involves: 1)a loud mouth host with bad jokes 2)annoying tourists 3)loud, crying babies 4) All three.

What are these things?

• Like 4

They're amphibious vehicles based on an amphibious vehicle known as the DUKW which was used by the US during WWII (though the vehicles are custom built these days, apparently they initially started out using refurbished DUKWs).

I have yet to actually do this despite working at Newport on the Levee, but it is still extremely popular.

• Like 3

I honestly have no interest.

for me, and my personal experience, it's seems like taking a pontoon boat around Lake Cumberland.

And the only people that owned pontoon boats in my area of Lake Cumberland were old people, so it was a slow boat driven even more slowly by the growing-older-by-the-second owners of said pontoon.

Kids would be clawing at the dock not to be dragged onto the Pontoon Boat of Lost Time, while their parents are chirping, "Don't you want a boat ride?"

Boat ride, yes, a floating old folks' home with naught but last night's storm trash floating by? NO!

• Like 3

The Ohio River grosses me out. We had a cruise on one of the riverboats back in 2011, and had people from all over the country in town for the trip. The sewer smell at the place where we boarded the boat made some of us sick. I just don't like boating in the inland waterways, and there was all kinds of garbage floating by. It was embarrassing.

The green-powered boat rides in our National Parks, where you can see the sunlight dancing on the rocks 50 feet below the boat, are refreshing excursions.

• Like 4